Posts by endlessnameless

I am programming my delay tones pretty much by trial and error because being used to traditional delay pedals with hi>lo tone controls for digi>analog sounds I can't seem to wrap my head around Bandwidth and 1.1; C. Frequency - one seems to affect the other which means getting a certain sound isn't very predictable - or at least it seems that way. Any tips?

I thought of this - but the problem with the plan is when the FX8 is actually coming out and the price - which could be whopping - not sure there would be enough added value to justify one - Kemper can do most fx well - it lacks more inventive delays and reverbs but a couple of extra stomps can remedy that.

The guy who was talking about analogue tape etc had a point maybe?

SPDIF is probably a perfect reproduction, but maybe using analogue outs and hitting the pre actually rounds off the edges of the sound in a sonically pleasing way.

For example - certain buffers on fx pedals. Can be seen as not that great as not true bypass, but put one in the chain and it can tame the highs of a sterile sounding guitar chain.

Great advice - like your band btw - sounds like the Boo Radleys

Correct me if I am wrong - but does SPDIF not bypass the 'character' of your preamps on your audio interface? So if you are paying for the character of say the Focusrite pres or the TC Impact pres - does SPDIF not bypass this?

Oh btw, the change of audio interface, does that change anything in the workload towards the cpu or am I completely wrong here?
    'cause that's together with the SSD the first thing that will be changed, and I would be glad to know if I am going the right route with the SPL crimson.

Not sure about the interface affecting the CPU too much - I think it does to an extent but probably negligible. If the drivers are unstable then this could cause glitching for sure. I don't know anything about the SPL but I use TC Electronic interfaces which are good. .

I am slightly concerned about SSD because of the stories about limited amount of 'writes'. I would ensure none of your song date goes on this just in case (although to be fair all HDs can fail which is why backup is a good suggestion).

If you want a list of priorities - the first in my opinion would be an external firewire drive that runs at 7200rpm (a lacie or something). Bung all your drum samples on there and see how it works. I had exactly the same problem you were having because BFD samples were choking up the HD -stuttering like mad. No way should an I7 with 8gb RAM be struggling with your track count.

Backing up your data is a great suggestion. However, rather than just another drive you may want to look at online storage. I used CrashPlan and find it gives me peace of mind

This would be an amazing feature but I am not sure it will happen. Can you imagine being able to profile your favourite vintage big muff or RAT pedal? Or your boutique overdrive collection?

I know you can profile amps with stomps but this is not as practical as you can't match the stomps to your fave amp profiles currently unless you own the original amps.

Thanks Paul - so to be clear - something like the MIDI Moose I could use in performance mode to switch between 5 different 'rigs' but to actually switch stomps I could save 5 variations of the same rig as different rigs but with different FX on and off?

When profiling ensure you hit chords strongly for around 30 seconds so the profiler gets an idea of the dynamic range of the amp.

after profiling play with power sagging for more dynamics and warmth and less 'stiff' feel. Reduced definition for more vintage feel and increase for more modern feel.

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…stomps-new-kemper-rack-o/?

This issue has not been rectified and is acknowledged as an issue by Kemper. There may be others.

I accept that you buy a unit with the present features but we all know that in this competitive world that some extra features are expected to be added during the products lifecycle. For example - apple upgrade their operating system and add extra features. Considering this is a premium fx and amp unit there are some extra features you expect to add to that - i.e improved fx, smooth switching between fx and routing possibilities. I do not expect a looper personally.

How far does a company have to go providing additional features before they charge for those? When hardware units never had the capacity to get upgrades people did not expect additional features. However, now that we can upgrade firmware people expect those extra features. And to be fair I think that the pricing of units now anticipates those extra features to some extent - so people have a right to expect some extra features after purchase - therefore those upgrades are not 'free' - they are built into the price to some extent.

However, I do think a line has to be drawn somewhere. It really is the question where?? Not an easy answer.

Personally for the price of the unit I know there are bugs that need dealing with and I would prefer they were dealt with as a priority. Secondly considering the purpose of the unit I would like some additional FX than what we have (e.g. more varied reverbs and delays ala axe fx) and flexibility in the routing of those fx (putting the fx loop in the delay or reverb slot for example). Even a fully featured PC editor ala axe edit.

I am not sure I would be lobbying for a looper as a non paid for entitlement - it is just not that important to me or the core of what this unit is about - fundamentally the unit should be about killer amps/fx and routing flexibility. A looper is not something I expected as an upgrade in the future but I did expect more fx and routing options to be added as the unit became more mature. Therefore I think that this argument over the entitlement to a looper upgrade (as opposed to paying for it via a remote purchase) is not where energy should be focused at present. Ultimately I am more concerned about the unit being an amp and fx powerhouse with ironed out bugs than being able to record a 30 second loop (and that is not aimed at upsetting you avid loopers out there - I mean this as a focus on where we can draw the line considering our expectations when we originally purchased the unit).