Posts by BuckeyeBrown

I'm running KPA into 11R via SPDIF with no problems. You really just need to create your Pro Tools session at 44.1khz and it should work fine once you deactive the amp section on the 11r. You can also experiment with DI profile on the Kemper with a cab on the 11R.

I'm starting to realize how critical the cabs are on the Kemper so I'm now wondering how the 11R rigs sound using the Kemper's cabs?

Robman,

Thanks for sharing and nice work. I've been chasing that Gilmour "Castellorizon" tone and although I like the rigs I've come up with in doing so and think they have a Gilmour sound... its still not that close to that particular tone after I go back and listen to the real track. I'll definitely be tweaking your rig to see if I can do better than what I was coming up before having a G2 based rig to work with.

If you've got a compressor that's not squishy and a light overdrive that you could run into that g2 I would be curious how that sounds through that Hiwatt and love it if the Kemper would let you profile that signal chain.

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback.

I'll probably shoot for a straight G2 version of this rig but this time I'm going to use that early 70's Hiwatt profile that hit the exchange last week as the core of it. It's a great profile on its own. This time I'll try to nail it without feeling the need to add my Strymon compressor to get it there. If/when I come up with something worthy of sharing I'll let those interested know who are following this thread. Aiming for more sustain/gain while maintaining that fuzzy edge this go around...

Looking forward to this. I too have a Mojo Vibe but I wasn't hearing it (speaking chorus mode - ala Jimi) in the Kemper.

If what we get is as good as the Mojo I can foresee a couple hundred $ hitting my PayPal soon after! If we could profile our pedals and save them as standalone stomps (please add this CK), my board would pay for my KPA!!!

Od

Hey there... weren't you just asking for clips of my Gilmour rig w/ backing tracks? Ever see Gilmour's signal chain? LOL!!!

I'm not really set up to do that request btw - old PC, no stand alone drive for pro tools. I might try but really busy lately. Did you try it out yet? I was thinking about giving it another go but I think the guy that profiled a real Hi watt has a G2 on the way the he's planning on profiling with it but you sort of need to stack it after comp and od.

I will have a look!

CK

Thanks CK.

If possible, while you are testing it there seems to be some strange noises that generate even when no strings are being played. I don't have any idea what its from but I'm guessing its a compressor vs noise gate thing. Furthermore using a vintage pickup equipped strategy, listen to single notes decaying and there seems to be some unnatural decays that's being discussed in a couple other threads right now. I believe its a fight between the noise gate and the compressor that rears itself more with low output pickups, guitar volume and the KPA's input sensitivity. I hate to even put it like this but "in this situation" the unnatural decay has a glitchy digital feel. I'm sorry - I'm sure those probably sound like "fighting word" so please don't take me the wrong way. Love the KPA - I just came across this too on that Gil our rig.

Any info appreciated.

Yes, it is definitely profile specific - some exhibit the problem, some don't. I will try to refine my criteria, and post more specifics...

I too have experienced this and there is another thread on it. I don't know if its specific to this situation but where I've noticed it the compressor seemed to be fighting the noise gate on the decay of a gainy signal. With that said, your guitar pickups, guitar volume, and the KPA's input sensitivity settings would all have a big part in this. Grab my Gilmour rig from the exchange with a vintage style p.u. equipped strat and run stomps and see if you can get it and some other strange noises that come up when no strings are ringing.

When I first got my KPA I'm pretty sure that I accidentally deleted one of the factory stomps while mucking around trying to navigate the menus. If I did In fact do this, would it have been reloaded on a firmware update? I have no idea which one it was unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

You can also get some weird stuff happening with single note decays - noise gate premature cut offs I get - turn down the gate a little, but also unnatural things like the decay begins and then the compressor kicks in an elevated sustain level. Its like the gate and compressor can get real glitchy sounding like they're fighting over what to do with the signal when decaying a gainy signal.

Anyone else getting this too?

I've experienced it too. I had it in 1.06 too. Not sure if I had it before that.

I'm out of town for a couple days so I'm going from memory but I know that when I increased the compressor's first parameter (I believe its "compression") and trimmed the gain a little it helped, so I dimed the compression setting and then adjusted its mix parameter - for a temporary fix. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on but you can experience it with my Gilmour rig in the exchange.

Is this profile still available? The link in the first post is not working and i connot find it on rig exchange.

