Posts by paults

Yes, you specifically want to approach it like recording - if the mic doesn't "hear" the sound you want, it will not be in the profile.

But, that has little or nothing to do with preamp quality. No preamp is needed to profile, if you use a dynamic mic or have a phantom power box for a condensor mic.

The positions of the knobs on the amplifier, the type and amount of Refining, and Mic placement are all much more important than the perceived quality of the mic preamp.

If you have a preamp set to get a specific type of distortion or frequency response, that would be reflected in the profile.

Any subtle differences between two "clean" mic preamps wouldn't likely have much, if any impact on the profile.

I know of at least one person who has made some of the the most highly regarded amp and cabinet profiles, and used a mini Behringer mixer to mix multiple mics when he made them. It provides dual phantom power, input trims, and is an integrated mic/line mixer.

I think you just made a great "bang for the buck" score.

You got a 27w RMS per side, into 8 ohms stereo amplifier with multiple inputs, multiple speaker outs, analog AM and FM, for less than the price of something like this:

[Blocked Image: http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/4/001/254/921/DV017_Jpg_Thumbnail_481335_R.jpg]

For the Kemper, either of these Inputs will work:

Tape-1 Play/CD
    or
    Tape-2 Play

Tape-1 and Tape-2 both also have REC outputs, for recording Radio to tape, Record Player to tape, or recording from Tape-1's output to Tape-2 (dubbing mode).

So, you could connect the Kemper to Tape-1 Play/CD, and record it on whatever is connected to Tape-2 REC ( a DAW, an audio interface for a computer, your phone, etc...). It looks like you push both Tape-1 and Tape-2 buttons on the front panel to do that.

Harmon Kardon? Marantz? Pioneer? Something else?

The Kemper will sound pretty much like a guitar on a CD sounds through your receiver/speakers.

You can connect the Kemper Main Outs (they are analog - no conversion needed) to ALMOST any of the available stereo Input pairs.

But, DON'T USE the Phono input on the receiver. It has a special EQ circuit for the signal from a record player.

You are correct - the inputs are RCA jacks. So, you would want two 1/4" to RCA cable.

The receiver is designed for a -20 to -10 db signal, so the Kemper Master Volume should be turned down to that level to prevent unwanted distortion.

Also, the Loudness switch on the receiver should be OFF for most accurate sound.

Hmmm.... If Kemper was looking into adding pitch-based effects, and if they had any background at all in synthesis and oscillators, they might be able to make something like this that could be controlled by an expression pedal hooked up to the Profiler.

Seriously, though - that pedal would be great for anyone who doesn't play loud enough to do it the old-fashioned way, and the eBow-ish sounds in that demo could be musically useful to many people, including those of us who DO play loud enough to get conventional feedback.

THREAD SUMMARY:

OP: Can I use two profiles at once?

A: Not at this point. It might even require hardware changes to be able to do that.

OP: Well, it won't work for me, then.

A: Understood. The only current workaround is owning two Kempers. Or, using a different product or two.

Shamalama,

(assuming you are still involved)

If the personal behavior of people who own a product influences your decision to buy it, you will never buy ANYTHING if you read the Forum of ANY product.

I've owned just about every brand name of high end guitar gear at some point, and I've personally seen that EVERY internet forum has dominant personalities, and EVERY internet forum has frequent posters, and SOME of those people post from a defensive perspective, but do it in an aggressive way.

Of course, it is not just guitar gear:

"Us vs. Them" is a valuable human instinct, when survival is truly an issue. It does not go away, even when the hierarchy of need is at the level of Self Actualization. We ALL do it, on some level, on some subject.

If you don't have a practical use, or artistic need for one of these boxes, the personal behavior of strangers may be what little it takes to decide not to buy one.

Regardless of all of the above:

If you don't end up with a Kemper, enjoy whatever you already own, or will eventually buy. :)

Unless you are recording a similar arrangement, with similar sounding drums and bass, I don't think you really would have a use for an exact match. The EQ on the recording is not the same as what the guitarist heard while it was being played.

Find something similar, tweak the knobs at little to suit your playback system. And, PLAY!

:)

Or - a Kemper Profile Rig Exchange App for your phone?

It would let you browse and download Rigs.

And, then, use the existing USB port with the phone to load the Rigs into the Kemper.