Posts by hoth

I also feel that comments like ' 'It doesn't need to be any better' are counterproductive - I'm glad my parents and friends didn't tell me 'you don't need to be any better' after I learned my first three guitar chords! 8o IMHO 'Good' is never good enough, regardless of your line of work...

I for one expect it to get better and for kemper to introduce updates/fixes in a timely manner. No fanboy here. I agree that if the KPA is marketed with certain features that those features should be the best they can possibly be. I guess I just am not generally a guy who runs pedals into distorted amps so the pedals haven't been an issue for me. But I have consistently said the pedals must be improved (along with a number of other items). I am willing to wait for these improvements but totally understand those who cannot.

I just performed some tests . I never tried the OD/DIST so far so.. When used on a clean amp there's no doubt that some Digital noise is present.It is ugly and have nothing to do with intermodulation or anything . I get it with a single note bend.This is NOT natural behavior of an OD/DIST pedal for sure .There a real superposition of "something "...
    I do not hear it with all rigs without pedals I normally use anyway ..whatever the gain..it is not present with compressor used either .
    IMHO something must be done for the OD/Dist stomp section

thx

BRUNO

Yep, this is what I have been saying all along now. The stomps are just not there yet. The good thing is that I find the stomps pretty unnecessary for what I play anyway. In real life where you have one amp and want to be able to push it or get a different flavor of distortion then I understand the need for OD/Dist stomps. But when you can just choose an amp that can do OD or distortion so much better than a stomp, why not just switch profiles?

Yeah, unfortunately I do not think the Kemper's distortion pedals can equal the Lovepedal and you can hear it in clips. I hope that they do some more work on the pedals.

I do a lot of double bends (a la Gilmour) and honestly I do not hear anything different from different the same with amps or other distortion pedals. Some types of distortion pedals emphasize this type of intermodulation more than others but I am not hearing any of the "digital hash" that I used to get from say my Line6 modelers.

I believe what you are hearing is something I mentioned a while back - many of the stomp distortions have a rather prevalent digital aliasing problem: the higher the gain, the bigger the problem. Not sure why this must be, because the Amp distortion has none of this... It can also be heard when bending a single high note with a higher drive setting.
    Digital aliasing creates sounds and pitches that are not a part of the normal (analog) distortion process.

Oh, maybe that's why I wasn't hearing it since I wasn't using stomps but only amps. Not a big fan of the stomps/FX myself so I am happy to just avoid them.

Yeah, I'm hearing what Per is, i.e., the "beating" you get when you bend two strings an asynchronous amount. Just like when you are tuning a string against a reference pitch. Some distortion pedals make it more pronounced than others but I have never thought the ones that make it pronounced were "wrong".

If at all possible (and if my memory is correct CK did not say that it was not possible) this is a "must have" for me.

But think about it, if all you know is the signal going into the amp and the signal coming out the cab, how can you possibly tell what contribution in the changes in distortion and eq came from just the cab and what came from the amp. Perhaps you can make some guesses or approximations based upon what you know of what a typical speaker and cab may do to a signal, but that would not seem to be exact enough for most of us. To be able to be exact sounds like magic.

I would love for this functionality as one of the reasons why I returned my first KPA was because I was going through poweramp+cab and turning off the cab did not have the desired result. I would like to have the choice of using a cab sometimes. However, I agree with viabcroce as to why this functionality will not happen.

I do like Christopher Cross so :thumbup:

I have had lots and lots of modelers (and amps and other "real" equipment). I have to say that I have more fun with the KPA then I've had in years. It's crazy but it's true.

Just uploaded a profile of a Soldano preset that I had in Guitar Rig 5 that I tweaked to sound like Alice in Chains from the Dirt album. I put it through Tills 06 cab. You'll need to add effects to the base sound. tell me if it works for you.

Edit: I just want to add that this profile to me just feels and sounds great. It is 99% of the original. I know these are profiles of modelers, but if you can take the best of each modeler that is tweaked to how we like, we can still create a tremendous palette of sounds for us.

That was really enjoyable to llisten to. It was like a modern day symphony. You really are talented as far as meshing different sounds together to put forward a beautiful overarching idea. Keep it up and keep sharing!

this is not a real amp, is it? VST-plugin?

That's right. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. It is the LePou plugin version of the ENGL E645 put through the Two Notes WoS plugin for cab, poweramp and mic modeling. I thought the sound was so good that I was psyched to get it into the KPA to be able to use it like I would a real amp. A lot of people have been asking for a pedal that can run VSTs but with the KPA's profiling ability I would say we basically have that.

I would say in my A/B tests of the profile versus the output from my computer the profile was 98% there. I was pretty amazed.