Posts by MLScola

Duke, Paul,
    Wanted to let you both know that the small speakers are way closer to the demo clip with the LovePedal, many thanks for the tips. Cone breakup seems to be the secret ingredient. Don Petersen asked me to profile the pedal which I'll attempt today. And I ordered a Marshall Mini MS2 to try to get the whole chain as a profile. I think some folks would find this sound interesting. Mucho obligato, gentlemen.

Stunned and stunning, definitely the right words. I felt the exact same way when I got my toaster and still feel the same almost a year later. You're gonna love it.

CK is a genius and Kemper is a stand up company like you've never seen. Continuous free updates/upgrades, constantly adding value for the end user ... what company does that?

BTW this is a great forum, very friendly and helpful people. Enjoy!

It costs more but if you want a good UPS ... get an "online/double conversion" model. This means the unit is always feeding current from its batteries. Very pure power. Pretty sure all the major UPS manufacturers make them. You'll never have to worry about a power sag, brown out or outage again!

Hey Paul, I was wondering when you were gonna make an appearance ;)

In the demo it sounds like the guy is switching the pedal in and out. The part I'm interested in is the pedal overdrive. Now I own this pedal but none of my amps or KPA rigs can duplicate what I preceive as another, lower harmonic. This harmonic gives the sound some extra width. It seems most noticeable on 3 note chords and double stops. The extra note(s) seems to force even more harmonics. If it's not a blown speaker or a cabinet artifact, that's fine but I'd sure like to know how to achieve this. Sounds very organic to my ear.

The notes on the clip says Michael Katon used a '58 Tele thru a '69 Plexi 100w and a 4 holer 4x12 cab. Don seems to think the artifacts are coming from the amp head (being so old) in combination with the pedal.

The brittleness I heard in the softer sections I attribute to his slide (metal, not glass?) on the bridge pup and the fact the gain has cleaned up so much.

Anyway, I really like that overdrive/extra harmonic effect. Wish the pedal could do that by itself. Any thoughts on "how to" would be appreciated.

Thank you, Mr. Petersen!
    I appreciate yours and everybody's suggestions and will try them. I'm on a quest and yes, if I can nail this sound I'll definitely post it in the Exchange. I think it would be a real popular addition.

A question for you: is it possible to profile a semi-blown speaker? Do you think that's what's causing the undertone? To my way of thinking this is an acoustic event/artifact/harmonic and has the potential to be captured by a mic. I ask because (if all else fails) I could push a cheap speaker (that I don't care about) into compression and cone break-up and maybe profile that? Your thoughts, sir?

Joptunes- haven't profiled the pedal into an amp because I can't get the same sound yet.
    Hannes- tried Plexi profiles but none are close to the same sound. I will try your definition suggestion.
    Lokasenna- this is what I'm wondering. Is it possible to profile a semi-blown speaker?

Another thought I had was to try to synthesize it, maybe blending in a lower pitch, dialed way back.

Wonder what Don Peterson would do?

There's a sound clip/demo of a Lovepedal Mk12 Chrome Bender that I love. Demo was done with a Tele thru a 69' 100W Plexi with a 4x12 cab. Here's the link:

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/F9OX7aN8_JY

There's an undertone that sounds like a blown, ripped or rubbing speaker that I just love. I loved it so much that I bought the pedal (before I got my toaster). Now I've tried to duplicate this sound by using the pedal into the KPA using a Marshall rig but no luck.

So I'm asking the Forum collective for any suggestions to get me there ... with or without the Bender. Without would be better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there such a thing as profiling a blown cab?

Thanks.

PBGas,
    Thanks for responding. This is very good info. I didn't expect to hear anybody say a 4x12 guitar cab would work with most rigs. This definitely opens my mind to experimenting with a cab and the KPA.

Hey PBGas,
    Just curious about your 4x12 experiences. Are you using standard rigs or DI profiles or a combination of the two? Going thru your cab, are you able to use any rig at will or does your 4x12 only like certain ones?

Hey D,
    You're gonna love the Kemper, it's a fantastic piece of gear. I'm a year and change into mine and it still gives me thrills and chills. I'm selling my AC30 and tons of pedals, etc., don't need 'em anymore.

Reading your history, very similar to my own. Spent years in the bar and college circuit, did a few national act openings, some pro recording, some session work, songwriting, etc. I'll bet you have some really good stories ... I have a few myself.

You'll like this Forum and the people here. Very helpful, good attitudes and lots of good ideas. Ask any question, somebody will have a good answer. Welcome!

My guess? One problem could be you're used to hearing a cab blow all that air underneath your ears. If you could hear your KPA with a high powered FRFR system, that would help somewhat. Maybe you could borrow a CLR and crank the piss out of it. Or at least try your Mackies.

The 2nd issue could be that you need to acclimate your ears to hearing a "studio mic'ed amp sound" as opposed to an amp sound onstage. They are very different animals. It's the hardest transition for live players. This is probably what's making you crazy.

You already know the KPA excels at getting great recording tones. You know national and international guitar stars are using the KPA live. You just need to get your mind and ears around your live situation.

If you're using lots of different tones in your performance then look at the earlier suggestions (they're all good) and look hard at FRFR systems. If you just need a good primary tone or two and if you're set on using your 4x12, I'd really consider Armin's advice.

You're more than welcome, Trainwreck.

Just a word of advice: an amp in the room and FRFR are very different animals so give yourself a chance to adjust. I keep my AC30H2 and 65 Amps Lil' Elvis right between my CLR's to remind myself of the difference. I enjoy both but more and more I'm preferring the KPA/CLR's. I get better control and can dial in more detail. Of course you own a KPA so I'm just preaching to the choir.

Pretty sure you're going to enjoy your CLR, just take your time. Pump some music through it too. BTW, crank it up if you can. A cool rig at 85 db may reveal itself to be too bright at 98 db. And you're going to notice that some rigs have a lot more bass than others, which your CLR will show you. But that's just how they were profiled. In Performance mode, I ended up inserting a studio EQ into the B slot to cut the low end off my fave rigs.

Would like to hear what you think after you get it. Have fun!