Posts by rmesic

This is pretty basic, I expect many users already know...

Use a looper pedal in front of the Kemper - play a riff and a couple chords and let it loop.

Go to Rig Manager and mouse through your rigs so you can audition the ones you want to keep in the Kemper itself.

This is also a good reason to have wiring to move a looper from the end of a pedalboard to the beginning - let it loop so you can concentrate on dialing in settings and getting levels right.

Hope this helps someone.

- Ron

Hi Group:

Had my Profiler rack for years now, it used to be flaming stellar but I fear I may have nudged a setting or something.

Now it's sounding pretty flat and muddied - nowhere near as good as it used to.

Using Yamaha DXR-10's and nothing else for the moment - trying to cut out any other variables.

Still using the Ernie Ball white coily cord of doom, which I understand may be a little dampening but it hasn't changed either.

When using powered monitors - do you set the volume on the monitors in the middle, full up, somewhere lower? Wondering if there's a level problem somewhere in my (now very short) audio chain? I've heard nothing but good things about the Yamaha monitors. I don't recall changing anything on them except the volume knob position. (Had them at the center detent, just tried them at the 9:00 position to see if it helped - it didn't.)

Seriously - I ought to know better, but if y'all have a suggestion of an obvious place to check please let me know.

Thinking perhaps it's time to just blank the whole thing with a factory reset and take it from there.

Thoughts?

Best,

Ron

Mimiq in the loop sends the doubled tracks into the delays and reverb (or other stereo effects) as opposed to pushing reverb and delays into the doubler.

Also - Kemper was kind enough to give me a control over the loop, so I can engage / disengage it programmatically from the patch or foot controller.

Of course Kemper could develop algorithms to do every TC TonePrint, Strymon, Eventide, Lexicon... it's just a matter of being worth developing and having the DSP available.

I was talking with Tore from TC Saturday at Sweetwater and mentioned how I'm using the Mimiq in the loop with the Kemper and how a single rack space "TonePrint host" would be a really nifty addition to the effects loop. Something that the Kemper's MIDI out might drive coordinated patch changes... so your stereo quadrupler effect comes on for the Crazy Train solo patch.

Saw another thread here talking about tape saturation - maybe not so big of a deal playing in a bar, but if you are trying to get the sound of '70's Prog Rock... have to say I was pretty impressed by the drive section of the Strymon Deco.

So - given that:
    1) We (at least I) are an impatient bunch
    2) Some of us always want to push the boundaries, including how much DSP you can utilize at once
    3) I don't think it's financially feasible for Kemper to develop stomps for everything - and probably don't have the DSP to do full dedicated reverbs as per high end gear

What would you want to see in an outboard "companion" unit to your Kemper?

Hive Mind:

I just upgraded from my Kustom PA with 300 watts and 2 X 6.5" speakers per side (with tweeters) to a pair of Yamaha DXR 10's.

Now my tone is "wonky"... I'm wondering if there is advice / best practices out there for getting the most out of these.

Old system had channel EQ and a graphic I couldn't kill - everything set flat, but it was there. New system uses a line mixer with no EQ - at present the path is Guitar -> couple pedals -> Kemper -> BBE -> Line Mixer -> DXR 10's.

I have the monitors set to the detent on the line in volume control (about halfway).

Maybe I chose profiles that sounded good on the old set up and need to find different ones for the new? I don't recall doing any global settings tweaking for the old PA.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Anyone else out there have trouble adjusting to different speakers?

Planning on getting a distribution box so that the synth-y stuff (including the new EHX Synth9) can bypass the Kemper going straight to the mixer.

Best,

Ron

Even with another jack plugged in, you can't get just effect out of the "wet" output when "off".

I'm asking more about the distribution of guitar signal to multiple places than the issue of controlling it once it's there... sure, that's a problem too, but I have a mixer for that.

Can't use the Kemper's returns because they are already taken by the stereo effects loop... but good idea.

Maybe... add those gizmos into the stereo loop itself... will have to play with some settings...

Hive mind:

How do you manage / integrate other "stuff" that doesn't need to go through the Kemper into your rig? I really don't want my fake Hammond B3 going through a Marshall for the most part.

Initially I used a pan pedal, one side to Kemper, other side to C9 into Key9 into PA. This worked, but I don't like having another passive volume in the way of my signal to the Kemper and the other chain was a tap-dance thing.

Debating maybe getting one of those MIDI capable loopers - but not sure how best to manage just yet.

Hoping someone out there has already solved this problem!

I did just order a spiffy Samson line mixer - one unit rackmount, lots of channels, stereo, 4 buss (if you count the solo / mute headphone out)... Pretty groovy for two bills.

Some of the sparkle might be related to cable capacitance - if running a longer cable. Still - unusual to hear this for a pedal between Kemper and amp. Would have been expected if you had the buffer / boost in front of the Kemper, though.

I suspect the secret sauce going on in your case has everything to do with the interaction between the boost pedal and your amp.
    I put a Klon clone, "on" but with gain at minimum (so, technically clean) and treble set to unity in front of a Boogie. Amp sounded just fine before, but it was astounding how much better it sounded with that extra buffer and whatever else that circuit was doing. Maybe related to loading the amp input differently.

If you haven't tried it already, I strongly recommend you put a BBE on the Kemper outputs and see if you like that. (Mine is never off...)
    See if you like the Echoplex preamp in front of the Kemper, too.

The Kemper LOVES the DOD Carcosa Fuzz. Fed it with a little overdrive and had to play for hours... couldn't put it down with that tone.

Had a nice MBritt profile with a cleanish Plexi to start.

Key has been the BBE - amazing to my ears.
    Have a Lexicon Vortex in the loop now with some pedals in front - have a Mooer Slow Engine - very nice, especially for the money. Also got a small size Electric Mistress clone for that "somewhere between phase and flange" effect and the "filter" stopping the LFO. Debating how badly I want a phaser with a stop-able LFO at the moment. It's nifty for like one song, but I don't know if I use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Have a Line6 M13 in front, but haven't used it much lately - trying to decide how that will fit into the mix in the future.

Lately looking at some doubletrack effects that I've been unsuccessful at creating with the Kemper options thusfar.

Hoping someone sells a profile set of the Maxon elements series soon (and not just low gain settings...)

Really trying to decide what parts stay in the studio and what goes on the road...

Ordered a "cruncher" clone of an MI overdrive specifically to feed dirt to the ZeroPoint flanger. Wonderfully trippy flanger, that.

What I _really_ want is a Strymon version of an M13... or something that another crazy effect is just a matter of editing settings and blocks. Would love it if outside vendors could market effect algorithms the way others sell profiles..

Something like an actual old-school console or perhaps the JHS Colorbox as a gain / eq / distortion.

Speaking of distortion - perhaps a combined overdrive & compression effect.