Posts by Gizmo

Yeah, it sure adds up quickly doesn't it.
    Thanks for the idea about the Zoom, but I'm still a bit of a tube amp snob and until the KPA, never used anything other than tube combos.
    I started using the KPA live because I got tired of hauling two (or sometimes 3 ) amps to a gig.
    I'm still taking 1 just in case the KPA decides to quit on me but now the Super Reverb stays at home ;)
    But like you, cables (power and signal) are something I take PLENTY of to a gig,,,,never know when one of them is going to fail.
    Sounds like you had a good show Geraldo….wonder what it would have been like with the KPA!

quote='Geraldo7','index.php?page=Thread&postID=111505#post111505']Hey Gizmo,

i have never experienced something big like this. But when playing the final rehearsal two hours before the show for 200+ people my preamp (i used a korg A4 before the KPA was out) went out, then on, then out again. The conductor of the musical was upset. I checked the cables, everything. You'll know how this feels ... I would have used my single channel tube amp, a vox-like handmade gem from germany, but ofcourse i would have lacked the diversity of my six or seven sounds i had prepared for the show.

I checked the cables again, played the rehearsal with one sound. In the break i changed to the plug socket quite a few meters away from my place with a 5 meter cable i fortunately had with me. Bingo! Goodness, what a relief. Tried to replicate the failure to no avail. Good Gods of music. The show went extremely well. Standing Ovations. I do not dare to imagine what would have happened if i had not the cable with me! All is well that ends well?!

Yes and no. I will never forget this and try to have EVERY single thing backuped. But like you i cannot afford to have 2 KPAs. So here is my ridiculous long list for a show this size:

• KPA - Backup: a Zoom or the Korg = 5kg + 3kg
    • Power Amp - Backup: a Magnum mini amp = 8kg
    • a small 1x12 - no backup = 6kg
    • a fantastic guitar - backupped by a good guitar, two cases = 10 kg
    • a bag for the KPA and a case for the cables - backuped by more cables = 4kg
    • miscelaneous things, this and that, strings & scores = 2 kg

and this is only me! for one single gig. medium salary. i feel with you! it must have been horrible. try to get a used zoom hd for cheap money and check the list above. at my age i prefer teaching music now.

cheers[/quote]

Well, yup, I know the size of the gig has nothing to do with if a conditioner makes a difference or not to the power, but it definitely does make a difference to the amount of "stuff" i have to carry.
    I play in a band with two women, a drummer and a guest sax player so usually for small gigs I'm the one who has to haul PA, lights, my girlfriend's bass gear and everything else that's needed. For larger (and usually better paying), there's either PA provided or we pay a sound guy!
    To be honest the last thing I need to carry and worry about is another piece of gear that I don't need to carry with my tube amps.

Thanks for the link though. If I only had to worry about my own stuff I'd probably consider one of these.

The size of a gig really has nothing to do with it. A power conditioner isn't a big deal to take to gigs and it can prevent damage to your KPA (as well as your floorboard, amp, etc.). I always take one of these to my gigs, and it's all of 7"x7"x6" and weighs 6lbs. It's cheap, but effective, insurance for gear that costs way more than the cost of the conditioner. IMO, of course! :)

That;s the weird thing though, although I MIGHT have had the no sound after boot problem before (can't be 100% certain), I definitely haven't had the lock up and showing a screen just like the start up screen.

Makes me think it might have been a "dirty power" problem, but there's no way I'm going to start carting around a power conditioner, not for the size of gigs I do.

Next rehearsal we'll practice what to do if it happens again. usually we play with a sax player who could have done an extended solo, but this time it was just me bass and drums!

If it DOES happen again though, I'll definitely be sending a backup to support.

I've experienced this bug twice on pre 2.2 firmware. havent taken my kemper out for a while though. Backup rig is going until progress is made on all no sound issues.

It has taken me a while to get the confidence to use the KPA in a live setting, but last night was my third gig with my KPA, CLR and UNO4K. I've been getting some good feedback on my sound and the combination works well together.

I'm using 2.1.1 release and avoided 2.2 because of the gig.

Anyway, setting up in a pretty cramped space with the audience ready to dance, there was no sound at all from the CLR after the KPA booted up. I couldn't hear a thing from the CLR so assumed that was the problem and started swapping cables and powering the CLR off then on...no luck. Getting a bit worried and ready to drag in my backup tube amp, I vaguely remembered a forum discussion about no sound, but because it hadn't happened to me before I didn't take much notice of the fix so I powered down the KPA and started it up again...voila....sound!
    Panic over for now.

But then later in the gig, the worst thing happened. No sound at all again. This time I looked at the KPA and it was showing the boot screen but no progress bar and nothing I did could make it go away so my only recourse was to power down and wait for it to restart (meanwhile the dance floor was starting to empty ;(

Neither of these things had happened to me since I bought the KPA a year ago so it shook my confidence a little in using the KPA in a live setting.

On top of this I noticed that I have a bad LED on the vol control ;(

I remember as a kid falling off my bicycle and my parents saying I should get straight back onto the bike.

I'm hoping I can avoid the the strong urge to go back to my tube amps and just get back onto that bicycle for the next gig…..I like riding the Kemper!

Thanks Burkhard, that is perfectly clear and not hard to understand once you start editing in perf mode.

