Posts by orko

Hi; Axe-FX user here. I've been thinking of getting a Kemper (primarily for amp sounds). I don't want to lose the flexibility of the Fractal, and until the Kemper proves itself equally capable on the FX front, I would probably want to continue using the Fractal for FX. I wonder whether there are any Kemper users here who also use both. How do you hook up and route the units, and have you found that the Axe was worth hanging onto? My cab is an Atomic CLR FRFR. I am principally interested in live performance setups but I also do some home recording.

Thanks.

As a long time Axe fx user, first ultra and now axe fx 2 fw16, I still like to use some of the many effects in the Axe fx even after discovering the kemper that covers most effects i'd ever use. Amps and cab sound and feel like my real amps is most important to me so I use the kemper for that, effects are kinda secondary.
    I think the effects in the kemper and axe fx are excellent and I do prefer some of the effects in the kemper, like the wah, compressor, noisegate, pitch, transpose, space reverb, rotary. Also some of the kempers unique effects like formant and pure tuning are outstanding. I like the many drives stomps and reverb & delay types in the axe fx, although I always prefer real drive stomps and plugins for that. My pedal board and hardware stuff isn't going anywhere since no digital box can contain all goodness available.

The kemper and axe can work excellent together, although most I know and most who post here already have sold their axe fx after comparing them since the amp and cab sound and feel true to the source comes first for most. Being able to use profiling to capture the sound and feel from the original amp rig is to me a very big step in the right direction compared to amp modeling and static IR. That's also a big reason why so many bands, studios and producers are using it now, having their amp rigs saved and ready to use.

A video using both kemper and axe fx found on youtube. This is the Leroy Miller NoManBand using the Kemper for guitar and cab and Axe for loop. He previously used only the axe fx. First a setup walk through then the song starts at 11 min.

[YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

Hi Guys,
    I'm Curious to know who here is using an Axe Fx 2 or the Kemper Profiling amp live,
    From Clips and reviews both units sound great but usability live isn't something often discussed from what I can tell.

Welcome to the forum. Since this is the Kemper forum I'm sure you'll find the vast majority here using kempers. I think I've seen over 50 users here selling their axe fx units to get a kemper after comparing them. Both units perform great live! Plenty of foot controllers to choose from.

There are several threads on this forum about live setup with the kemper if you search around.
    From this thread is also a long list of producers and bands with links to live setups etc. Kemper Amps Artists

Bands / Artists using the Kemper Profiling Amp.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/boa…p?p=17025104#post17025104

Producers using the Kemper Profiler Amp.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/boa…p?p=17025104#post17025104

Yes I only used the 2 MB size as an example to compare how many profiles it can hold.
    Pretty much any lower sized USB stick available today will be more than enough for any profile needs.
    Users don't need to spend more money on big 4,8,12 GB sticks. However I would go for well known brands that have a good reputation when buying a USB stick.

I often see threads and posts here and on other forums about what USB stick memory size is needed for the kemper profiles.
    Like this recent thread on thegearpage
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1384527
    I haven't found any info about USB size in the kemper manual (sorry if I missed it) so it might be a good idea to include this information in some places to reduce further threads and questions about this. (yes some will never read manuals anyway so questions will still come ^^ )

So if I remeber correct, the Kemper can use max 3 GB of a USB stick.
    Any larger USB stick memory size (like 4,8,64 GB) will be formatted down to 3 GB.
    Any smaller USB stick memory size than 3 GB will remain unchanged after being formatted. (1 GB will be 1 GB)

And some though info about USB stick memory size needs for profiles.
    (a single profile is only 4 kB. I hope I get the numbers right here)

USB memory stick size and nr of profiles it can hold:
    2 MB = 512 profiles.
    200 MB = 51200 profiles.
    2 GB = 512000 profiles.

So the majority of small sized usb stick will be more than enough for kemper profiles, and users can save some money too by not buying larger and more expensive usb sticks.
    :)

Thanks for the links, a fun read. The first link "Grammy's Fractal Tuner Fail" is now deleted and can't even be found in web cache. Unlike before they now use "Robots exclusion standard" or something on the gear page that makes it impossible to find deleted threads, to censor what is written. Can any web wizard here find that thread cache??! I even tried waybackmachine and site: search.
    Metallica is not a smart marketing point for fractal audio since it sounds so bad when they perform and many complain.
    The censorship on both the gear page and fractal audio axe fx forum is embarrasing, and Scott plays a big role on both those forums.