Thanks

Sorry Firebird - I accidentally switched the setting to not be shared. I think if you search for "Gilmour" now it should show up. Let me know what you think. After more time with it I think the G2 setting benefits from a clean boost on your signal before it hits the Kemper. I got a little excited about how well it cleans up with the guitar vol that I started shading it more in the direction of versatility than G2 tone but a clean boost does it for me.

I just discovered that I could store rigs on the Kemper website's cloud storage that only I can see (by changing the "Visibilty" setting on the tag editing page right before uploading). This means that I could upload rigs there and edit tags via my computer keyboard, store them there, wipe all rigs off my KPA and then put them back on with edited tags that would help me keep things organized by amp mfg/model, etc. At first I thought it would be best to do this be simply renaming the "Rig Name" tag to something like: abbreviated amp mfg name/model and then whatever else I could fit. On second thought it would be ideal to simply update the "Amp Name" tag to do this but there are some "seemingly" small changes that we would need for this solution to work...

• Allow us to upload a batch of profiles to the cloud storage area using something similar to the current option to "keep rig to myself" - i.e. they won't visible on the exchange

• Similarly, allow us to download them "all" back in a batch download - which we could do after we taking advantage of using the keyboard to edit them all. One at a time is brutal for these first two steps.

• Give us the option on the KPA when browsing to "Sort by Amp (tag) Name" - I personally would prefer this over have the ability to sort by date or author.

• To work with the last one - Change the browsing screen so that left column is Amp Name tag and right column is it's corresponding Rig Name Tag.

• Since the last one means 1/2 as many rigs per page - Activate the left/right page buttons to the right of the KPA's screen so that we can quickly turn pages with one click of a button. Also keep the ability to use the rig direction pad from the main screen to jump alphabetically.

Sorry... another thought....

What would really be helpful would be to let us sort rigs by "Amp Name" instead of by "Name" which is the tag for "Rig Name". This would mean that I would be more concerned with getting the "Amp Name" tag as I want for sorting purposed which shows up in smaller font above the rig name on the display of the KPA.

... making this request in the feature request forum now...

With the lack of having an standalone software librarian/editor program to run on your computer I've been trying to think of a way to keep things organized in a way that makes most sense to me - which would be to rename all of my profiles by abbreviated amp mfg name/model and whatever else I could fit and then take other info such as the creator's name, what mics were used, etc and store them elsewhere in the tags to refer to if needed. I simply haven't done this - cause its a big job with a ton of rigs now.

I just realized that I could upload a rig to be stored on the cloud storage at Kemper in the Rig Exchange area without having to litter up the exchange with a bunch of duplicate profiles already on the exchange that I just wanted to rename. When you upload a rig it takes you to where you can edit the tags right before it actually puts it on the website. In there you can change the "Visibility" to "keep the rig for yourself". With that said, and yes it's still a big job, but I could potentially upload all of my stuff on the Kemper cloud where it would be much easier to edit tags than from the KPA's front panel, clear everything off my Kemper and reload the renamed rigs (along with all the backed up cabs, input settings, stomps, etc.). There have actually been some zip files floating around in threads that have the rigs already organized by amp mfg name which would make it very convenient (relatively speaking).

Does anyone see any flaws with doing this? Yes, very slow process, many steps, etc. but as long as there are no limits to how many profiles I can upload to the cloud it should work right?

[/quote]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Electric Mistress was a flanger type of effect?[/quote]

The second page of parameters on the Phaser 01 effect on the Kemper has some controls like feedback that you might often find on a flanger. I didn't use much of it but if you increase it you'll get more into flange territory. The "stages" is very interesting too. I found that if you increase it, it seems to add more phases going on at the same time which creates a little less direction of the phasing and creates more of a washed out/balanced sort of thing although if you play with some of the other controls you can add or subtract how clear the rate of the effect comes through vs more of a wash out. I probably could have gone a little more over the top with it but like that sort of thing more for lead and not so much when going back to playing rhythm... ymmv

Honestly, the very best emulation of Gilmour's core tone. Big like and good job! :) For me, Stomp B sounds something like the Dark Side era, and Stomp D sounds more like The Wall era. I'm still struggling to find a good setting on the flanger/chorus/rotary, though. I'm aiming to get something like an Electric Mistress (think about the tone in Young Lust, or Comfortably Numb's solo / Time's lead tone). Any suggestions?

I'll be deleting the rig from the exchange and reloading it without the loop on and I've also added on effect "X" (inactive by default) a Young Lust-ish phaser sound - not meant to be an exact match/didn't listed to the song and time it or anything like that, just tweaked until I got what I liked.

Up in a few and will edit the link above...