Posts by sambrox

timowen's HAWP BE profiles, for me especially the first Merged profile he made. I've tweaked that to death and made a couple of performances going from clean, to breakup, through crunch to dirty and a gain-increased solo profile. It's fantastic. For the clean profile, I dialled some of the mids out of it and got it to sound exactly like my old Marshall 6100 Anniversary head. Great stuff!

I find all of Andy's profiles extremely tweakable, too, especially the Custom Shop packs (LOVE that Rivera!).

Cheese,
    Sam

Here's the link. Dodgy looking mockup! It also still says dual mic preamp in the text, yet shows a single channel I/O on the pics. Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of that at all!
    Originally, the preamp was two independent channels of A/D conversion for the two mic sizes (forgot they promised two, thanks db). It isn't unlikely that they changed the format of VMS, but I still take anything Sweetwater advertises prerelease with a huge pinch of salt after Remotegate :D

Cheese,
    Sam

I think it's still in Beta. All work on new products was stopped while Slate Digital focused on getting VCC and FG-X to work with the new framework, enabling Pro Tools AAX compatibility. FG-X 1.5 (AAX compatible) was moved in to beta a couple of weeks back, but 2.0 is still a couple of months away, so I don't think we'll see VMS until fall at the earliest.
    Edit : the price was announced with the original product : $2000 for the mic, pre and plugin.
    Cheese,
    Sam

I don't necessarily disagree - but if the goal is to make release quality mixes of his own or his band's stuff, then he should also consider putting that money toward getting a professional to mix it for him instead (sorry for speaking over your head, OP ;-))

Definitely! It will save a lot of money and heartache in the short term, but can also be an extremely rewarding experience and help to make you a better songwriter/arranger, when you're having to try to make it all blend and gel yourself :)

Cheese,
    Sam

I think those figures may be suitable for a professional facility - as in making money doing it. 1000 pounds is quite an investment! :)

True, but that's also why I asked what the ambition was. If it's to make 'release quality' mixes, then you can do yourself a favour by levelling the playing field and starting out by hearing the most accurate and detailed audio information and learning to manipulate that until it's comparable with whatever genre you're creating. If the audio you're hearing is inaccuarate and being veiled and skewed by bad room resonances and reflections then you might as well be painting in the dark; you'll never quite know how it's turned out until you take it in to another room and switch the light on - very time consuming and random.
    If the OP is just making music for himself, then none of that matters. If it's sounding good to him in his room, then job done! There are many speakers that'll do that job :)

Cheese,
    Sam

Also check out Slate Digital's upcoming Virtual Microphone System. Should be out this year.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheese,
    Sam

For a speaker to have earned the right to be called 'monitor', it has to have accuracy, transparency and neutrality. In other words, it has to be able to recreate the sound source as closely as possible. There are many speakers in the lower price range that call themselves monitors, but are quite far from being able to do the sound source justice. If you're serious about mixing and want to invest in a tool that you'll be able to use for years to come without the fear of upgrading, then youll be looking at pairs around the £1000 mark, specifically Neumanns KH 120A (the absolute best in that price range). However, a good monitor is only as good as the room you're hearing it in, so add to that room treatment, especially if we're talking a room less than 30m2. Expect to be putting down roughly the same amount for treatment as for speakers. So, I guess it all depends on your ambition. If it's just something you like to play around with every now and again, there are literally hundreds of speakers in the £250-400 bracket that'll do the job. Otherwise I'd advise getting it right first time and save yourself time and money later!

Cheers,
    Sam

That's a really nice guitar. Perhaps you should fool around with a few more profiles before swapping pups, remember, some profiles work with certain pickups more than others.

In fact, I keep thinking I should get a few more guitars so that I can have more flavours with the KPA. Pickups make a huge difference and I think the ones in your new guitar might just be looking for a slightly different tone from the ones you've been using for your SG.

Sage advice. My Starla really doesn't like profiles that sound great on my Tele, with or without the coil tap. However, there are many profiles that I considered to be very average that sound stellar with the PRS.

Cheese,
    Sam

Depends on your pedal board, if you have one. The Mission has jack inputs on the side, whereas the Dunlop has them at the top end. If you don't have a board that's too wide, the Dunlop makes sense, as you can have the Remote and DVP3 up against each other. With the Mission, you need to have room for the jacks protruding from the side.

Cheese,
    Sam

Ahhhhh wait a minute! I know why now, @and44
    It's because I was trying to change the email address in the dialogue window that appears in the Checkout, as it is showing my old email address. I can't order anything until I've worked out how to change the address in my profile, as any files or keys for the X-change will be bounced back, as the one on record no longer exists. Hmmm...

Cheese,
    Sam