Posts by rmesic

I was just thinking about the Wah settings where folks here have basically re-created classic wah's just by choosing parameters.
    Then I was thinking about filters and remembered the super-groovy "contour" control on some old Crate amps. One knob, all sorts of EQ. Remembered my TriAxis' "Dynamic Voice" control which was basically a five band EQ with a variety of shapes ending at the "Death Metal" V-notch.

I know we have lots of EQ capability, but not so much a one-knob option. I suspect the morph feature can do this at least with the front panel knobs - hope it will work with the Studio and Graphic EQ's too.
    Back in the day I had a CC Pedal assigned to my Alesis Quadraverb - mid position was flat, heel and toe position was a 10 band EQ comb filter. Fun to play with, maybe not so useful in front of most audiences...

But that lead to thoughts of deeper tweak capabilities of effects - initially distortion, but in general - wouldn't it be cool to have a page in Rig Manager where you could do surgery on the effects? Make a phase-langer or my favorite - an LFO driven Chorus (depth and rate cycle per the LFO.)

Almost as if we took the Amplifier / EQ / Cabinet controls and applied them to gain effects inside the Kemper itself...

Doubt this would be feasible in this generation - but I suspect someday you'll be able to buy a TC Electronic Flanger algorithm and an Eventide Reverb algorithm and run 'em in another device...

I think it was Pete Turley who built an extension box - lined up with the existing Kemper switch profile and switch positions - four more switches.
    Maybe Kemper (or someone aftermarket) could build a similar box that might be physically attached to extend the existing footswitch. That way they won't have to tool up a second unit, and the user gets a couple stomp switches down at the first row...

I have some profiles with lots of hiss, most without - I did a profile on my Boogie TriAxis (bedroom, not studio...) and the dog started barking at something downstairs... Amazing, the profile contained a dog barking in the background. Wish I had saved it - in the moment I thought it was just screwed up, but should have shared that in the forum!

Next time I set up for profiling I'm going to have the drum machine or other noise in the background and see how it comes out.

Thinking about other "crazy" profile techniques - tune a 12 string chromatically, take Piezo out to profiler in, drive the thing with a vibration transducer or a speaker pointed at the back surface. Maybe try one with a box of beads in front of the speaker. Pie plate in front of the speaker... Lots of opportunity for creative lunacy.

BBE is basically a couple of state-variable filters executing a micro phase shift (which acts as time re-alignment). This has been done in a plug-in - and it seriously opens up the Kemper's "feel"... day & night difference.

If it could be done without patent violation, or if it could be licensed... I would love it! Saves me a rack space...

The BBE is not coming out of the signal path...

There are lots of other devices out there that can greatly enhance the overall capabilities of the Kemper. Between my Line6 M13 and other gizmos I can get most of the sounds I want... still need a "center channel" amp until Kemper can give me dual profiles.

To the point - if there was a menu selection for controlling the Line6 or the Eventide H9 or a rackmount effect like my Lexicon Vortex... basically use the MIDI menu to add features from the looped device as FX units or unit groups in the Kemper (as a master controller.)

Example - select M13 in a MIDI menu. Most preferred: four new effects show up as M13-a, M13-b, M13-c and M13-d. Each effect's parameters can select parameters available on the M13 itself.
    Less preferred: Just send pre-mapped scene and effect selection change signal.
    Bonus: Enable MIDI CC pass through.

Then add others - Intellifex, REV-7, SPX-90, Eventide stuff, maybe even (gasp) AX-8 or Matrix.

(I think the videos show Matrix has very good stomp box models, but doesn't match the Kemper on amp sounds. LOVE the parallel path capability, though. I think Kemper can do parallel stuff too - need to read the manual a little deeper.)

Re-reading this post - I think I could have been less wordy, but I'm having some issues tonight... Sorry

My Line6 M13 can clock sync sweeping effects... I would love it if all of the craziness in my Line6 were available in the Kemper.

That, and I'd love love love it if we could plug profiled overdrives in as an effect.

Sure, you could buy another Kemper...

I'd like a reverse playback with on/off selection of the live play --
    Press button, begin recording while sound goes through as normal with "on" and muted out with "off".
    Release button, unit plays back recorded bit backwards.

Imagine - hold button, play ascending scale, release button scale plays backwards descending... tricks like that.

Maybe enable the reversed playback to loop as an option, too.

Hi Group:

Just got the foot controller, picked up 4 inexpensive CV pedals (M-Audio from Sweetwater) - so with the one I was using plugged directly into the rack unit I now have five pedals, an up/down patch switch and the foot controller board. I see how to assign Volume, Wah and Pitch. Only thing I could use the 4th or 5th pedal for was another copy of Volume, Wah or Pitch or the "Monitor Volume" which is not useful for someone not using a Monitor output.

Am I missing something, or is the software catching up with the hardware later? (I just presumed I could assign CV controllers to anything... maybe I'll have to look into midi-connecting to other processors.)

Best,

Ron

Ok, that was odd. After importing a saved backup, got pedals re-set, somehow the pedal changed from Wah to Volume without me telling it to... then after the re-set the two button switch flip-flopped it's settings...

All's well now. Seems I gotta buy that foot board and a few more control pedals, eh?

Hi:

Yesterday the expression / volume pedal worked as expected - today, after doing nothing but powering down and back up the pedal does not work.

I went into the pedal menu and watched the value change as I moved the pedal.

I recalibrated - no joy.

I updated OS to most current - no joy.

It looks like the Kemper is "seeing" the pedal data - but isn't doing anything with it.

Any thoughts?

Ron

Grr...

User error.

Selecting a Wah to add to a profile using the right knob works... selecting from the left knob - you get a default pedal range setting that makes the filter go hypersonic.

It was just a problem with the default Wah settings.

I very much appreciate your assistance - even "master of the obvious" suggestions help double check my troubleshooting.

I'm an engineer and no stranger to computer building, programming and electronics... sometimes I think deeper than the actual problem.

Still - the Kemper is not working like it used to work and it is driving me crazy... I don't use Wah on everything but darn it I want it where I want it when I want it!

Odd. Wah worked normally in one patch but does the improper silent at toe trick when I try to add a wah to a different profile.

Did the re-initialize, no joy. Didn't expect that to be an issue since the pedal works on other things like volume or pitch.