Here is another deleted 11 page thread on the gear page where users disliked Cliff for bashing competition and Scott for protecting him again. Since it was not good publicity for fractal audio they decided to censor and delete the thread and punish users who complained.
    Are The DSP Wars Over? - TGP thread copy, 2012 October 29 (open urls in firefox)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?85zen4oowivu7qm

Locking a thread can sometimes be fair, but not deleting threads. That is what corrupt countries do.
    Long live censor free gear forums where members are not silenced :thumbup:

Yes, you can use ozone and put it in the kemper profiling chain and do it. Ozone is also prefered to use for capturing the eq of a recorded track since it's much more accurate that the axe fx eq match. The sound is not very spot on in the video link.
    Acoustic guitars sounds beautiful through the kemper and I can't get those good sounds when I play the axe fx 2.

Cliff with the axe does the same thing because he too gets defensive about his products. However, all you are trying to do is help.

dmbandtimmy I'm a user of both units and both Cliff and Christoph are very passionate about their creations but there are big differences in their business ethics. What is important to know is that Cliff, unlike any company CEO, use illegal FUD marketing tactics and also make up actual lies about a competing product on his forum. Look up all those threads and posts.
    Any user who tries to expose cliff and quote him or question his lies on TGP or FAS forum will be censored, deleted and banned. same moderator on FAS and TGP. Thankfully this forum and most other gear forums are censor free in these matters and we can speak about these things. Gear users will always argue that their product is better, but when a company owner do this to other brands it's a very serious matter and companies do get in legal trouble for such behaviour.
    FUD = Fear, uncertainty and doubt.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

Btw, I can recommend watching Mauritzio70's U2 videos and kemper profiles, they are very nice!!
    U2 and The EDGE tone with the KEMPER ????? YES!!! ... it's REALLY possible!!!!!!!

That's why people on the FAS forum asked for something like profiling (Cliff bashed it at first, but after that he had to implement something similar).

Since tone matching has been available for musicians at least 15 years or more it's interesting to see how Fractal is trying to market tone matching as their own new invention and trying hard to get users to think that it's the same thing as profiling, which of course it isn't.
    Tone matching can only copy an eq curve from the source, no dynamics at all. Profiling copies all dynamics like gain, distortion, tube compression, attack, and eq from the source. No other product on the market can do that.

Many years ago some axe fx owners who used tone matching in their DAW requested this feature by fractal. This was long before the kemper or profiling was released. It took fractal several years to implement tone match eq copy, and when the kemper profiling was released before it was implemented Cliff's frustration was seen in so many posts on the forums. Thousands of users wanted the ax fx to have this new profiling technology and the pressure was high on fractal. So Cliff chose to market it as "our own profiling" and he claims that profiling is 99% tone match and is inferior in so many ways. Looking at the fas forum and elsewhere some users actually believe this false marketing. And yes Cliff still bash the kemper trying hard to make users stay away from it. It's a bit sad to see how far a man can go trying to gain market share, but it's also good comedy material.

Dmbandtimmy, I ask myself why can't the axe fx 2 have profiling or sound or feel as good as the kemper, and have other features.
    I'd say that the biggest reasons so many prefer the kemper is that it really shines in some very important areas: Sound and dynamics, profiling technology, its easy to use. If you look at how popular the kemper has become by bands and producers and why many sell their axe fx 2 to get one its because it has offered many features that other products don't have. It doesn't change the sound after firmware updates like the Axe and loading new profiles or firmware via a usb stick without having a computer near is very handy for me too.

All digital gear have compromises and if some extra effects are needed there are plenty of pedals or external gear that will do a good job. I always like some pedals no matter what I use. I think the kemper team have several effects ideas that will be released.
    There's already editor/librarians/renamer software we can use, until the official one is released. Give one of those a try.
    I don't know anyone of my studio friends, or me, that use built in USB connection. A dedicated soundcard is one of the cornerstones in a home or pro studio and it offers so much more than built in usb. I never used the usb with pods or Axe fx 2, I just connect it to the studio sound card. A sound card is a seriosly good investment.

I wish that someone would come out and say hey, we are in the process of designing one, here are the features…relax. But again I understand the marketing stratagy and the need for in-depth research, development and testing. So, I will jet sit back relax and play on……

They have confirmed a kemper librarian and rig editor is coming and they also decided not to make any release deadlines for the same reasons most companies don't give such info away. By looking at their Access Virus they know how to do great software so I think it's gonna be good when it comes out.

There's already a few kemper software renamers and a midi controller that we can use while waitng for the official one.
    This software work as a kemper midi editor and renamer.
    http://www.evergladesaudio.com…control-pre-beta-released
    Then there are other kemper tag editors here in the wikpa.org
    http://www.wikpa.org/Utilities

C.Kemper quote, Monday, May 27th 2013, 5:32pm
    Thread: Editor pétition.
    "We are working on a librarian and rig editor for an optimum admistration of rigs and text editing.
    No release date yet."

