Posts by benvdd

btw, i'm all in for that looper !!! on "my" compact floorboard, just hold tap for like 1 sec, and instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 you have rec, play, undo, redo, stop... 8o

Why would they integrate a simple looper in the KPA when the people who use loopers (myself included) want something more advanced anyway and the people who use it at home can just as well load a piece of looper software on their pc...would seem like a waste of time and money to me.

Stupid question: where is the issue in mounting the exp. pedals on a pedalboard together with the FC? Exp pedals tend to wear off and break, lot better not to have to change the all FC. Then somebody wants larger pedals like the Dunlop ones, sombody elses wants switch activated ones, somebody wants springloaded ones, sombody is happy with cheap ones...... Lot better, IMHO, to leave the choice to the users....

+1

thank you sir i will try after my gig tonight - i may need some hand holding on programming CC#- never done that :S

I'm doing this by heart so it might not be a 100% correct:

Press edit > menu > scroll to "switches" and select (enter).
    Using the parameter buttons on the top row you can select a particular switch (they're incrementally numbered, starting from the top left and going to bottom right, there's a schematic in the manual), turn the "type" scroll all the way left or right (forgot which way it, just try it) and you will see "MIDI CC" coming up. With the next scroll button you can select which MIDI cc message you want the button to send.

Robman: I'm not using the effects of the G-system right now, just the floorboard as a controller until the one from Kemper comes out. The effects in the KPA are all I need at the moment. But why would you want to use the compressor from the gsys? I don't think you'll be able to re-use your existing g-system patches on a KPA profile, without tweaking all the levels...
    And secondly, if you hook up your Gsys in the loop of the KPA or even in 4 cable method, chances are big you'll create a ground loop and you'll have to add some form of hum eliminator to get red of it.
    I switched to the KPA to simplify my live, so no more 4CM for me :)

Nitpicking mode on/

I'm using a variax cable for my G-system, it's a standard RJ45 network cable but rugged and with Neutrik connectors so "road worthy".
    Probably not possible since there's a standard RJ45 connector on the KPA backpanel but it would be nice if I could use the same cable to connect the new foot controller when it comes out, at least on the FC side (it's of course completely compatible with "normal" network plugs).

It's really simple, just treat it as a "simple" MIDI board.
    Connect MIDI out G-system to MIDI in KPA, put them on the same channel, reprogram the switches you want to use on the Gsys to the proper MIDI cc messages (the list is in the reference manual and on this forum).

One thing that doesn't work is exp pedals (Gsys can't send MIDI cc for the pedals). You'll have to connect them to the KPA directly with longer cables. That's what I do now as a temp solution until the dedicated KPA controllers comes out.

If you need help with how to change MIDI cc's for the GS switches, let me know...

I'm far from an expert so correct me if I'm wrong but...
    2-way communication over an RJ45 connection, which is what the FC will use, is perfectly possible. In other words, all expression pedals hooked up to the FC will connect via an analog (stereo) jack cable, and the position will be translated into MIDI cc, hence the need for calibration.

Ok, first of all, I realize this is a VERY noobish question and that I should probably bring this up on the MOTO forum but since I grew so fond of y'all I'll try here first :).

Anyone that's still reading here's the issue :D :

I connected the SPDIF in/outs from the KPA to the MOTU interface (896mk3) with an RCA cable (I know, this isn't optimal, but it should work right?)

I set the MOTU driver to 44.1 kHz and to accept the clock from the KPA (master) as slave. Sync showed up on the MOTU just fine.

Opened up a Cubase session, with audio routed from SPDIF in to main outs...no sound ;(

I guess the issue is probably specific to the interface so I'll keep on looking for a solution there but I just wanted to hear from you guys if I might have missed something obvious (never used SPDIF before...).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Tip from a fellow beginner (complementary to what the guru's above me had to say of course :) ).

Connect the KPA monitor out to a poweramp/guitar cab and dial in your tone on that setup (make sure monitor cab is switched off!). Then go back to KPA > audio interface and load that same profile. Only tweak the preamp EQ if needed and see what it sounds like now.
    Worked for me (and I had the same reaction as you when I first connected it to my audio interface).

Oh and almost forgot, kind of important for me, probably not for most people: it would be super if the FC can control multiple MIDI devices (at least 1 in addition to the KPA itself).
    I'm using a G-system now to control both the KPA and my trusted Gibson Echoplex. It would be great if I can continue to operate both devices with one controller...