Posts by Garrincha

^cool, I'll have to try that cab out. There's another guy who uploaded a handwired JTM recently, cool stuff. On my JTM I dialed in lots of mids and decreased the Highs...credit goes to Kemper pal Pete Turley, it's his mod from years ago.

This is how Mark Knopfler sets up his JTM 45. Looks like it's not that far away from what you did. He dialed in a good deal of mids and treble and dialed out the bass. He also seems to turn the presence fairly much down.

[Blocked Image: http://www.mk-guitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/marshall-jtm45.jpg]

I have an empty Marshall 4x10 straight cabinet, l've been considering gutting the EV and putting the parts in the Marshall, just to have the "look"....

I've been thinking of exactely the same thing only that I don't have an EV to gut ;) I might be looking into 12" coax speaker and suitable crossovers. Should be fairly flat and full range and would have the "look".
    I also would like the look of those stylish boutique cabs (like the /13 cabs) somehting with the tolex, piping and grill-cloth in the same color scheme as the Kemper. Now that would be cool.
    Uhm, well guitar players are just plain nuts I think ;)

That JTM jazzy neck is a tone I like to use with my guitar tone rolled back, cool smooth tones

I took the greenback cab from the Siggi Mehl amp and used that with your JTM jazzy neck and got an instant Mark Knopfler "Brothers in arms" sound when using the neck PU my R8 Les Paul. I knew Mark used a vintage JTM 45 on the original record and he still has it and used it whenever he needs that cello-like tone with his Les Paul. He also uses a vintage 1960 cab.
    Your JTM profile is the best so far for getting this sound. The other JTM profiles are somehow in the ballpark but yours nails the sound exactely.
    Thanks a lot for THAT profile!!!

I cannot reproduce the crackles in any version. Do you record thru Spdif?
    Does it crackle when you play guitar?
    Anyone else have crackles?

Yes, I have crackles that sound just like Cubase when it overloads the CPU - you probably know how that sounds ;)

I do have them only just after I switched to another Rig and only for the first couple of seconds and then it works fine. It doesn't happen most of the time so there must be kind of a pattern I haven't figured out yet. I think it is when I'm switching from a clean to a distorted profile but I have yet to verify that. Anyway it seems more of an issue of the loading process and not a general problem with the actual profiles. Will look into it deeper later today when I find the time.

Same over here with a dedicated expression pedal connected to one of the exp-inputs of the Kemper. I guess it's the normal behaviour.

Jet city amp has made something like that.

Sounds interesting, I'll have a look at those.
    I'm mainly recording and producing these days but if I will gig with the Kemper I would like to have the variety of cabs available that is one of the strong points of the Kemper and that rules the direct-profile->power amp->guitar cab solution out. So I would give the FOH my main out and use this FRFR-Marshall cab just for the look and because I am used to have my guitar sound coming out of a big cab behind me. It doesn't have to be absolutely linear - heck even my studio monitors are not fully linear. I just want the look and a fairly flat-response speaker. It wouldn'T get mic'd anyway, the audience would get the main out of the Kemper.

I've just uploaded some profiles of my Marshall Class 5. I've modded that amp according to the schematics by Lyle Caldwell, changed the tone stack and the input impedance and added a choke.
    Although it sounds not too bad after the mods, it will get less use since I now have so many great Marshall profiles available in the Kemper. But maybe it's of some use for somebody.

There already are some 2x12s which aim at being FRFR (you can search on the Fractal and the TGP forums for those) on the market, you might like to give them a try :)

Yeah I know some of those. But unfortunately none of those come in the looks of a Marshall slant cab :( I can see a potential market for Marshall-style FRFR cabs :D

Now what I really would like to have is an active FRFR cab looking like a Marshall 4x12 cab (or even better a 2061cx sized 2x12).
    I already thought about building one myself. I'm thinking of something like an empty 2061cx cab and putting 12" FRFR speakers in it. There is also plenty of room for a power amp to fit in. That can't be too expensive to built. But I have no idea which speakers would be suitable for such an application. Never been into PA-Systems too much.

I'm digging all the MS67xxx patches. I assume this is the '67 Plexi Marshall. May I kindly ask which Plexi it is exactely? Could be a JTM 45/100, an early JMP, Super Lead or Super Bass. I'd really like to know more about the specific amp. With a greenback cab it sounds much like Paul Kossoff.

