Posts by Tonerider

Wow - thanks Meambobbo!

Using the Effects Presets with something like an Uberschall clean tone works wonders. They sound great through my studio monitors (KRK VXT4's) and with the neck pu and even the cab turned off give some really lush ambient sounds. Not tried with high gain yet as been re-wiring studio as removed my 11r as soundcard and going to sell it to fund new pu's.

Really appreciate the time you have spent dialling these tones in, and learnt that you can browse the effects block to turn them on - 11months in and the Kemper's still schooling me :)

Many thanks,

-Tonerider

Much appreciated,

I plan on updating to the newest firmware this weekend, and will check your presets out. Will aim to record a few clips also, as fancy some ambient sounds to chill out - pesky life has been far too hectic this week!

Hi All,

Looking at trying a p/u swap in my guitars > so thinking of popping my Bareknuckle Warpig (22K output!) into my EC-1000. Some people say that the 'pig is too dark and bassy with a Lester - but I then point out the LTD is around 1/2" thinner than an LP...

Anyone tried the pu in question with a Kemper? Or got an LP style guitar with one in - interested to hear how it sounds!

Thanks,

-Tonerider

Hi Jim,

I have the Amp Factory SLO, and that sounds pretty sweet. Is quite a lot of extra eq shaping going on I think before and after the amp. Not sure if anywhere else has a more 'raw' profile, depends on what you want.

FWIW - I was using it to get a Matt Pike / High on Fire sound.

Cheers,

Welcome Shred!

I've had my Kemper almost 8 months now, and only just 'clicked' with the setup for optimal clean/dist sens settings - which will effect the levels.

1) select a clean profile - hold down input light, switch to the bridge pu - and play some chords as hard as you would hit the strings when really going for it - and watch the input light. I expect, with blackouts you might need to reduce the clean sens from '0' to stop the input light from clipping. You want a green/amber light for 99% of the time. If it does go over, your ears will tell you more than you eyes.

2) Dist sens - again, you might need to back this off a tad as the duncans are probably rather hot - if the input is not clipping for the OD profiles, then leave it as '0' so the gain staging between the guitar and profile is not effected.

3) Check volumes of stomps, eq, X, Mod and Delay/verb slots - if it's still clipping something must be boosted. Don't forget the cabinet volume in the 'cabinet' soft button. Then, try and set the volume (NOT master volume) which you can then use for other profiles to help balance the tones out.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Hey Andy, hope the new studio space is starting to work out for you - I was up in Norwich/Norfolk for the first time recently, some great scenery to gaze at whilst recording/riffing out would be a nice boost from the stinky carpets and cracked ceilings of many rehearsal/recording rooms I know!

Any new amp profiles in the pipe-line once settled?

I find if the gating is too high - you get the 'meshuggah' effect on single notes - where the gate cuts right after the note and it can be a little artificial - unless that's what you want and the style you are playing.

+1 to viabcroce - quite a few rigs come with definition on 10 - drop this and add some clarity - can either give too much treble, or a half-cocked wah / artificial edge to the distortion. I run my Maxon od808 in front from time to time - but the stomps in the profiler work well when you reduce the gain as you would on a 'real' amp.

Are you able to take the Kemper to a store and a/b some monitors? See how that works out for you -

The only pair I have used since 2008 for all production work and with my Eleven Rack and Kemper are KRK VXT4's - they are my first pair of monitors, which I got for a steal as a place was closing down - so I got the pair for the price of a single monitor!

Some people say KRK's can be bass heavy, which is true of the rokit's but the VXT's sound great for all types of music, and with the profiler also. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Viabcroce,

It was more how the guitar reacted with the amps - I was forever messing with the clean and dist sens settings, and something was missing. After recording some recent tone demos, I was noticing the bridge pu was sounding weak in the bass - all treble and bite - but no 'balls' almost - for want of a word.

So, I just went ahead and cranked it up, down and set it right. The guitar reacts differently to some profiles now - some I didn't like now sound great, others that were good have changed, and for the most part the good profiles I liked still sound great - and I now have a much more balanced sound.

Next step is to check guitar with SPAN eq plugin along with playing with eq in a stomp to remove the mud, but the core tone is THERE - and I couldn't be happier.

Just shows how much the profiler reacts to your guitar and pickups - main issues are pu height and then clean / dist settings. Once that's done - leave 'em! Get learning, playing and enjoy the music. :)

The Penny has dropped!

My guitar is now dialled into the Kemper - the 'elusive' clean and dist sens are all set.

Main issue to getting it to hit the ballpark with other profiles was the clean and dist sens settings, and RAISING the pickups. I'd had them set too low, so the bridge was sounding anaemic and too much treble - no bass punch and 'weight'.

I just followed orders on a clean profile - bridge pickup - and HIT THE STRINGS HARD - backing off the clean sens until we just slightly hit the orange on the output..

All set. Dist sens left on good ol' 0.

So, I just went to town with my ears and screwdriver - started off too high, then down, down until I hit a sweet spot between power and tone

...DAMN!!

That's it, game over man, game over - rigs are sounding like their amps - I'm getting that oomph and low end, with everything else in between :) :)

I've been blown away by the Kemper since I got it some 8 months ago. But, until my guitar was dialled in - it was only hitting 95% - now with that done, I realise what a game-changer this is to the amp world for musicians. Being able to dial up a tone and jam away with your cd collection, create your own amp 'mixes' for a song in performance mode.

Just super, super stoked to get the tonal foundations laid...thanks to all that answered my previous questions, gripes and is this right / is this wrong - I hope I can help further users in the future.

Must.go.play.guitar....*insert huge grin on face*

Tonerider

Wow, thanks for the kind comments - appreciated.

I've done a few more recordings, and with some stack eq, some cabinet eq and reverb getting close to that sound that just makes me want to sit down and play...I'm learning to stack my stomps on my pedal board, a little compression, and USE the volume knobs on the guitar to get the sounds that make me want to make music - happy days!

Much appreciated Ingolf!! :)

It's really interesting how the humble plectrum influences dynamics with these pu's - using dunlop .88 vs the .60 makes a big difference - but very pleased to hear it's sounding like it should. I guess I shouldn't be afraid to tweak to what sounds right, and when using dist/od stomps - drop the amp gain considerably - just like you would with a real amp.

Thanks for listening.

-Tonerider