Posts by nightlight

Plug in boutique has some decent sales, Softubes and Waves too.

I may or may not pick up another EQ from UAD instead of a synth, since I already have Halion and want to get Omnisphere (which is never on sale apparently). Probably the Sonnox Oxford one.

Holy cow, it's Christmas! I was looking for a Toontrack sale on their SDX expansions, but I think I missed it. So then I thought let me check out some BFD expansions.

Was trawling JRRShop and then thought I'd go to their website and see some demos and things. Got there, and I was informed that now that InMusic (which owns MAudio, Akai, Alesis, Denon and Headrush, among other products), I should migrate my account to their new website for BFD, which is no longer associated with FXPansion.

That would normally be a hoo-ha moment, but they are offering a free expansion pack if you migrate, so I did! Got the Oblivion expansion for nothing, so I am very happy that I saved a few bucks.

Not sure where InMusic is going to take the product, but they've already got a new update out, so keeping my fingers crossed they do a good job.

Think I'll spend that saved cash on an FXPansion synth, they have a sale on too.

Thought this would be of use to anyone looking for good deals. I saw two today:

1) Steinberg: They've got 40% off on Cubase and upgrades. Plus, if you buy Cubase Artist, you get upgraded to Pro.

2) Sonarworks: They've got a 30% off sale on their room treatment software. I can highly recommend this software if you struggle with a sub-par room.

Anyone else have any leads?

So I had some free time and was just experimenting with... chainsaw tones. I really didn't have a frame of reference other than some YouTube videos I listened to.

Here's the recording. Warning, it is very loud, so lower your speaker volume/headphone volume.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I tried two variations of the tone, one very raw and aggressive to the point of being unlistenable and the other which was more polished and smooth. They didn't play together very well when I panned them left and right and played some Grave riff, but that was expected.

Do note, I am currently at a location where I don't have access to a proper DAW and the net connection is very poor, so I haven't had a chance to download Cubase yet. This was made with GarageBand. So basically, zero EQing or tweaking.

Awesome_Elvis  BayouTexan

I can make some new Kemper profiles ( I can not promise and it will take some time - I am busy atm :rolleyes:). I have a Peavey Rage solid state amp with a speaker out mod to hook up some bigger cabs. I can push it with my original HM-2 made in Japan. I can also dial in the cab part using Ugritone TRVE Cab with SweDeath IR. Maybe the result will be close enough to have fun with it :)

That would be swell. If you can put together a good profile, I can basically A/B easily with my Kemper and try to nail the tone using one of my free profiles.

I'll also try and learn an Entombed song so I can put together a mix to demo the tone in the meantime.

Don't have an HM2, but I used to get a whole variety of buzzsaw tones back in the day. Should be fun.

Given that you say you can't cop the tone exactly with an HM-2 in your hands, it might be an exercise in futility though.

I've always associated that tone with an over the top fizz and hiss. After all, all the controls on the pedal are dimed. In that regard, you may not even be able to profile it, because the Kemper will tell you there is too much noise.

This is another Swedish band that had a similar tone, Grave.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

umm ok, I guess?

You can drag a horse to water. 10-to-one any "proof" you provide will be shot down by the guy who believes his answer is gospel.

It's basically a heavily distorted sound. Awful in the room, but very cutting in a mix. You'll get tonnes of feedback and squealing, so a noise gate is necessary.

On "Left Hand Path", from which the sound originated:

Entombed used Ibanez X-series guitars with EMG pickups into a Peavey Studio Pro 40W Combo Amp. Two guitars using HM-2’s were double tracked as such and panned left and right, while a third guitar using a Boss DS-1 was fully centered within the soundstage - to overall produce that textural wall of sound. The Peavey Studio Pro Amp was ’busted’ shortly after the completion of the recording, meaning that Entombed used a Peavey Bandit for their remaining albums - while preserving the arrangement of the other core tone-shaping elements.

I should be able to record something from next week, will try and create a profile to share.

Not saying this as gospel, but I think powering a device using the USB on your Kemper might not be desirable. Could DonPetersen confirm that?

For those not in the know, Chinbangin' is the new headbanging style that all the young dudes are into nowadays. This is my ode to them.

External Content www.instagram.com

I got some new gear! I was looking to build up my home studio, so I picked up a couple of used DAW controllers.

Euphonix MC Mix

Steinberg CC121

As you can see, one is minty, the other is greasy (but cleaned up nicely).

I think with the Console 1 I picked up, I should be good when it comes to mixing my projects in a more intuitive way.

I'm wondering if there's some setting I am unaware of, but I haven't changed anything on my profiler.

When I start up my profiler and switch to browse or performance mode, none of the four LED rings below the screen light up.

At first I thought they were broken, but when I switch into system mode, all of the LEDs light up and none of them are dead.

Switch back to browse or profile and there are no LED lights.

Not sure what the problem is. Is there some setting I have missed?

Hey. I am also getting electric noises on my Kemper now, so I wanted to raise the alert.

Please listen to this recording.

External Content soundcloud.com

I normally don't have any issues with my Kemper and I am a user since 2013. This is extremely weird.

Can anyone help? ckemper  DonPetersen  Kemper Support #1

It is totally strange. I had to stop playing tonight on account of this tonight. Wasn't happening till recently. I'm on an iMac, i9, 64gb ram, some graphics card and an older Kemper OS, I think the last main revision.

It's not just on recordings as well. I can hear it when I try to jam.

Congratulations, Ingolf !

Big question: powered Kemper into unpowered Kabinet vs outputs into powered Kabinet. Which do you prefer? Which route would you suggest if I can only get one Kabinet, if price isn't a consideration?

I've been watching a few videos of the QC, the Kemper and the Axe FXIII. All the tech sounds remarkable nowadays, that's for sure.

I'm guessing you could go with any of these devices and it will be awesome. Which is the best? I'm sure you could have three guys with three different devices and each one will say his is the best.

In that sense, I doubt we will get any objective feedback on this thread anymore than we would if we watched youtube videos.

For me, I'll hold on to the Kemper for now, since what I like most about it is that it is a mature platform and sounds really good. There's an editor, there are good FX and the tones are as good as any of the other Top 3 devices.

I mean, sure, you can nitpick about whether the Kemper or QC is more accurate, but the Kemper sounds good, I really doubt anyone who claims that it is inferior is speaking with any objectivity.

After all, we've seen this time and again with any and every new product. People like what they spent money for, especially the newer stuff that just came in.