Posts by Tonerider

When going through a pack such as the Lasse Lammert rigs - they have that 'chug' and definition I love - but it might be my low output pickups, but there's something about the tone that sounds too distorted or compressed? if I back off the gain, I lose what makes the amp 'chug' (and 'chug' = HUGE grin on my face) but are there any other boost tips that other metal/hi-gain players use? I'd like to get back some more natural amp/guitar character whilst retaining the great 'chug' palm-mute element...

I will play with the definition / high-shelf and cabinet parameters to tailor the sound - but if anyone has some extra boosting tone tips, It would be great to hear them.

My dist sens is currently on '0' and this barely makes the input light clip orange.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

I've only had my Kemper just over a week, but found myself getting caught up on the following -

Pete T's Bogner Blue profiles - 609 and i5,
    89 Bluesbreaker
    Marko (? apologies if wrong, typing from memory) gulub modded Marshall (aka Big-M in my rig sorting.)

As for today, who knows, I have whittled things down to 144 rigs - and want to refine that further - then go hunting some more tonal gold!

Oh, almost forgot

Vox Ac15
    That Morgan AC20 :P

made me channel my inner Hendrix - I'd forgotten how good it is to get in the 'zone' with a profile - when you can actually produce something that means something rather than just jamming or going through the motions. To be able to connect and play, have the Kemper react like a proper amp is priceless.

A friend of mine came over today - real tube purist, and was blow away by the Kemper. We started a little jam, each of us using one monitor each, one going into the Eleven R, other into Kemper....

What really hit home is how real, authentic, reactive and most of all ALIVE the Kemper sounds. The Eleven sounded ok, but just 'flat' and very 'sterile' compared to the Kemper. Very hard to get feeling and connection between player and instrument across.

There's new things each day that are making me more and more happy with the Kemper and how it sounds - it really is the most significant piece of musical gear since I got my first tube amp (long since sold.) The sheer amount of options and ease of tone tweaking means I can finally sit back and come up with riffs/ideas and enjoy playing again.

One VERY happy Kemper owner. :)

-Tonerider

I'm using KRK VXT4's and they sound absolutely great. I'm running out of the main output jacks into my Eleven Rack - onto a blank patch. I'm only use the main outs and cab/volume controls to get a great sound - my 'Master Volume' is set to zero. If I turn this up, it adds extra distortion and starts to clip the output, making this sound messy.

Depending on you interface, is there any difference between XLR outs, 1/4" jack outs or SPDIF? I run my SPDIF around -6 to -3 to get a good tone also.

Hope you get this sorted, I found the volume setup a little confusing at first - find what works, and lock it down. Good luck!

Hi Lightbox,

It was on -

http://www.wikpa.org/Troublesh…up.2C_Edit.2C_and_Restore

17) Right click, select 7-zip and Add to an archive.
    18) A new 7-zip window will pop-up suggesting name and format of the new archive.
    19) You can leave everything as suggested, but you’ll need to change the file extension in the first row from tar to kpabackup, so that the file name is identical to the name of the original backup archive you stored.

It's from step 17 that I got 'lost' - when you add to archive - I couldn't see any dialogue to ensure no compression was being used...

So, I ended up making a backup of the Kemper - renaming the .kpabackup to .rar - then opening with 7-Zip. I then went into the 'Rigs' folder - deleted all items and replaced with the renamed ones stored on my HD. There was no obivious 'Save' button in 7-zip, so I just hit 'ctrl+s' out of habit and exited the 7-zip file manager.

I then renamed the .rar back to .kpabackup and voila! All imported and working. Rigs and amps in a much more user friendly (to me) order! :)

Hope someone else finds this useful also.

-TR

Hi All,

Hope you can help. I backed up my rigs today and then wanted to rename them so the amp models are in alphabetical order. After re-naming some 200+ rigs following the instructions on Kemper Wiki, I used 7zip to add all the folders to an archive - and changed name to '.kpabackup'.

However, when I go to restore and thus clean up / re-organise it's telling me 'This backup is damaged beyond repair'. Can anyone help??

Two things to mention - in the rig re-naming I have used the following conventions

Artist or song tone matched presets start with prefix '#'.
    Rigs end with '(Ltd)' as this is the guitar I am using for them.
    Fx heavy presets start with 'X$fx'.

Looking at the preset size, they are all between 4-5 bytes.

If anyone can help, I'd be VERY grateful. Would like to get amps into order to a/b better etc.

Many thanks,

-Tonerider

I'm just wondering as I can't seem to find anything like the above on the rig exchange. I've always loved thick, warm, heavy fuzzed/overdriven tones for low tunings. Think bands like Sleep, High on Fire *early*, Aquilonian, YOB etc.

If anyone has any amps that fit with the above sound, and a snapshot of an Emperor cab, I'd LOVE to check this out.

Or if anyone has any other tone suggestions, please share them here...

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Hi Shain,

As a new Kemper user - I'm doing my research into paid for profiles - have bought one from the Amp Factory - but looking for more heavy profiles - and yours certainly sound like they fit the bill. With an item on sale each week, people who bought something the previous week and were impressed might well come back for more - driving up site traffic and exposure - not to mention tone clips which you could use to build up a portfolio of sounds that can be achieved with the profiles.

When people find a great profile that makes them want to play - they enjoy themselves, with a good tone you want to record, with a recording you want to share. Providing people give props to who made the profiles, it can take the form of pretty potent advertising - for free!

One other option would be what was used for profiles - eg - optimised with passive/active pickups - LP/Strat etc - tuned to standard or dropped to B etc.

Hope that makes sense, only other option would be to have a few 'sample' profiles available for download.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Just something that lets you 'lock' the headphone output volume. Hold down 'Lock' and say one of the soft buttons above the display to limit the headphone volume. It's been easy to run away with this, especially when not using a backing track/song to jam to - you can easily crank until your ears aren't happy the next day...

I know we should all be able to simply set it and leave it, but I think it would be an easily implemented and useful feature. Just like AVLS on some mp3 players etc.

Interested to know what others think.

-Tonerider

OK, very interesting - the spacial/fuzz and patches such as 'Sabbath' and Cream/Clapton ones sound like they did. Volume reacts better in cans instead of making my ears bleed with slight adjustments. Only issues now are re-setting clean/dist sens and changing pickup height as had to significantly lower my pu's to stop this clipping input/sounding ugly.

Bridge is 12k , neck 8k - so they shouldn't be driving too hard. Anyone have any more info on this? It's as if an internal gain control was maxed out, or almost as if two waveforms where copied over each other - bumping the volume and putting gain levels too high??

Everything seems to be fine, back to playing with new rigs!

Hi there,

Following some threads I have read with gain and noises - which I feel I may have been experiencing - I did a flash memory format and init - then restored the factory settings....

I initially panicked as no sound was coming out - but the input light was green - turned out my expression pedal was all the way down - so off!

But, volumes seem a LOT quieter across presets. I definately do not need to have my dist sens on -12 now...which is great. Just wondering why volume levels seem quiet? Any ideas please?

Many thanks,

-Tonerider

Edit - Headphone volumes are fine - just main outs seem quiet.....on the Ouput 2/5 tab I have the following checked -

Main Out Link
    Monitor Out Link
    Headphone Link