Posts by endlessnameless

I must say, I also have concerns about the engineering of the foot controller based on the kemper. I can look past the engineering issues with the kemper to an extent due to the amazing sound, however, with a foot controller the engineering is what you are paying for, not the sound. I agree The kemper has plastic knobs that feel cheap for a unit of this price, some where you can see where the moulded knobs have been snapped off a larger piece of plastic. THey do not seem sturdy and there is excess play. The LED light hoods also suffer from inconsistent finishing with bits of excess plastic or imperfections on some where presumably the moulding process has not come out quite right. Some of the push switches are also looser than others. I returned one unit and got another which was a littler better. The main switch dial also feels quite weak. Like i say, I can forgive these to an extent but the foot controller will have to be flawless considering the price.

Welcome - Kemper is in a different league to POD HD - you will be very happy with it - you will only be limited by your playing rather than the plastic sound of Line 6 or similar. Kemper is better than any VST I have tried. You can buy a Kemper with a power amp inside but that is not a default - that is an option.

Yes I really do think that you have hit the nail on the head - creative constipation!!

I really do think back to my prolific song writing days when I had nothing but a cheap amp and a few pedals. I really just got on with it.

The fact is the Kemper and similar gear is great - and can actually make you more productive if you limit yourself . However, it suffers from a multitude of choice - which for musicians who want to be productive - is a bad thing.

Then there is a layer on top of that which I think you touched on. That is regretting the gear choices you made and wanting to buy something else that appears to be better.

I find grass is greener syndrome with audio gear is prolific. People who say 'well I sold my DD20 delay pedal for a memory man, then I sold the memory man and bought a DD20 again, then I sold it for a strymon, but then I sold the strymon and got the eventide and ended up selling them both and getting the DD20 again'.

I find myself on ebay and youtube and forums looking at endless delay or reverb pedal demos even though I have a t rex replica and an RV5 and DD20. All brilliant pedals. But now I am like - hmmm, Strymon Timeline!! But think of the presets and options on that thing!

Most of us can only afford to buy one or two amazing tube amps. Now the Kemper has thousands inside it. It is like opening Pandora's box. This is not a dig at the Kemper. But a serious question that musicians should be asking themselves.

I really think this is an interesting topic. I certainly think that Kemper minimalism is something which I will be trying my best to practice. Someone mentioned having 18 profiles they use. Personally that is way too much for me. I think 5 guitar amps and one Bass amp will be my setup. And I will try and stick to it.

So, something to bring in the new year for you - I read a lot of threads about people wanting to 'give up' the Kemper and being overwhelmed by choice. This sort of thing is not exclusive to Kemper. It is something which is the paradox of choice we have with modern gear. Too many options.

I don't know about you all but I find these things about myself:

- I like some choice but I find too many options spoil my workflow
    - I am a visual person and find abstract patches and saved data to muddle my mind

I realised that I was most productive when I had very little money to spend on gear and I would make the best use of the tools I had. I wrote lots of songs during this time. Using a cheap amp and a couple of pedals. My band got a record deal with those songs. Many years later I got more and more gear and then I had lots of options and patching and re patching stompboxes became the creativity killer. So I wanted something with convenience.

Before I got the Kemper I always wanted the sound of my gear with the added convenience of no patch cables and easy switching between sounds. Line 6 never gave me that, Digitech never gave me that, Eleven rack didn't give me that. You see I could go on. It was always about the sound.

With the Kemper I have the sound and convenience now. But I also have the other thing which comes with rack or multi effects units - options. Oh dear. The options.I hear many people complain that there are too many options.

So convenience and options can kind of cancel themselves out productivity wise.

But....with that in mind I have chosen to limit myself to a handful of actual amps rather than flick through thousands of profiles. I thought I would look at this as an actual amp collection.

Since I have had the Kemper I have started writing several songs in a short space of time because of the convenience and sound quality combined. But I have also done so because I have chosen to limit myself within the Kemper.

So I thought. I would like particular amps in my collection to write songs with. But no more than about 5 guitar amps. And one bass amp. If I had a physical collection of amps I would never have over this many anyway. So why should I have more? Because I can? Is that a good reason?

Really it is great that there are potentially thousands of profiles - but that is only so you can get your collection of amps. Not a reason to flick through and try more and try more and try more etc. Think about it - if you went and bought an amp from a store you wouldn't go and return it and get another one a few days later when you got 'bored' with it. The paradox of choice stifles your creativity. At least it does mine.

So I went and I found the best profile of each of those amps for my small self enforced 'collection' and saved those to my favourites. When I say the 'best' did I try hundreds of each amp? No - I tested a handful then picked a keeper. Then I created a locked stompbox chain. In reality I would not change my stompboxes every time I plug in to a new amp. So why would I do this on the Kemper?

Now bear in mind. I am not talking about covers bands here. I can understand you would need totally different chains for different styles and songs. I am talking about all you songwriters and original bands out there. Sticking to your rig - your sound.By all means you can use the Kemper to go on a history lesson and a fun covers session now and again - but when you want to write songs you don't need that distraction of so many amps.

So I got my handful of amps and my locked stomp box chain. So I also thought that I am a visual person - how do I deal with that - I want to be able to see those amps and stomps so I can at a glance know what my options are. So I created this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_La-Dzy2mQAZlJnSjRBY2wwM28/view?usp=sharing

It may seem silly to some but I like to see what I have at my disposal. I am a visual person - a preset name or lights do not do it for me - I want an at a glance guide. As if I had a room of gear ready to use. I may update the picture with preset numbers for the pre amps.

Now I don't feel as overwhelmed by the number of profiles etc. You may think this is silly but I am a strong believer in making the best use of the tools you have and not going too far down a rabbit hole of tweaking and options.

This is not to say I will not try other amps in future, or not switch stomps in and out now and again - but I will try and keep to my core 'collection' in the main - at least for now while I attempt to get this EP finished!!

So if any of you are struggling with your writing and recording - try and look at the Kemper a bit differently. Try and limit yourself. It certainly helps me and I hope it will help you.

Now if I can keep the guitar GAS in check I will really be making progress.... :)

I hope this shared experience has been useful for at least one of you. Once the KFC comes out my setup will be complete!

Thanks guys the monitors are on my desk - I and are ESI EAR 05s - I have had them years. I think it could be the room as we moved recently and the room is quite reflective - wooden floor and no carpet and the desk is quite reflective. I actually had to get one of those foam shields for the vocal mic due to reflections. So perhaps that is making the bass go boomy.

Headphones I do not notice it so much. Someone mentioned foam pads for the speakers to de-couple them - any recommendations? Also other ways I can treat the room to make it less reflective in an affordable way? I hang a blanket behind the singer to reduce reflections.

I never understand the naming process with a lot of products, not just audio but most brands never make it very clear and use confusing combinations of letters and numbers that are similar to each other.

Hi all, been using one of the TAF factory profiles for bass - its an SVT450 with a bit of direct blended in.

I find when recording bass it gets pretty boomy on some notes - any suggestions for pre or post processing ideas to deal with this? I use compression VST to even out the tone.

A great unit which I have used in an acoustic duo is the Harmony G XT - it is very compact, reasonably priced and features reverb, compression and harmony fx (which go along with the key of the guitar input). I would recommend it. The handheld mic comes to life with it.