However my initial issue still stands in that for long rig names, once you go to sort slots or rename slots you only see the first 12 characters of the rig name so you have to write down what they are before you start editing.

It is completely understandable why slot names get truncated for the performance view, but for long rig names with the first 12 characters being the same as other rigs in that performance, the rename slot or sort slot process is painful and impossible to do properly without writing the rig names down first.

It seems to me that rig naming should take this into account, or the full rig name should be shown in the sort or rename screens.

I recently posted this thread:

Organising/renaming rigs in perf mode...long rig names = difficult

It had no comments but I believe it to be important enough to post again here.

Using some of Andy's great Fender Toolkit profiles as an example:
    AFF-61 Super C1 Clean3, 4 5, etc or AFF-61 Super C1 Cln5+, Cln6+ etc.

In browse mode, if the rig name is over 21 characters and there are several profiles with similar names and where the last character is important, it is cut off and they all look the same so you don't know which one you are loading. (the last character could be a gain level for example)

In performance mode, the slot names are truncated to 12 characters in the slot and 16 characters if you try to rename them. There's only so much space for characters (otherwise they'd be way too small), so once they are in a slot you see only the first 12 characters and they all look the same again. If you try to re-order them, you don't know which ones they are, and if you try to rename them, you only see the first 16 characters, so you STILL. don't know which ones they are.

The only way around this I have found is to rename the rigs in browse mode...kind of a pain if there's lots with similar names

Am I missing something or doe there need to be a different way to name rigs (especially multiple profiles with similar names)

Sorry, no ideas, but something similar happened to me a couple of times....

I pasted a full set of 4 fx into 4 different sots....the first 2 slots and the last one worked ok, but no matter what I did, the 3rd one didn't change. ( I could still see the original fx)

So I saved it anyway and when I went back to look, it seems that it had worked and all of them were ok.

Perhaps save the performance and go back to take a look....maybe it has worked but not updated the display.

To be honest, I find the whole performance editing process cumbersome and prone to mistakes.....looking forward to an editor/librarian.

Select the slot that you want the stomps from.

Press and hold the "STOMPS" button so that all the stomps show up then press the COPY button.

You can then copy all the stomps at once to another slot (even in another performance)

You can do the same with the EFFECTS.

If you want to copy to multiple locations, just hit the COPY button immediately after hitting PASTE so that you fill the copy buffer up again (it empties when you paste)

So I filled a performance with some of TAF Fender Toolkit. (a truly outstanding set of profiles)

All 5 slots were filled with the same amp but different gain profiles.

I then tried to reorder them so that that the gains went up from left to right and thats when I started to tear my hair out.

Each rig starts with "AFF-61 Super C1" then a word that describes the gain such as "Clean3" or "Cln5+"

Unfortunately, because the slot has only enough room for so many character, each slot only shows "AFF-61 Super" and when I tried to reorder the slots using the soft key, I just see 5 slots with the same name.

So I tried to rename each slot.

I was then surprised to see that the full rig name does not appear, only the first part of the rig and not the part which tells me the gain....so I STILL couldn't tell which rig was in which slot without writing them down first.

I'm only using Andy's profiles as an example here, because I'm filling lots of performances with them...they're that good, but it seems that the editing function and slot size make it impossible to edit rig names longer than 16 characters and by adding the prefix AFF- for example, it makes it hard to edit. Even using different abbreviations confuses things such as "Clean3" and "Cln5+"

I know that the prefix allows us to see your rigs in order during browse mode, but even there, the important right hand part of the name gets cut off.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Hey Vince, I've seen a couple on Ottawa Kijiji over the last few months. You're right, they go quickly but I'm not sure you'll save a heap of $$$ based on what I saw, they seem to be going for about as much a I paid about a year ago. Maybe the tax....but then you'll lose the warranty.
    Good luck in your search!

quote='Khayman37','index.php?page=Thread&postID=107260#post107260']Salut Marc !

Thanks for your answer. I'm actually willing to buy one shipped from anywhere in the country, but each ad I reply to is obsolete by the time I see it. Kempers are welling well I guess.

Anyway, I'll bump and hope, it would be significant savings for me to buy one used, and, you never know, I might just find one ;)

A bientôt !

Vince[/quote]

There still appears to be a startup bug in 2.1

When I startup the KPA into performance mode, the first slot in performance #1 has the wrong rig name in the dark strip along the bottom.
    If I go up to performance 2 and back, it fixes itself.

Anyone else get this?

I'm about to go for one of these too and can't quite make my mind up.
    I play blues with mostly single coil but use hummies too. No hi gain here, just a little bite and crunch.
    I get the feeling from the soundclips that the Fender Toolkit might be just a little too clean
    Any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks Gizmo, looks like they only make one for the cab and not the monitor

Hi Whip
    They make covers for anything.
    In fact they didn't do the CLR cab until I ordered mine. They have some good templates and you just send them the dimensions.
    I've done that twice with new products and they've always turned out well. No extra charge either...they just add them to their catalog.

As an example...

In performance mode, if I want to copy an fx from one slot to another, the copy paste function works great.

But what If I want to copy from one to several different slots?

The paste buffer empties itself after the first paste and I have to go and copy it again.

Is this normal behaviour or have I just missed something.

Wouldn't it be better if the paste buffer held on to the last thing that I copied until I copy something else?