I'm a bit late for the party since I've got my Kemper yesterday but I thought I mention there is another gem in this profile:
    The cab in this profile is a vintage greenback cab that is the best cab for classic rock I've heard so far. Sounds like pre-Rola G12M25 to me. This is the sound you usually pay large amounts of money for.... ;) Use this cab with any plexy Marshall profile and you'll be amazed.
    The amp itself is great for classic rock as well. Just back off the "definition" a bit (and also gain) and it's early ZZ Top all the way. Tush, La Grange, you name it. I also managed to pull of a nice Paul Kossoff sound with that amp.
    If I could have one wish for the Kemper it would be more profiles by Markus Wienstroer. He's got a Selmer amp that I'd love to have as a profile. And somehow he seems to know how to do really good profiles of vintage amps and gear. Let him do some of his Bassman's as well ;)

In my limited experience - I have my Kemper for only 48hrs now - my pedals react nearly exactely as in front of the real amp. I do run a BSM RM rangemaster clone in front of the Vox or Plexi profiles and the result is just as I expected. It works fantastic with darker british amps and it sucks big hairy balls with a Fender ;) Same with a TS808 or a BOR.
    To answer your question it would be nice to know which amp profile you are actually playing. Some pedals just don't work with any amp. I had an otherwise beautiful '62 Deluxe once that was very picky with pedals. It would sound horrible with a booster or a TS808 and I ended up buying a H&K Tubefactor just for that amp. The Kemper has a profile of that amp and there is also a profile of an Ampeg J20 - which essentially is a brownface Deluxe - and just for the fun of it I tried a TS808 in front of those profiles and it sounded just as terrible as it did with the real amp some years ago ;) I dragged out the H&K and put that in front of the Kemper and it worked just as good as it always did back then.

Hey Rainer, welcome here :)

PS: Wonder how come the KPA attracts so many musicians from South-Western Germany... and from Italy. And I feel caught in the middle, since I feel I belong a little to the two worlds :rolleyes:

Well I'm born in the middle west of Germany, but I live here in the Mainz/Wiesbaden/Frankfurt area for over 20 years. And I love Italy! My wife and me love Venice it's kind of becoming "our" town. We visited Verona last year and a couple of years ago I spent two great weeks in Lucca. I've never been to Rome however, but it's already on our list for one of the next holidays ;)

Welcome and enjoy playing with your KPA!

Just imagine, it's great to play now that the KPA is in its early days, think how many great things are to come next!

The only thing I'm really missing are all the nice amps I could profile now if I hadn't sold them over the years. ;)
    Of course there is the tone-stack which doesn't work exactely like an amp but Kemper already stated they would take care of that with a tone-stack-library later to come. But I can live very well without it because I've found many amps are profiled at a sweet spot not too far away from where I would have set up the original amp. That Siggi Mehl amp for example exactely nails the tone I would have dialed in a british-style amplifier.

Hi,
    after months of lurking around here I've finally took the plunge and bought a black Kemper today. I've been playing for 6 hours straight now and just can't stop, it's THAT good ;)

I live in Wiesbaden (though I'm actually from Siegen) and I've been playing guitar for 30 years. Since I came from a former mining-area in Germany I just love the Kemper logo with the mine head tower, it brings back some memories from my childhood days.
    Amp-wise I've come a long way as probably all of you. My first amp was a '68 Plexi Marshall that belonged to my school. I didn't know anything about vintage-amps back then (hey, I was 14 then) but I loved the sound (though the amp was half-broken...). I eventually had to give the amp back when I left school and I went through a lot of amps. When I stopped giging I started recording and writing and built a home studio. I downsized my amp-collection and went with low-powered combos. Later I went through many modellers and though some of them sounded decent to my ears and some even pretty good, they always lacked the feel and most of the time I needed an amp they DIDN'T modell for whatever reason or a cab that just wasn't available...
    When the recent crop of 5-Watt-amps came out I got into those and thought it would be great to have one of each flavour and got me a Marshall Class 5 (that I modified heavily accordig to the Lyle-Caldwell-chematics) and a Laney Lionheart. Just when I was contemplating which amp to buy for the Fender flavour I heard about the Kemper. And when the User CSGBand profiled his brownface '62 Deluxe (an amp I loved and foolishly sold years ago) I knew I just had to get a Kemper. :love:

And what can I say, this thing is nothing less than sensational! The last time I was so excited about a piece of gear was when I received a sample of the UAD-1 card for a review for a german magazine or when I beta-tested Cubase VST in 1996. I really think the Kemper KPA is on that level, it is really a game changer.
    But I have to confess I'm probably the only guy who doesn't like Tills cabs that much. But I have found the Siggi Mehl profiles from the rig pack 1 feature a beautiful greenback cab that sounds like it's loaded with G12M25s and the Kerosin profiles have a cab with blackbacks that sound like 12H30s to me. So those two cabs are tone nirvana for a vintage-freak like me. I threw those on any Plexi-Marshall profile I find in the KPA or the Rig Exchange and it sounds like a fucking vintage Marshall stack to me ;) Andy44 has some great vintage-sounding Marshall cabs too. There is so much to choose from it's unbelievable.
    I also really like the modFX, there are some real gems there, love the 12-stage phaser or the X-over chorus (looks like somebody at Kemper has a Boss SE 70 ;) ). I don't care much about the distortion stomps since I use the pedals I already have and love. And since the Kemper takes pedals like a real amp I think I'll stick to those for now.

Now back to playing and thanks again CSGBand for profiling the brownface Deluxe and thus urging me to buy a Kemper!

Cheers,
    Rainer

lol

What country you from?

Germany.

