Posts by VESmedic

WARNING: COMPLETE MIDI NOOB HERE!, I REPEAT, COMPLETE MIDIOT!

Okay, long story short, just got my GCP, and I have never in my life used a MIDI rig before, or programmed MIDI. I did the factory reset on the GCP ( it was used), and would like to use to the 10 patch per bank method. Basically, I want the first row all my clean sounds, 2nd, all my rhythms, and 3rd, all my leads. For me, this will be easier I believe.

I have it set on the 10 patch setting ( I DID read the manual :D) And want to start programming now. So basically, i am in bank "00", and on patch 01, for instance, I want to program one of my favorite cleans, the Rivera M-100 model. So I scroll over to it, and now I have to assign it a program change number. I assign it number one, then go to global settings, and select channel 1. Is this correct? Well, when I step on 01, nothing happens, and on top of that, The rig BEFORE the rivera m100 is selected as MIDI program 01, WHAT THE HELL? I read something about how I have to change something to -1 or something like that? i have no idea what I am doing here! :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

If someone could give me a general walk through, of what I do up to this point, that would be EXTREMELY helpful. I will be starting with the first bank, bank "00", 12 sounds should be just fine for me right now. Please and thank you!

Chris

Update, it is not audible when using headphones, and the biggest thing is, it completely goes away when I use a different cab than what the profile came loaded with. Also, for fun, check out Juana's 9th engl se profile, and load the black album ozone EQ matching as the cab, CRUSHING!!!!

I just downloaded juanamans new engl se profiles and I hear something strange in all of them. Now, I have not cranked these profiles up yet, but at low low volumes, I hear this high end metallic rattle in the high end. Almost sounds like if you have ever accidentally turned on your tube amp on high gain an cranked it up loud without a cabinet connected ( I know, bad bad). This is through my VHT ultralead and 4x12 cabinet. Dialing back some presence seems to help the problem, but only masks it, sounds very unnatural, anyone ever experienced this? This only happens with very few profiles, and none I can think of off the top of my head actually. Maybe it goes away at more than low volumes? Should I delete and redownload? Help!

I pretty much crank up every profiles cab volume to taste, usually aruond 3.8 to 4.0 decibles.. This seems to bring out some liveliness to the profile, it could be my ears playing tricks on me though. However then you have to adjust the other volume knob to compensate and avoid clipping. try it, you might like it, especially with FRFR. Other than that, I have "pure booster" locked in box X I believe, that way any patch I decide needs a volume boost for leads etc, I have it right there, and available via IA on my MIDI pedal.

wow xyphron those are killer!!! I can't decide which ones I like the best, somewhere between numbers 6 and 10 I *think* are my favorite so far, only used them with headphones though. Can you give specs on what you did for each profile by any chance? I am sure 22 of them is hard to remember, but any help is appreciated!

well, I am 6'3, 255 lbs, and a fireman, I think I'll be alright moving them :D But yes, they ARE heavy, I couldn't care less though, that kind of thing has never bothered me. Before my KPA rig, I was using a 2 head, 6 space rack that weighed probably 250 lbs atleast, and 2 4x12s! Needless to say, I am used to the weight. I bought 2 mostly because they sold me on the stereo, the effects sounded fabulous. However, I have never used stereo effects before, so that is probably some of it right there, I am quite the newb in that area :D I will probably only use 1 more than likely live, 2 will probably take up more room than I would like/the band would like, so one should suffice.

Just ordered 2 brand new mackie HD1531's. They sounded absolutely mindblowing in stereo, just breathtaking for everything! Pretty stoked. I have heard about the reliability issues with them, however I have heard this has been corrected, and I got a free extended warranty just in case. All in all, I'm pretty stoked, and think FRFR is definitely the way to go with the KPA.

After playing 2 Mackie HD 1521's in stereo today at my local music store, I am totally convinced 100 percent that FRFR is the way to go. It was absolutely fantastic, incredible to say the least. However, of course i had to use the 2 XLR outs of the KPA for this to work. My question is, if I want to run 2 mackie HD PA's as my live monitor rig, and use the other 2 main outputs to go to the FOH, is this possible? Is it possible to use all 4 ouputs at once? Sorry for the newb question, I just wanted to make sure.

