Posts by endlessnameless

Firstly, I think it is important to point out that my original post was a slightly tongue in cheek fists in the air thing about the sense in putting a serial number on the base of a rack (when it is quite easy to put it on the rear). Along with the original annoyance of having my registrations removed without anyone checking with me first. I still stand by that these are both annoyances. Not world ending. But my post was a bit 'man shouts at the sky' anyway.

Secondly, you make very good points about keeping records. But I am not talking about insurance claims. And with respect you don't need a serial number for that. An insurer should accept a store receipt for an item or at the very least a photo. I take photos of all my gear and I also keep original receipts.

My point, as originally stated, was purely a shout at the sky for a minor annoyance - this is not to say I don't advocate record keeping or reading or manuals or a million other sins which I am sure I have committed ;)

I take your point but I did have a read of the manual but it wasn't something that caught my eye to be honest. I was focused on the main functions of the unit.

But a sticker on the back of the unit is always useful especially as when someone wants support usually they need the serial number. After all not everyone registers their unit in advance. And if your Kemper is dead you are not going to be able to go in that menu are you? ;)

Hi all,

Been using an ampeg SVT bass profile from TAF and it has a 'direct parameter' in the amplifier settings which allows me to blend in the direct signal with the bass amp.

However, there is also the parallel signal option in the rig menu which seems to do the same thing. Only prob with this option is that if I want to blend in a small amount of direct signal the whole volume of the rig drops so I have been using 'direct' in the amplifeier parameters.

Is there something I am missing here? They appear to do the same thing.

Thanks
    Mark

Sorry I have to let off some steam here. I exchanged my original unit some time ago. So I registered my new unit afterwards. I get an email today to say that the new owner of my original (faulty) unit has requested that the serial is transferred into their name. Fair enough, but instead of clarifying anything with me Kemper deleted my registration details from my account completely so I have no registered products at all.

So I have had to re-register my current unit just now. Which makes me realise why I hate it when manufacturers put serial numbers on the bottom of their rack products! Put the serial number on the rear so I can get to it easily!

Apologies again I am just venting!! :S

I completely agree - I actually think that re-amping is destructive to my creative process and probably many others. I think the benefit of re-amping is when you perhaps don't have your favoured amp sound to hand (if you are recording away from your own environment) and can add it later. But as a means to decide tones I think it leads to procrastination.

The Kemper has allowed me to get those authentic tones without feeling like I want to tweak later.

Hello all,

I have had a few posts but thought I would say 'hello' officially. My name is Mark and I am 34.

Started out as a lurker then took the plunge and bought a Kemper. I used to be in a signed band years ago and now I mainly record from home. The Kemper is a great studio tool for me.

My fave music is post punk, shoegaze and indie. So I love Nirvana, Sonic Youth, The Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Echo and The Bunnymen and Interpol. I grew up in the 90s so love 90s rock - Pearl Jam etc. Cannot be beaten really.

Historically I started off with Amp modelling with a POD 2.0 which was fine but since then I have always been chasing the amp tone that I can record in my bedroom. I actually had a huger Fender Deluxe Reverb in my parents garage which I built a sound dampening enclosure for. However, it was still waaaay too loud and heavy - but it sounded amazing. I ended up moving on to Digitech amp modelling, then trying out VSTs and settled on sansamp which has been pretty good.

Kemper is another level and in my eyes it has been worth the money so far. It is also a great way of tidying up my music area. I have a lot of stomp boxes, which I love but the various power supplies etc was making it difficult to manage and very noisy.

I recently posted here about how the Kemper has benefited my recordings - I hope someone will chime in at some stage!! :)

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…ed-my-mixes-your-stories/?

From what I have seen so far this is a very friendly and helpful forum - so I would like to thank everyone for helping me in my Kemper journey so far.

Mark

Hello all,

I have recorded a lot of songs at home and previously used Sansamp technology. The songs in many respects sounded fine. However, there was an element of my mixes that just was not quite right. I wasn't necessarily thinking it was the guitars that were responsible but I would be tweaking the solos especially to give them clarity and impact.

When I purchased a Kemper one of my main considerations was the convenience of having everything in one box rather than endless stompboxes and sansamps in a spaghetti junction. I expected the sound of my guitar tracks to improve, but I was not sure how they would affect the mix as a whole.

Now we all know that mixes depend on various elements, drums, bass, vocals, eq etc. However, I have noticed that replacing my guitar tracks with Kemper tracks has breathed a life into the mixes and added some of that 'gel' that I thought was perhaps down to my mixing ability.

There is some of that 'weight' and presence there that feels like an amp in a room which adds that excitement and brings them closer to the sort of sound I would expect from a studio recording. This is not to say that I am not going to keep some of the sansamp tracks. They are serviceable - but for solos and adding extra magical layers to the recording the Kemper has been great so far.

I was wondering your stories. Because sometimes I think we can underestimate how amp sounds affect the mix as a whole. Have others noticed a big improvement even when they thought their prior tracks were pretty good?

It is worth bearing in mind that (at least in Europe )items are expected to be of 'satisfactory quality' in all the circumstances. So a three year guarantee is not necessarily a restriction on your consumer rights.

If you buy a piece of pro audio equipment in the £1k+ range you could argue that the LEDs should be expected to last longer than 3 years with normal usage. If after 3 years the LEDs start going on your Korg Pandora sub £80 fx unit you could argue that is not necessarily unreasonable.

I have the same issue with my new Kemper - lights bleeding into the gain rotary LEDs - perhaps rather than raise lots of support queries Kemper could confirm if this is normal?

The other thing I noticed is that the little plastic light covers (small circular ones whish indicate if stomps or fx are active) are not perfectly finished - it may be me being picky but the plastic looks like it hasn't been cut perfectly. Pictures will explain this better. I will take some.

If there is a workaround for performance then this is at least a start.

So for example - rather than switch stomps on and off within a rig set up different rigs with different stomps turned on/off and switch between them in performance mode?

So for example - all of them are Fender Lux but
    1- has mouse on
    2 - has muffin on
    3 - has combination of mouse and pitch on

etc

Problem with this is having enough performance slots for all the possible rig combos of fx. I would rather perform with one rig active turning stomps on and off individually.

Does anyone have a midi footcontroller that they can test to see if the same noises occur when switching stomps on and off with it?

This noise issue is not a massive problem for studio users (I am one), but I would like to use the unit live if I can, and I am surprised that no one has been complaining about this - perhaps most Kemper users are studio based.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the unit - just concerned about these sorts of bugs still not being ironed out. This product is really expensive after all. Hope to hear some news from Kemper that it is possible to fix this.

This is a big problem that I discovered on my first day of owning one - how has it gone pretty much unnoticed for so long?

I hope it is actually fixable as I am thinking of returning my unit. I would rather not but my concern is that it is not possible to fix due to limitations in processor/memory. It could be that there is too much computing required to change the active stomps quickly without garbles.

Fegil - just to add to your post I note that it happens without the pitch when you look at stomp behaviour rather than rig changes - appears that any two distortion stomps will do it.