Posts by MadH

Do you not think Mr Kemper thinks the Axe is inferior to the KPA? Not defending any of Fractal's comments about the Kemper, but your post is a bit misleading. Fractal has a very long history of product refinement. The Tone Matching feature on the surface does seem inspired by the Kemper, but if you dig a bit deeper you will see folks had been EQ matching recorded tracks using Ozone and creating matching IRs to load into the AxeFX for quite some time before the KPA was released, they simply automated that process. It is very different from KPA Profiling which requires an Amp. There was the addition of something similar to the KPA pick attack which was very likely inspired by keeping up with the competition, but really that is not an exclusively unique feature of the KPA either. And you folks glossed over the other point I made that Fractal now allowsyou to choose the FW you want to run for amp modeling so you can update the unit to get other features but choose whether or not to take advantage of modeling enhancement.

To anyone new to this board, IMHO there are a handful of folks over here (not pointing at you viabcroce) with a bit of a grudge towards Fractal and TGP (more specifically to 1 or 2 members there) who use this board to voice their displeasure.

It makes sense that you try to make your product as good as possible even if you have to take ideas from some other products. I think the issue for some people is that for them it does not make sense to publicly bash the main functionality of product, calling it inferior and then try to copy it, or take as many ideas from it as you can and use them to improve yours.

Saying that the tone Matching feature on the surface does seem inspired by the Kemper is falling a bit short. Maybe you are not aware of it, but as soon as the KPA was released they announced their "own profiling feature". Tone Matching was the result of it, and they did not go further because they could not since Kemper has a patent on it. After that there has been several others "upgrades" influenced by the KPA. The latest is obviously another one. It seems to work by basically using stats (achieved by some sort of profiling) to correct modeling on the fly.

I can attest that you do NOT want high humidity around your guitar. Nor do you want an very dry environment.

You hand sweats. Alot. But you typically have a treated neck, and if you don't (like my musicman guitar) you are supposed to keep it treated with an oil which prevents excess moisture. Excess moisture will cause the wood to warp, the frets to pop up, and in extreme cases, the fretboard to come up off from the neck.

Just ASK me how I know this! ;)

True. Excess and lack of humidity are the worst enemies for a guitar. In my case, I try as best as I can to keep the humidity between 40-50% where I keep my guitars. Anyway, nobody is talking about exposing their guitars to extreme humidity or temperature changes to make it sound better :D .

Btw, there is at least a couple of boutique guitar builders (Suhr and Tom Anderson) that offer maple roasted/baked necks. The process removes all the moisture from the wood. They say that adds stability while making the sound tighter and punchier.

We all guitar owners know that temperature and humidity affects wood since that's the main reason we have to keep adjusting the neck. The experiment simply proves that vibration has an effect as well on the properties of wood. In numerous occasions experiments are done in extreme conditions just because it is easier/faster to achieve results.

Anyway, I am also skeptical about this device doing what it is supposed to do but the point I am trying to make is that even the experts on the subject don't understand completely how wood works. So maybe stating a categoric NO to something that we don't fully understand is not the best thing to do. I rather wait and see the results.

Another interesting read http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02…heir-violins-improve.html

"The researchers vibrated beams of spruce at 10 cycles a second for 48 hours and the damping coefficient went down by 5 percent. The changes persisted when the vibrations stopped, they said. Lower damping coefficents mean that a single note is heard longer, which is considered a beneficial attribute."

"When the wood was vibrated in a chamber where the humidity was taken up to 80 to 90 percent, the damping coefficient went up fast before drifting downward, they reported. This resulted in a decrease in damping and increase in stiffness during vibrations that persisted when the vibrations were turned off, they said."

The first thing that popped in my head (and it is not the 1st time) was the beginning of this ad. The 2nd guy (headphones) in the ad even reminds me to someone from somewhere else. :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In other words, any guitar which has ever sat on the wall at a music store or on a stand in a studio is corrupted from the start. In order for wood to change its resonating character it would have to be excited enough to change its structure in some physically measurable way. Seriously, you would be able to take a sample under a microscope and examine its structure before and after and measure the difference. With the thin top on an acoustic instrument (especially unfinished), I can see that happening over time. But with a piece of solid wood nearly 2 inches think? Doubtful IMHO unless we're talking some very violent activity taking place or literally decades of playing at auditorium levels. Guess I'm a skeptic, if Jimi Hendrix (and countless others) bought guitars off music store walls and was able to do what he did, who am I to argue...

Vibration can alter the temperature of wood (up and down). When temperature change occurs this causes the wood to absorb or release moisture and we all know that this affects how a guitar sounds. Whether this device works or not I have no clue but vibration over time has a direct or indirect effect on wood acoustic properties.

Here is an interesting read http://www.acousticguitar.com/gear/advice/vibration.shtml

There is little to improve in the KPA profiling results and even less in the amp sound area. If you believe it really needs to be improved, you should invest some of your time in trying to create good profiles and then do A/B comparisons. You will see that you should not be concerned about it.

Personally at this point I prefer like many other to have more features like a librarian/editor, foot controller and more FX.

Thanks for your kind words and your constructive contribution

Don't take it seriously. I guess he was just making a joke based on your thread title. LOL

Btw, I do believe this thing could do something but I don't know about changing the dynamic response of a guitar. Most of the times I notice that just after a few months of playing with a new guitar the resonance changes. I have no clue if the reason is the vibrations running through it, humidity changes or whatever, ... but it usually changes for the better.