We had all those 80s LPs when they were new and back then you could stil play a '59 Burst in a store around the corner and compare those. I did that in '87 played a new '87 LP, a '59 Burst (former owner was Rudolf Schenker...) and a PRS. I bought the PRS and that is the one thing in my live I regret the most ;) I could have an original celebrity owned burst at a price that I could actually swing and what did I do? I went with all that PRS bling instead. I was an idiot.

Nevertheless if you were around in the 80s and played those fiddles side by side to a 50s LP it became blatantly obvious what that vintage craze was all about ;)

I'd love to go for it, but here in Hungary it's quite hard to shop for anything other than Gibson/Fender/Ibanez.

Then do yourself a favour and buy a Custom Shop Historic Les Paul from 2003 - 2011. You should be able to get one used for a good price anywhere in Europe and it beats the shit out of any 80s LP. Frankly: Although the 70s were even worse at Gibson, their 80s LPs are only a small step up from the pancake boat anchors they called a guitar in the 70s.... They still had the body-shape wrong, the pickups were far from PAF spec, the built-quality was generally horrible and the guitars still sounded way too muddy.

In the 70s and 80s the guitars at Gibson were a far cry from real vintage guitars from the 50s or 60s.

Get a 2007 R9 and maybe swap the pickups for Throbaks or some other great PAF repros and you are set. There is only one step up from that and that would be a Replica by Tom Bartlett, Terry Morgan or Gil Yaron. But that would put you on a 3-year waiting list and set you back between 5.000 and 9.000 Euros ;)

Garrincha
    About the speaker: Celestion greenback

Thanks. That would make it a later model than (end of '66). Early Bluesbreaker Combos had Celestion Silver alnicos. Do you know if they are 20 or 25 Watt Greenbacks? Nevertheless a fantastic amp and I like Greenbacks better than the alnicos for a classic rock sound. The alnicos gave it more of a Vox-vibe which is great if you are looking for the Clapton "Beano" sound, but that's about it. I like Greenbacks much better for rock crunch. But that's only me.
    Do you know if it is a JTM 45 chassis or a JMP?

Ballantine, may I ask what year your Bluesbraker is and what speakers are in it? Between 65 and 67 there have been some variations on the chassis and speakers and I'm just curious which model it actually was.

And a profile of Kossoffs SLs with his pimped Cabs would be cool too..... :S

Didn't Kossoff play a Super Bass? I know he played a "black flag" JTM 45/100 in the early days of Free but got most famous for the use of a Super Bass' and matching Cabs (100 Watt 4x12" w/t G12H30 55Hz). But I agree though, a selection of legendary vintage Marshalls would definitely make me buy a Kemper (well I will buy it eventually anyway). There are many fine boutique amps already profiled but some legendary items are missing that I would like to see:

In no particular order:

- JTM 45 Bluesbreaker 2x12" Combo. Sure we have the amp but we don't have the cab with the Alnico Celestions and the very distinctive sound

- Marshall JTM 45/100 "black flag" (early Kossoff, Hendrix, The Who)

- Marshall Super Lead/ Super Bass '67, 10.000 serial number range (Cream and later Kossoff)

- The same as above but from the later '68, 12.000 range (van Halen brownsound, those had crunchier gain, more aggressive)

- Selmer Treble and Bass 50 (this was a secret weapon studio amp and is heard on more records than we know. Also allegedly used by Kossoff for the "Allright now" solo)

- Supro Thunderbolt (made famous by Jimmy Page "Stairway to heaven" but was used a lot by Hendrix as well)

- Supro Coronado modded with 12" speaker - this is an alternative opinion on what is supposed to be the "Stairway to heaven" amp. The LZ-Police doesn't seem to be sure about that one ;)

- Magnatone Tonemaster (made famous by an internet hype on youtube :D - seriously: Phil X gets great sounds out of it and that guy knows what he's doing) also the amp of Buddy Holly

- Boogie MK IIb/c clean and crunch This is the sound of Keith Richards in the 70s and 80s and also Bruce Springsteens main amp on stage. (I find it odd to have the MK IV as a stock profile since IMHO it is Boogies least desirable piece of all amps). Also the 80s Dire Straits amp

- brownface Vibrolux (early Dire Straits)

- tweed Deluxe (early ZZ Top and modern Clapton)

- tweed Twin

- Dumble Overdrive Special - I personally never cared about that sound, but many people consider it the holy grail, so there must be something to them.

- Trainwreck Express and Liverpool - I personally never cared about their sound either, but as much a holy grail as the Dumble

- Hiwatt DR-103 (later The Who and David Gilmour, also Gabriel-era Genesis) Those are very clean and bright amps that are great for using pedals - just like Gilmour did throughout his career

I would also like to see the Marshalls profiled with a proper vintage 1960 cab with pre-Rola G12M25 and/or G12H30 and with ribbon mics if possible. Vintage 30s miked with SM57s are not bad at all but now since everybody and his neighbour are getting back to Greenbacks (thanks to the Scumback hype) having that sound in the KPA wouldn't hurt.

Anyway, I'm sure before I even get my KPA there will be user profiles of all those amps already which is the greatest thing about the Kemper.