Posts by Tonerider

Anyone care to share some cab recommendations? I'm going to start 'favouriting' some rigs at the weekend, then trying out some different cabs.

-I have Tills cab pack.
    -And, converted Gods Cab 1.4 to try.

I've always been a fan of 25w greenbacks on the Eleven Rack - just loved the smooth high end and 'warm' sound - even for metal. AFAIK, Machine Head recorded 'Burn My Eyes' with greenback's and that's a pretty darned tasty tone.

But, any recommendations would be great.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Morning All,

First off - apologies for starting a separate thread - but I'd like to ask this question without posting it in my previous headphone one.

First night with the Kemper I was using the headphone out too loud - silly me - but was excited to try all the new tones and it got pretty late so did not want to continue using my monitors. I noticed I had some ringing in both ears the next day (when everything was quiet - not when normal noise levels around me.)

So, when jamming a bit last night - 99% to Lasse Lammerts rig - but this time headphone volume reduced to -34, and in the end -48db. With both of these settings I could hear me hitting the guitar strings through my cans - so not too loud.

I did notice that with all the LL rigs, I was reducing the treble and presence, boosting mids and then going to cabinet , lowering high shift about -0.4 and character to make the cab/tones smoother.

As soon as I switched to a rig called 'Holdsworthy' - BAM! The cab tone / eq match was there - that's what I was after (Tills Recto Cab 065). It also made me realise that the highs on the more metal patches where maybe too boosted for my ears?

This morning, the ringing is still there, but not as bad. With lowered headphone volume, is it possible certain frequencies have done this?

Background -

I have used my ATHM50 cans since 2008 for mastering, mixing, production work and guitar use through the Eleven Rack. In the beginning I recall something similar - and now I know what levels are sensible - but the Kemper is very new to me. Ckemper said himself the headphone amp is VERY loud and I have always tried to look after my hearing, and wish to remain doing so. Especially now I have such a plethora of tonal nirvana in the Kemper!!

So, I'm going to try the following -

SPDIF to 11r - use headphones to monitor volume and check levels - as I previously said, I know my 'goto' spot on the volume here - so will match that to the Kemper headphone out.

Mp3 player in via alt. input - Again, I know my mp3 player inside out - and what volume level I use - so can use this to check also.

Apologies for the wall of text - I'm no scholar when it comes these things.

One last thing, when running the Kemper main outs to my monitors the output volume does not need to be over 0.3 for it to be pretty darned loud for bedroom use. I'm using KRK VXT 4's and they are sitting on vibropads, then a wooden desk around 6" from a wall. Monitor volume is -62.4db.

Edit - should 'headphone link' be checked on the output section?

Main goal is to get optimum sound at a sensible level, set and forget - and get on enjoying / playing / writing guitar!

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Thanks all - I'm certainly going to get the volume as quiet as possible and use a reference track to gauge the levels. Listened to music far too loud when young, and now aim to look after my hearing as much as possible.

Edit - just checked and adjusted the headphone out vol to -33.5db - know it's quiet as can hear me hitting guitar strings outside the cans!!

Apologies if this has been covered, I was unable to check and wanted to post the questions before work, so I might have some tips to try tonight...

I'm primarily running my Kemper with Audio-Technicia ATHM50's and it sounds great. But, I'm aware of ear fatigue after long sessions yesterday, and can't always use my KRK VXT4's to run the main outputs.

My ears are ringing this morning from it being a bit too loud - so if you use headphones, how are they set? I had the master vol either on 1-1.3 max.

I did activate the 'space' parameter - which makes a big difference when playing with cans and no fx. But think I need to set the levels to avoid giving my ears a hard time.

If anyone has any tips or tricks, that would be great.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Morning All,

So, after what seemed like the longest morning ever, my Kemper lunchbox arrived yesterday afternoon. After finding a new plug/lead to use as the box one was bent out of shape - I fired it up and went through the presets -

- The clean and crunch tones have a lot more dynamics and '3D' or 'air' quality to them than the Eleven Rack I used previously.
    - Effects are top notch, and the whole unit seems very intuitive porting across from the Eleven.

-Initially, all the high gain patches sounded very similar, I use Tonerider Rocksong pickups in my LTD EC-1000 (12k bridge, 8k neck - Alnico II's) and it wasn't until I lowered the distortion sens to -12 that I got a lot more dynamics and amp like distortion. To my ears, the dist sens acted like raising the pickup height and perceived to drive the input stage. I got much more pleasing and sit-with-a-massive-grin-on-your-face-playing-guitar tones this way, just using the amp gain or a stomp to boost.