C.Kemper quote, Sunday, June 9th 2013, 3:53am
    Thread: Eight Months And Counting. So, Where's The Rig Manager?
    "We are aware that a number of users urgently want the Performance Mode to have a complete product. By whatever reason the word librarian is not printed on the panel, This could be one reason why you will see the Performance Mode earlier than a Librarian, even if I consider a librarian to be much more important. The librarian will still take a while. We are planning an app for PC and Mac. It's a pain jn the as to create apps that have a certain standard.
    Todays operating systems make it very difficult to support easy drag and drop actions etc. There are little synergies between Mac and PC. We do not have three or five guys working on this project, as we do not address a 100.000 user base and do not charge a fee for the software. See how long competiting projects take. The suffer from identical problems.
    It's a special business. Be patient."

Here is another video with Michael Wagener talking about how he use the kemper profiling amp.
    Some good interesting info here.

[YOUTUBE]

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

I agree with the video part (6 min) where Wagener says long time modeler players often can forget how to play a real tube amp.
    With the kemper that dynamic feel is profiled from the real amp and that is pretty amazing.

Here.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/boa…read.php?t=1351667&page=2

I'm just as surprised as will_Chen when Will posted this on page 1 in this thread; "Wait a second...you the same guy from TGP. Wow... "
    I can't take this guy seriously when he repeatedly spam posts these short snarky responses on TGP in numerous modeling threads for a long time about how inferior everything else is. Reminds me of a cult member on a mission. The Pod hd threads on TGP are also filled with his posts like this and it's interesting why the moderators on TGP let him keep doing it.

I agree , give us a peak , a glimpse .... ask us what features we'd like!!!! The rig management projects, i'm certain is forgotten and put wayside, it's not something they are working on everyday !!! and to link us to the thread where CK talks about it, well that's been over 13months !!!! It's not like it will make sell more units for them so I guess there is no $$$ in it for them at this point to put their time in something that won't really give them $$$ !!!! But I'd even be willing to pay for one if that's what it would take as i'm sure others would too !!!!

You have mentioned before that you don't read this forum so often so you might have missed information that leads to further frustration.
    They have confirmed a librarian and rig editor is coming so you have to wait just like all of us other users. As we've seen from history it's 100% logical for companies not to give deadlines. I have no problems at all with a "release when ready" approach and by looking at their Access Virus they know how to do great software.

C.Kemper quote, Monday, May 27th 2013, 5:32pm
    Editor pétition.
    "We are working on a librarian and rig editor for an optimum admistration of rigs and text editing.
    No release date yet.
    "

C.Kemper quote, Sunday, June 9th 2013, 3:53am
    Eight Months And Counting. So, Where's The Rig Manager?
    "We are aware that a number of users urgently want the Performance Mode to have a complete product. By whatever reason the word librarian is not printed on the panel, This could be one reason why you will see the Performance Mode earlier than a Librarian, even if I consider a librarian to be much more important. The librarian will still take a while. We are planning an app for PC and Mac. It's a pain jn the as to create apps that have a certain standard.
    Todays operating systems make it very difficult to support easy drag and drop actions etc. There are little synergies between Mac and PC. We do not have three or five guys working on this project, as we do not address a 100.000 user base and do not charge a fee for the software. See how long competiting projects take. The suffer from identical problems.
    It's a special business. Be patient.
    "

There's already a few kemper software renamers and a midi controller that we can use while waitng for the official one.

I've found music videos and clips of many genres posted in the wikpa.org
    http://www.wikpa.org/Enjoy_it

Some jazzy white christmas

[YOUTUBE]
    [/YOUTUBE]

Mr. sandman jazz

[YOUTUBE]
    [/YOUTUBE]

We are working on a librarian and rig editor for an optimum admistration of rigs and text editing.
    No release date yet.

I'm sure the kemper editor and librarian results will be great when it's ready and developed, like the Access virus series have.
    I also have full understanding not giving a deadline as we've seen what happens when companies do and some users go berzerk if something happens.

A reminder to those who don't read this forum so much is that there are already a few kemper software renamers and a midi controller that we can use.

They have confirmed that a librarian and other features are being worked on.
    There are plenty of examples showing that it's not wise for a company to give a release date. We kemper players will eventually get it in one of the frequent updates. In the meantime there are at least two good softwares for renaming and editing found on this forum that we can use with the kemper. :)

Hmm ... better sound, more harmonic overtones. All the music and movie industry wants at least 48Khz. You can not only produce for a CD today. A 48Khz mix is always better than the same mix with 44.1Khz. And maybe at the end a little more future security, for the time you have invested in the song. :)

The vast majority of music productions are recorded in 44.1 Khz today.
    Golden ears keep failing 48 vs 44 A/B blindtests and most of the biggest producers record music in 44.1.
    Claims that 48 sound better don't hold up to scrutiny, but it's needed for video audio.
    Besides video there are no reasons at all not to record music in 44.1.