Posts by GASbag

In the least if the Forum/ profilers could come up with a consensus on legally acceptable generic ( but recognizable) names , maybe that would take the pressure off and make different amps easier to locate , either commercial or free

It seems Soundside had already started doing some of that. I'm seeing UKGold, Fernder, etc. My first reaction was "that's not very original" but this is a case where it would actually help if sellers clustered around the same names.

Or another way is simply through site searches.

Of course, something so easily circumvented will do nothing for the amp companies. They must be getting absolutely slammed with fewer people buying amps, and used amps hitting the second hand market. But like I said earlier, it's a complex issue. A lot of them (the boutiques) are themselves selling close variants of other companies' designs. And the Kemper is definitely taking the technology and sound-sculpting beyond what traditional amps can do.

I love the design of the Kemper. It's clean, functional design in the German tradition. It also reminds me a bit of an oscilloscope and other lab equipment. I'd love it for critics to post photos of themselves in everyday wardrobe, and of their living rooms, so we can judge their sense of esthetics for ourselves. If the average crowd at a guitar show is any indication... :D

That's what I pay a professional studio profiler to do, and I don't have any problem with that. There are so many variables in the chain anyway, there is no "pure" tone of an amp.

I'm skeptical like those above, but maybe the fact they have the resources of Yamaha behind them means this could be different. Either way, it's purely intellectual interest as I'm good with my Kemper and some external stomp boxes. The only thing that could be better for me compared to a real amp is the interface.

If only your slow slow website was working...

Google Crome is what i use.

Same here. Had to try many times to get the Marshall bundle in my shopping cart and eventually managed to buy that. Now I'm trying to look through the singles but it always directs me to pack 8, even when I cut and paste the address to another pack in my address bar. In general, it's more the exception than the rule that the soundclips work, and when they do usually they stop working after 1 minute. The info windows also rarely load. Usually the website works for the first few minutes on the site, until it decides that's enough for today. I have the problem either in Chrome from a PC or my iPad. AF are my favorite profiles, but that website is a piece of work!

Had some computer problems, so I'll continue here.

So the above was just descriptive of me. What could Andy do to get more of my money? What gets me excited is the idea of exceptional vintage amps, the real gems among them. Or iconic amps like David Gilmour's. I already have what I need, but the CS format for amps like that makes sense to me. Even then at some point I'd get saturated but no doubt I'd stretch my budget for that. Now where's Santana's Abraxas era Fender? :) Are its whereabouts even known?

Lastly, take what you read on forums and what people email you with a grain of salt. Lots of GAS talking on forums, but when it comes to opening their wallets...

Just my two cents. Many of the factors (saturation, clutter) have been mentioned before. I'm a hobbyist and while I'm always curious, all I really want is maybe 10-20 great tones. The interface of all digital solutions, including the Kemper, still sucks compared to a real amp, and I find it a hassle to go through too many profiles. Even auditioning too many at the same time feels like a chore. I also like the idea of being creative with what you have (like most of our old heros), and getting to know it intimately, rather than being like the kid that gets a new toy every day and has an according attention span.

Then there's also the cost. While profiles are dirt cheap compared to buying the real amp, it adds up quickly. When I bought my Kemper, I figured something like 200 dollars is what I'm willing to spend on profiles. For my needs (see above), even that is plenty.

I'm moving apartments this week but as soon as that is over, I'll treat myself to these profiles. Getting to experience actual specimens of classic vintage amps such as this one is why I got a Kemper.