Posts by Myramyd

Turn the Main Output down to -10dB--that is a "line level" similar to a keyboard or other gear. That's what I do and no more complaints.

Yes, it's too hot otherwise unless the sound guy is smart enough to have and use the pad switch on their board, which they never want to push for some reason...

J

This just started happening to me today. When I first power up the KPA (in Perform Mode), it switches Slot 1 to "Initialised Rig" instead of the one it's supposed to be on whatever performance I'm on. If I use the up and down switches on the KPA it won't come back but, if I use the foot controller (FCB1010) the correct rig will come back if I cycle up and down performances a few times. Just changing slots in the same performance won't bring it back but, changing performances back and forth a few times will.

I have had this happen to me with the FCB connected and without it. The strange thing is that I've played around 8 gigs on the KPA 2.01 beta firmware and this just happened today at rehearsal! I think the reason why is that usually when I power up the KPA it's on Performance #25-50, then I cycle it back down to #1, whereas today I started out on #1 without changing performances. So, it may have been there all along and I didn't notice.

Strange. I would bet this is an easy fix but, the KPA team needs to be aware of it.

J

+1 for me!

It would save me a lot of embarrassment on stage. I have all my main rhythms set up on Slot 1 and leads on Slot 5. We have a lot of songs where I end with a lead, then I advance to the next song and sometimes it takes me a minute or so to realize that I'm on a really loud lead Slot 5 instead of the normal volume Slot 1.

Kind of like the stage equivalent of driving around with your blinker on! :wacko:

J

Just FYI, mine was doing this exact thing the first time I updated the firmware to one with the Harmonizer. It was "forgetting" the User Scale for a few seconds. I mainly used it in Perform Mode. What I did to resolve it was recreate the rig over from scratch (i.e. take the original profile and add the effect again and resave it afterwards). Since then the rigs no longer have the same issue.

I have 5 patches with Harmonizer effects and they are instantly switching on after going back and redoing them. Don't ask me why that worked but, it did! :P

Also, I have created new patches since that time and didn't need to redo them. For some reason it was just that first series of rigs I created.

J

I can tell you that this time of year, many many products are out of stock because it falls in between product cycles. The process of manufacturing is such that things are usually done in batches. If you are caught in between those batches then you have to wait. I had to wait the longer than this amount of time when I ordered my Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier (as well as many other products). I didn't go on their message board and accuse them of dubious business practices!

Kemper is a modest but, high-quality company not a mass-produced Chinese factory conglomerate (not unlike Mesa Boogie or PRS). In my business I do a lot of work with Sennheiser, Shure, and a few others and they are the EXACT same way. There will be 10,000 available one month and zero the next. You can't predict sales ahead of time.

Also, looking at Sweetwater's site, there are still several models in stock. You don't even specify which one you are looking at getting!

J

Thanks for your input guys.

I ran our upcoming set last night and had it on for around 3 hours and it didn't happen again. The running out of memory thing sounds plausible. I had been auditioning a good number of rigs and for a long period of time.

Let's hope that's all it was!

I always keep a backup USB drive with me as well. It's been pretty much rock solid on stage so far. In fact, the only problems I've had were needing to hit the Ground Lift switches and me hooking up the cables wrong 3 or 4 times. :D

John

I suppose it would help to say that it happened right when I switched from one rig to another within a preset (Slot 5 to Slot 1). Slot 5 was a high gain rig and Slot 1 was a clean rig with lots of effects.

Using FCB1010 with UNO4Kemper chip.

Not sure if that matters or not.

J

Hello,

I have been working all weekend programming 50 presets in Performance Mode. I've become intimately connected with Perform Mode now. :P

Today I updated to 2.0.1 and after about 5 hours of programming the audio "crashed" on me while programming a rig. Not sure if it has anything to do with the update or not. The input and output audio went dead (no Tuner LED's would light and no noise from the rig I was on, which was high gain with no gate). I was still able to switch to different rigs and performances and turn effects on and off. Tried a different cable and plugged into the headphone jack as well as looked at all the output levels. The only thing I can say is that I have had it turned on all day and hadn't restarted it since doing the update. Not sure if that means anything or if it was just upset with me for programming it for so long!