Also, volume knob questions: Is the "master volume" knob the same as the Main output volume under the output menu? The reason why I ask is, when I was under the output menu messing with my main output EQ settings, I turned the "master volume" knob, and the main ouput volume LED lit up and was turning while turning the master volume knob, thought this was strange. Thanks guys.

I also, would like an opinion on the mackie HD stuff, looking at the hd1221 and 1531 as well. However, for what it is worth ( and it probably isn't much :D) I just played my KPA through a QSC k12, and 15 the other day at guitar center. This was also my first time trying FRFR ever actually. I was VERY impressed. They sounded phenominal in my opinion, and would not miss my 4x12s pumping behind me with these things up front. I am definitely going FRFR after that experience. The K12s have deep switches, and voice switches on the back that bump the highs/high mids a bit, and it sounded PHENOMINAL. It really brought the KPA alive with these switches. While they might not be a "flat" response at that point, for playing a band practice or something with them, it would be fantastic. And then to adjust your tones for what the FOH is hearing, you would just simply turn them off and EQ your tones then for live use.

I am also looking at the mackie HD's, however I have heard about serious relability issues with them, you should do alittle research before taking the plunge on them, I'm glad I did. While I believe they will probably sound phenominal, those issues I have been hearing about scare me to the point that it would be hard for me to drop the cash on them. Just My opinion. Alot of people use the QSC stuff, and I doubt you could go wrong honestly. I have not tried the RCF NX12SMA that everyone is raving about (in fact I just made a post about it ) but it would be hard for me to drop that kind of cash on it, after hearing what the k12s are possible of, and the fact that I would probably never be able to play one.

That is true, however I am not prepared to drop that kind of cash on RCf stuff yet, especially since I will never be able to play one, and see if I can justify the difference. Why do some of you like FRFR? I think I will like it because A: I will be able to dial in my real guitar tone going to the PA, a big plus and B: I think I will enjoy not having such a beamy guitar sound that you get wih 4x12s, I really do.

digitaltube, it has crossed my mind, but I honestly know nothing about it. The problem with clubs we sometimes play in is, well, you don't always have a "great" PA, or maybe we do, and I am just not aware of it. I know the clubs (atleast in town, who knows when we play out of town) that have good sound, and the others that don't, but I guess it doesn't matter, because the sound guy is controlling your sound no matter what you feed him (traditional guitar rig, KPA rig etc) right??? So I guess it is an option. however, as a metal guitar player, I still think I need that big sound on stage, and I definitely need something at practice with. I guess I could sell one of my cabs to fund a small FRFR system to see how I like it vs my guitar rig, who knows. I plan to go to my local guitar center monday or tuesday and check out some stuff in the pro audio section, I have never done that, and that will probably be the best option.

THANK YOU musicman! I'd really love as much input on the mackie stuff as possible, as I can not find any first hand reviews on the 1531 wtih the KPA, so this is nice to here, and anything else you have to say. That is kinda of crappy to hear about the reliability issues though...have you compared teh mackie stuff to anything else FRFR wise? See any reason to go with something else vs the mackie? Any way to make these fart out on palm mutes with low tuned guitars/7 strings?

Thanks guitarnet. After some research, I am also looking at the EV ELX series, which seems to be a great sounding speaker, and gives the the RCF a run for its money, at a much cheaper price. I found a great price on a few of them ( in the 200 to 250 range used), and was wondering, when going FRFR, does it matter what size speaker you use with these? For example, I found the EV ELX 215 (2 15s! :D :D :D) for a great price, around 400 bucks, sounds like you can't beat these for the price. is that too much for any reason? Again, I do want a huge sound, and don't really care about the size of the unit . they also make as we know the 112, and 115, 118 etc. Just haven't found a clear answer on this. Thanks!

Chris