Any suggestions on how to get a ripped speaker sound?

• There's a sound clip/demo of a Lovepedal Mk12 Chrome Bender that I love. Demo was done with a Tele thru a 69' 100W Plexi with a 4x12 cab. Here's the link:

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/F9OX7aN8_JY

There's an undertone that sounds like a blown, ripped or rubbing speaker that I just love. I loved it so much that I bought the pedal (before I got my toaster). Now I've tried to duplicate this sound by using the pedal into the KPA using a Marshall rig but no luck.

So I'm asking the Forum collective for any suggestions to get me there ... with or without the Bender. Without would be better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there such a thing as profiling a blown cab?

Thanks.

• Have you tried to profile an amp with this pedal in front, to profile the entire chain? Sounds like like you've tried the pedal in front of the KPA and it didn't do what you were looking for.

I like the clip sounds!

Sean

• Joptunes- haven't profiled the pedal into an amp because I can't get the same sound yet.
    Hannes- tried Plexi profiles but none are close to the same sound. I will try your definition suggestion.
    Lokasenna- this is what I'm wondering. Is it possible to profile a semi-blown speaker?

Another thought I had was to try to synthesize it, maybe blending in a lower pitch, dialed way back.

Wonder what Don Peterson would do?

• There's a sound clip/demo of a Lovepedal Mk12 Chrome Bender that I love. Demo was done with a Tele thru a 69' 100W Plexi with a 4x12 cab. Here's the link:

http://shelf3d.com/Videos/F9OX7aN8_JY

there's some sweet tonage right there! :)

Now I've tried to duplicate this sound by using the pedal into the KPA using a Marshall rig but no luck.

<->

Joptunes- haven't profiled the pedal into an amp because I can't get the same sound yet.

I think you should put the Tone Bender into the send of the profiler and go into your amp from there (and back into the return with the mic).
    Once you find that sound - profile it.

Some fuzz boxes are extremely picky about the signal they're being fed, so you might have to use a little dummy load, that tricks the fuzz into 'thinking' that the signal is coming from pickups.
    r.u. sirius is using such a (simple) device, and so do I for profiling fuzzes.

Wonder what Don Peterson would do?

1st, I'd spell my name correctly - haha - no worries, it's kinda hard with the 'Don' in front, leads automatically to '-son' :)
    2nd besides what I just recommended, I'd also profile the fuzz directly (KPA Send -> Fuzz -> KPA Return) and add a cab later on, some great sounds can be created this way.
    also, by adding Power Sag and Compression, you can make the signal more amp-like.

experiment, have fun and please report back, cause that's a really sweet tone and I'd very much like to have that one available in the Profiler/Rig Exchange.

• Thank you, Mr. Petersen!
    I appreciate yours and everybody's suggestions and will try them. I'm on a quest and yes, if I can nail this sound I'll definitely post it in the Exchange. I think it would be a real popular addition.

A question for you: is it possible to profile a semi-blown speaker? Do you think that's what's causing the undertone? To my way of thinking this is an acoustic event/artifact/harmonic and has the potential to be captured by a mic. I ask because (if all else fails) I could push a cheap speaker (that I don't care about) into compression and cone break-up and maybe profile that? Your thoughts, sir?

• well, the sound you're talking about wasn't created by a blown speaker, so there's no need to mutilate one. :)
    seriously.

on the other hand, I know about one instance where the amp being profiled already had some major 'health' issues (old, caps, just about to fail) and they happened to fail while being profiled.
    this led to a very unique profile, consistent with the sound of an amp on the verge of death.

I have an old, basically worthless speaker right here, and doing some 'work' on it as they did a long time ago in Chicago (needles and other very wrong stuff) might yield some interesting results.

However, I do not recomend that at all!
    I might do an experiment with it and share the results, but you people please treat your equipment with lots of care and respect and let me do the crazy stuff. :)

• Hey Paul, I was wondering when you were gonna make an appearance ;)

In the demo it sounds like the guy is switching the pedal in and out. The part I'm interested in is the pedal overdrive. Now I own this pedal but none of my amps or KPA rigs can duplicate what I preceive as another, lower harmonic. This harmonic gives the sound some extra width. It seems most noticeable on 3 note chords and double stops. The extra note(s) seems to force even more harmonics. If it's not a blown speaker or a cabinet artifact, that's fine but I'd sure like to know how to achieve this. Sounds very organic to my ear.

The notes on the clip says Michael Katon used a '58 Tele thru a '69 Plexi 100w and a 4 holer 4x12 cab. Don seems to think the artifacts are coming from the amp head (being so old) in combination with the pedal.

The brittleness I heard in the softer sections I attribute to his slide (metal, not glass?) on the bridge pup and the fact the gain has cleaned up so much.

Anyway, I really like that overdrive/extra harmonic effect. Wish the pedal could do that by itself. Any thoughts on "how to" would be appreciated.

• I love making things sound broken :)

I'll listen again, through better speakers, for the lower artifacts. I hear a lot of the old Marshall, with tired speakers in the video, too.

Is the MK12 JB much different? (I read the chrome ones used different capacitors than the hammertone boxed ones.) There is no old Marshall in that video, and he is presumably playing a strat.

Since the manufacturer appears to be aiming for early Led Zep, what about using Ruppert's Supro, or the Magic Z1 (both on the Rig Exchange), instead of a Marshall?

• OK - the Bit Shaper is my suggestion for adding harmonics. And, like you said, use a metal slide.

I've posted "60s Fuzz Jubilee" on the Rig Exchange. It could be closer to the youTube clip, but I know it would have to be specifically dialed in to an individual guitar's output and tonal range. I don't have a tele, but the single coils in my Hamer Phantom sound surprisingly like one (considering it is a set neck mahogany 24.75 scale guitar)

I combined the Muffin and a Bit Shaper before the amp, with another Bit Shaper after the amp.

60s Fuzz Jubilee on Soundcloud

BTW - you can turn the noise gate on, if you prefer. I bypassed it, because it sounds more like an old amp with the noise.

• Thanks Paul,
    That's a good point about a Supro. I'll give it all a whirl. And thanks for finding that JB clip. Based on that, I'd say the Chrome Bender is very similar. Just want to say I appreciate everybody's input. This is such a great group of people.

• it appears he's just playing through a 2 watt plexi... has a 6.5" speaker in it.. and that's what it sounds like... a 6" speaker being driven hard on it voice coil throw.. sounds cool. profile a mini plexi with an overdrive in front of your choice!

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Duke, how did find this out? It makes perfect sense. A small speaker would overdrive so hard it would add harmonics to the already distorted pedal sound. Thanks for this.

Paul, you mentioned a mini cab profile. I searched the factory rigs but couldn't find it. Any suggestions?

• Duke, how did find this out? It makes perfect sense.

It was simple deduction, Dr. Watson... I was listening to the other stomps in his video chain (they all sound fantastic and mesmerizing to the trained ear, you see..) ... and behold... a 2 watt mini plexi!! It was one of those.... those... well.. I immediately went to eBay to find one! and now... so many monsters with so little time!!! :thumbup:

Gettin' funky up in here..