I restarted the KPA and the audio came back, which is good. However, this has me really worried as I have a couple of gigs on the 4th of July in front of many thousands of people--to have it do this on stage would be sheer disaster! I can't afford a second backup KPA (I could barely afford the first one!). Worth the price but, I digress...

Just wondering how concerned I should be? It's never happened to me before (I've had it since Nov 2012 gigging nearly every week). Also want to start this thread in case it happens to anyone else.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
    J

I'm having the same problem.

After saving a rig several times in a row it finally remembered it but, saving that harmony with user scales as an effect preset it won't remember the user scales I put in.

In Performance Mode, sometimes now it will "forget" the user scale for the first few notes, then kick back in after.

It seems to be a legit bug on my end and I was just about to report it. Looks like I'm not the only one!

J

Quick update--I realized the Micropitch is best when mixed at 50% or below (around 40-45% is best) and that minimizes the flanging effect in mono. My bad on that one.

But, I would still like to have control over the panning overall--both the ability to turn it on or off and control the rate. I'm hoping to go stereo in the near future if the FOH will let me!

I'm assuming the rate will increase or decrease if using the Tap Tempo but, I haven't tried that.

Our drummer is a bit sketchy on tempos so, using Tap Tempo isn't a good idea for me. :P

J

Make sure you have the Voice Mix on 0 (which is equal amounts of Voice 1 & Voice 2). I think it defaults to -5 which is 100% of Voice 1 and 0% of Voice 2.

J

I was a little confused at first also but, if you turn the Voice 1 and Voice 2 knobs all the way to the extreme right, you will see User Scale 1 & 2 with or without octaves there as options. This selects the user scale instead of the default major/minor scale.

J

Hello,

I'm setting up all of my effects for Performance Mode after streamlining my setup to only use the KPA for all my effects. I'm loving the quality if what I heard so far but, lack of parameters in general and the random panning and panning rate of the delays and modulations are driving me a little crazy to be honest.

(Please forgive my terminology in advance--I'm not sure what the panning rate is controlled by, whether it is an LFO or something else.)

To have no control over all this random panning business is really tough. I noticed that the Delays always seem to start and end on one side and the Micropitch randomly starts your whole signal on the left side. I really wish there was a way to shut that off or have control of it! Not that I don't want any panning but, to control it on or off and adjust the rate is kind of critical IMHO.

In mono mode you can hear some kind of LFO or flange/phase modulation that you can't get rid of on the Micropitch. It makes it almost unusable since there is that modulation-rate-sweep happening. With the same effect in my Boss or Eventide units there is no modulation or LFO rate or sweep (whatever you want to call it) in mono. The KPA version sounds like a subtle flanger in mono and in stereo it's randomly panning at a pre-determined rate so, it seems like that panning LFO rate is what is causing the Micropitch to sound like a sweeping flange or phaser in mono mode to me. Yes, I have my Main Output set to Master Mono.

I would really be happy if we can control and/or shut this off. Please correct me if there is a way to do this and I'm not seeing it.

I can explain in more detail if needed.

Thanks for listening to my pathetic rant! :wacko:
    J

I just have to comment here.

I have been using pitch effects extensively live (Eventide PitchFactor, Whammy, Boss Harmonist, Boss GT-100, POG, Boss PS-5, going way back to my GSP2101) and was really skeptical about the new pitch effects. After watching Bill's demo (I have been a HUGE fan of Bill's EHX demos--watched all of them many times) I had to go and try them out.

While they don't have the variety of effects found in the PitchFactor, with the Pure Tuning, Smooth Chords, and Formant Shift the SOUND is just absolutely amazing. It really is a game changer as CK put it. I thought the POG/HOG series from EHX had been the best so far in terms of sounding "organic"--albeit with a ton of added noise floor--but, these are just hands down the best sounding pitch FX I've ever heard. Quiet, smooth, and very organic and musical if you tweak them right.