To me the response is mainly an interactive thing that happens between the player and the gear. By listening to clips you could only scratch the surface. You got to have the gear in your hands, there is no way around that IMHO.

If there would be differences in pick response (you said the Axe FX II was far more real) and dynamics like the ones you mention and most of all guitars sounding different depending on which device you run it through vs the amp that is easily noticed in a comparison clip.

Sorry, no time left for complicated clips. You could at least listen to the hum of single-coils, how it's getting translated by the kpa. Turn the NG off, to do so, and listen. Or you turn your vol pot down and see how the curve is, the kpa's reaction is different somehow, like if the was a comp before the amp.

The are differences in the noise level and hum in both the Axe FX II and the KPA vs the real amps but that cannot be used to measure differences on pick response or dynamics. (As for the vol pot down) If I am sure of something is that the KPA dynamics and response are by far more accurate in the KPA than in the Axe Fx II as of today. There has been many changes in the Axe Fx II in this area since the KPA was released and that's for a reason.

I am not saying that you are wrong. Maybe you do experience that with your KPA but so far I didn't with mine and I have not heard any clips from anybody where I could notice that either.

Yes, of course I did, otherwise I wouldn't say it, our minds are that crazy, we tend to hear what we want to hear. I used a Patchmate Loop8 to compare both units. Somehow the KPA has the ability to turn the crappy sound of some models of my JTV Variax into good sounds...and that should not be. For a good real amp the formula crap in = crap out is valid. So how then can that thing let my variaxs models let sound good, even the ones that sound crappy with my real amps and with the AxeII? You could say, be happy it always turns anything into a good sound, but what I want is something different, an honest return of what I do with the guitar, even when that can end in a bad sound when I play sloppy.

Could you post any clips comparing the amp vs Axe Fx vs KPA that demonstrate what you say? I have not noticed the KPA making my guitars to sound any different than what my amps do.

The pick response of the AxeII is far more real to me than the KPAs.

That's interesting. Have you done A/B comparisons with the real amps modeled/profiled? I found the KPA to be much more accurate when comparing it to my KPA to my Axe Fx II (already sold). I found the KPA pick response to be pretty much identical to the amps I compared it to while the Axe Fx II was far from identical.

LOL. I thought you said top selling artists....

Btw, Steve Vai does not use it for its amp tones. Just effects.

Well so sorry if I offended you by asking.
    It was a simple question, don't see what that have to do with trolling.
    But Ill keep that in mind and ask somewhere ells i guess.

LOL, don't worry. You did not offend anybody but still you have not answered with any example of top selling artist using the Axe Fx for its amp sounds.

As I said, I also don't really care, but comparing the artist list IMO the axe wins by 100000 miles.
    I am deff not a pro so i often look to an "expert" rewiewing a product.
    I just don't see any experts on the Kemper side.
    With experts i mean top selling artists.
    And i really wouldn't count Muse in, since they also own and use the Axe.

LOL. Maybe I am wrong but I smell certain scent of trolling.... :D

What would be for you a top selling artist or producer that is using the Axe for its amp sounds?

MadH,
    You were one of those that claimed to have identified a difference.
    I assume that you cannot hear a difference between your tracks.
    That is the best proof.

I mentioned in previous posts that I was able to hear differences in my clips from before and after the reset but those were more subtle in comparison to when I was playing and that maybe a part of it could be due to the latency changes like you mentioned. I understand that you do not notice any difference and that's ok with me.

Now about the technical background:
    A digital recording consists of 44100 (or more) separate numbers per second. The space inbetween is not sampled, and it doesn't need to. That's the Nyquist Theorem.
    If you do that same recording again, those numbers are sampled (sic!) at different locations. This will create a different picture but sounds the same.

There are ways to make the visual representation equal, but there is no need for that in music software. They are not necessarly made for comparing tracks visually.
    This is what I meant when I said we have to qualify our tools.
    Same story for the matching EQs.

Thanks a lot for taking your time with this. I understand that when you are doing analog to digital conversion the samples can be taken at different points in time so the resulting waves from the same source could be displayed slightly differently while still sounding the same.

Is your explanation still valid considering that I reamped all the tracks using only spdif? When I was comparing the tracks I discarded that as the possible reason because I thought that this could not happen when using a digital signal as source.

We tried hard to recreate these results, but no success.
    With such minor differences in an optical representation and often contradicting result, we all had to qualify the tools for those tests at first place.
    I am aware of many reasons why an optical representation of waveforms or spectrums could vary, while the sound is the same. I could go into detail, if you are interested.

What counts is that all clips do not reveal a perceptual sonic difference.

I would really appreciate if you could explain in detail since my knowledge on the subject is limited. I am only referring to the visual representations since I understood that you cannot hear any differences on any of the tracks.

When I compared the reamps for "1.5.4" vs "1.6.0 after the reset", I could easily see differences in the visual representation but I assumed those were normal and probably due to the antialiasing changes. What I don't understand is why we can see differences when comparing the reamps done with "1.6 before the reset" and "1.6 after the reset" specially when 2 reamps done with "1.6 after the reset" were visually identical.