Posts by paults

That may be possible, but, what would then determine what effect slot would be activated for that effect?

For your gig sounds, you may want to standardize (as much as possible) the positions of your most commonly used effects, and have an open slot or two for the oddball fun stuff.

Many of us have used a Condenser + Dynamic mic combination. It works just as well as when used for recording.

I think all of us are answering your first question (about using a small mixer).

In terms of your second question:
    I don't know that it is possible to use the line in as a second input when profiling, but that is something that has been suggested as a new feature.

I could never get that open and transparent tone from my X3. I liked it, but I like what I have now much better:)

As long as you are using a humbucker at the bridge, you can get that sound with just about any Marshall-ish profile. A Soldano might be a good starting point, too.

Throw clean boost in front of a plexi. Add some reverb. Done :)

It reminds me of a cross between "Lady Evil" Black Sabbath and "Looks that Kill" Mötley Crüe.

A couple of 'already close' rigs:
    Andy's TAF 80s rig ( in the ones Kemper offers) would be a good starting point. Turn off the chorus ( I think it is on by default - in the 80s, we rarely turned them off)

For that matter, it wouldn't take much editing to make "Golub Crunch" sound like that, either.

If you have a hot pickup, the first step would be to turn down the gain on either of the above rigs.

I had a "happy accident" like that - one of the microphone booms was bumped by a cat, and the microphone moved to the side of the cabinet. It was already intended to be the off-cone mic, so I wasn't surprised by it sounding quieter than the mic directly in front of the speaker. I level matched the two mics, got a profile I really liked. I sure was surprised to see that mic's location after I made the profile :)

If it is the "E" on the "G" string, but not the same note on the "B" or "E" string, it sounds like either you have a fret issue up there, or, if you are using a strat, your neck pickup may be too close to the strings (the higher you play on the neck, the closer it gets).

This may have been too subtle to notice with your previous rig, especially if it did not have the high gain capability of the Kemper.

What are you running the Kemper into? Which output are you using on the Kemper, and what is the Kempers output level?

m33,

You don't have to profile your own amps to get a great sound with a Kemper.

Hey - Is the output of the Kemper at 100%? If so, you are sending a +4db signal into something expecting much less. If it doesn't have any indication of input level, it is being overdriven by that signal, and that could account for sound issues.

How do unedited rigs sound in your best headphones from the headphone jack on the Kemper? Or, for that matter, in the earbuds that came with your phone/mp3 player/etc? Different than your monitors?

You're right, doing recording the needs are different. I just play live (actually came back 'bout now from a nice pub gig, new venue, nice audience.)

I played Friday a live show Friday night, too. Three guitarists came out specifically to hear the Kemper who had never heard one live, as well as a fourth who heard it once when I first got it. It received many tone compliments from friendly tubeheads :)

Suggested settings may be tricky for others to suggest - the mod gave it an extra knob :) So, I suppose the mod either gave it another gain stage, or is a "master volume" for the preamp, so it can be turned up for preamp gain, but the level of the distorted signal can be reduced, so the input of the power amp is not over driven.

I was going to suggest the sweet spot my old JMP had ( Channel on 4, Master on 6 ), but I noticed it is already set to that in the picture :)

Channel on 4 and Master on 10 was always too loud for gigs, but sounded really good. Try that!

If I was still using 4-12 cabinets and a rack full of gear live (or a Kemper in Pedalboard form), I might be tempted to have more than one. But, the toaster is so portable (compared to some of my previous rigs with six, eight, ten, or twelve space rack), for the first time in many years, I don't feel the need for a separate recording rig.

So, I'm glad I didn't decide to wait for the rack. If I had one of those, it would be packed up with the rest of the live gear, and I would still be using something else for recording.

Welcome!

I don't bother to mic up my old Jubilee or even older Deluxe for recording anymore - with those profiles, and all the other available profiles available, getting a specific amp sound for a guitar part is SO easy :)