Other than the Whammy, I have never liked pitch effects in front of an amp, because of the "beating" and horrible harmonic intermodulation but, with the Pure Tuning feature the pitch harmonies sound gorgeously smooth in front of all the gain.

I do wish there were more tweak-able parameters and some additional possibilities (all things I miss from the PitchFactor) but, I'm blown away with the sound quality. Nothing else is close save for actually recording multiple layers of guitars.

Thanks to Bill for "forcing" me to try them out. :P

AND thanks to CK and team for bringing the Pure Tuning and Formant Shift to the guitar world!

J

I will occasionally bring along a spare mic (omni works best) and plug it into my mixer to mix in some room sound but, that often just muddies up the sound a great deal. The majority of the time I can still hear the mains even with my IEMs in so, not usually needed in my case.

Last night I had the opportunity to control my monitor mix from a Presonus StudioLive mixer via my iPad. Between that and the IEMs I was in pure heaven! I can't see ever going back to the loud floor wedges again.

J

I run straight to the PA--no speakers needed if the sound is being done correctly. Most if not all sound guys are very happy when there is no stage volume (other than drums of course) to deal with. But, we do our own sound 95% of the time and run a digital board. I wish we had the Aviom system--some of you guys are spoiled! :D

I have the board give me a mix without any guitar, then run the board mix and Monitor Output of the Kemper into a Mixer on my rack so I can control the levels of each on the fly. I do pan the guitar slightly one way and mix the other to give some separation. Then I can EQ if needed but, I usually only dial out some low end from the board mix. If you have good enough IEMs I'm not sure why you would need to EQ--the lower end models have a serious high end rolloff but, that can also be okay since it saves your hearing. But, if you like highs you will have to spend more and get a better set of IEMs. My presets all sound perfect to me. WAY better than my mic-ed Marshall stack ever did in the IEMs or in the PA. My Marshall sounded great in the room but, unless you put 2-3 well placed mics on it, that sound didn't translate to the PA, whereas the KPA sounds like that with the turn of a chicken-head knob! 8)

I use Shure SE-425s but, I hear the Westone stuff is good also.

YMMV

J

Sorry, you are correct about the CC# on the Boss stuff. Also, the assignable switches won't "latch" with the KPA so, if you want to enable a stomp for example, you would have to hold down the switch. Even though it's well documented on this forum, I had forgotten that. ;(

Also, the Program Change Map doesn't work on my GT-100 for some reason. I messed around with it and no matter what I did it wouldn't use the map instead of the default.

Between those two, I'm not sure the Boss stuff will ever be ideal for using Perform Mode. I will most likely go the Behringer FCB with KemperUno route in the near future.

Slightly disappointed but, I guess the setup and convenience will make up for it.

J

I've been using IEMs only with the KPA since I got it. Since I would like to have my hearing 20 years from now I will never go back. Hearing everything clearly at a reasonable volume with your own custom mix is like pure heaven. I played without them at rehearsal a few weeks ago and it was miserable!

I also have a mixer in my rack so I can adjust the monitor volume of the KPA on the fly, along with the amount of monitor send from the board.

I like hearing everything, not being blasted out though--our stage volume is pretty massive even with no floor monitors. :D

J

I don't know if the GT-10 has it but, I have the Boss GT-100 and it has a "Program Change Map" where you can map which PC changes go to which. This is what I plan to do to get around the 4 switches.

To give myself a fifth "switch" I plan to program the PH.Loop Pedal to the CC# for the fifth slot on Perform Mode, which will give me the same lineup as 5 switches.

I haven't tried it yet but, it should work in theory. :P

I plan to work on it tonight if I can. If the GT-10 has the same functionality then you would be golden but, I'm not familiar with the MIDI capabilities of that unit.

J