-Later, I imported some Rigs, and was blown away with Fluff's and Lasse's amp packs - Plus the Marshall gulab crunch mod and a few Chris Beaver patches, it's astonishing the tones you can get from this unit.

But, the best factor so far is the amp eq and cab character tones. I spent dozens of HOURS making eq patches on the Eleven to dial out fizz, and shape a pre-amp to how I wanted it. With the Kemper, a few little eq touches go a long way.

I'd happily and easily say this is the best day for my guitar gear and playing since the day I got my first tube amp. The Kemper is certainly the real deal. Hats off to all involved - convert for life here!

-Tonerider

Hi All,

I got my Kemper today - and all is well - but the british 3 pin plug that came in the box had a bent top pin - which meant I had to use a spare kettle lead I have. Now, the Kemper one was fitted with a 5 amp fuse, and this one has a 13 amp fuse - is this a problem?

No issues running it so far - and LOVING the tones! Please can anyone confirm asap - and will hunt out another fuse/cable to avoid any issues.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Morning All,

In the run up to receiving my lunchbox, I'm doing some research into a few tones I have been chasing over the years...one of these is Victor Griffin from Pentagram / Place of Skulls.

What's pretty unique about his tone is that he plays with the tone control rolled right off on the bridge pickup. He then moves it to around 3-4 for solo's, but manages to get such a creamy/warm/perfectly saturated tone.

Here's a few choice examples -

Place of Skulls - 'Song of Solomon' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udsfSqFtyxA

Place of Skulls - 'The Fall' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…e5WQ-0mJ0LLx8IJsaH2_pEC4Y

Now, I think early on in his Pentagram days he used a Marshall, then briefly Sovtek amps - before moving onto the Laney GH100L. He's a Les Paul man, with 498t in the bridge, and super distortion from Dimarzio in the neck.

I play a LTD / ESP EC-1000 with Tonerider Rocksong pickups (alnico 2 mags) and rolling back the tone on my Eleven Rack gets me in the ball-park - say 80% there. I know a *lot* of tone is in the fingers, but there's something like an EQ/cocked wah/Q envelope filter that might be needed to get there....

It's the 'smoothness' of the distortion and simply HUGE sound he gets that grabs me - and has a lot in common with Tony Iommi when it comes to riff style...which is no bad thing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Welcome!

I'm sure you will find what you are after with the high-gain sounds - I'm in the same boat after tweaking an Eleven Rack for the last 3 years - want to spend less time crafting tones, and more time playing. Hope the KPA works out for you and post your initial thoughts when it arrives.

All the best,

-Tonerider

Welcome to 2014 everyone - this seemed like a fitting day to say 'hi' and announce I'm soon to become a proud Kemper Toaster owner...

I've been playing guitar since I was sixteen - which is now almost hitting 19 years *gulp* - done some bands and little live work - then got into production and been using modellers for the last five years. I started off with a POD X3 - which I struggled to get a good tone out of, then stepped up to an Eleven Rack in 2010 - which I have enjoyed using, but never been happy with the tones. It's a great unit, but there is just no 'clarity' like playing a chord through a tube amp - that separation where you can hear all six strings. It's ended up feeling like my guitar 'voice' cannot get through, which meant I spent far more time tweaking tones, than playing, learning and more importantly ENJOYING guitar.

So, some things are for sale, and I'm funding the rest to get a Kemper. I've been watching the product line since it came out - and been blown away with the range of tones, updates and commitments from ckemper and the rest of the team. I'm happy to invest in a product that will continue to be developed - and delivers what I feel is the best value for £ in the current modeller market.

I don't have any amps to profile - so made a 'wish-list' of the ones I've always wanted or owned in the past (Peavey JSX and Orange Rockerverb 100R) and got some profiles to try out. Mainly, I'm just looking forward to finding good tones and working on the different genres I've grown to love over the years. This forum is a great place to learn and share tones, ideas and tips - so I'm looking forward to being part of the Kemper family!

I'll be covering everything from blues, to doom/stoner rock and thrash to electronica such as drum n bass and old school jungle - with a few favourite covers thrown in. Looking forward to being creative again!

All the best for 2014 -

-Tonerider