Posts by Tonerider

Hi All,

I've been obsessing a bit too much about tone, clean and dist sens settings and generally driving myself a bit nuts whilst also getting Man Flu™.

So, in order to try and put these demons to bed - I've recorded a quick clip of me jamming with one of Top Jimi's '68 SuperLead profiles (#3) and would like to get any comments on if it sounds ok -

Clip starts on neck pu with tone rolled all the way off - then comes in - moves to bridge with the tone all off - tone comes up again.

Excuse the clams and sloppy playing - feeling pretty done in - be good to know if people hear anything weird or if all sounds ok.

Guitar is an LTD EC1000 with alnico II pu's - Clean sens is 1.7db and dist sens is 0 - so I just get the input to hit yellow from time to time.

Should mention, gain is on 5.9 on profile - no eq changed and only effect is reverb.

Appreciate peoples comments - and peoples time listening -

Tonerider - 68 SuperLead Jam

Hmmm,

Here in the UK, Kemper non powered is approx £1329 -

To get the Axe Fx II (XL) from an EU retailer (closest one - g66.eu) is £2070 approx.

So, difference 'off the shelf' is already £741.

Let's say s/hand - Kemper is £1100 in great condition, and maybe you could find an Axe II for £1700? Maybe...

That's still asking someone to part with £600....good luck!

Can anyone recommend any great sounding cabs try with my current favourite batch of profiles? I'd like to try any that have the 'amp in the room' feeling or even distance mic'ed ones..

Have seen a few old threads mention Tyler's cab presets - and a great example of a plexi that had the characteristics I'm gunning for - but couldn't find any to d/load - can anyone help?

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Noticeably removed some 'mud' and low-end clutter with my Alnico II pu's - guitar is rather dark - so sounds quite a bit more defined through cans and monitors. Great stuff :)

Morning All,

Just a few questions around aiming to match downloaded (commercial) profiles to their respective sound-clips -

Now, I appreciate I am using a different guitar to what will have been used for profiling - but some profiles are initially sounding WAY too distorted - over compressed and 'mushy' would be a good notion, here's what's happening -

Clean and Dist sens are on '0'.

-Profiles sound the 'worst' with a green scream stomp on - reducing the profiled gain helps a little.
    -The MAIN culprit appears to be the definition setting in the amp block - often this is at 10 or 9+ on quite a few profiles - dialling it back helps match the guitar, which in turn makes the green scream sound a lot less like the 'cocked wah' tone people have mentioned.
    -Same issue can be heard when swapping guitars - main axe is a Ltd EC-1000 with Tonerider Alnico II pu's - second is a custom yammy pacifica with BKP Warpig in the bridge. Alnico II's seem a fair bit brighter on the bridge - but that could be the guitar..

Ltd pu's are around 5-6mm from the strings at the bridge, and to the pu ring on the neck - is it just possible that some profiles simply don't like the tone of my guitar and pu's? I'm a big old school Marshall fan, and been getting some good tones from the Top Jimi tones available, but struggling with Pete's (okstrat) Browneye modded Marshalls...I would have thought with lower output pu's I might have to bump up the gain, not the other way round?

BTW - Pu's inductance is 6.6h - 11.8k bridge and 4.4h - 7.9k - if that has any bearing on things?

Will post a clip to illustrate - I'm not bad-mouthing and profilers - everyone does a killer job - and, I don't have any amps to profile myself - so to an extent take a slight risk when purchasing and d/l profiles.

Does anyone have any other tips for getting guitars to sound more like their tone examples? For some profiles it sounds like the internal gain is almost set too high...

Thanks Michael - that boosting to find the 'fizz' and then cutting sounds pretty useful!

Sorry if post was not clear, I meant I don't own any amps to profile with my main guitar - so I'm asking about profiles to try / cabs to save and any mic combinations to look for. I do like a royer 121 mic, but they can be very dark - which does not always go to well with my LTC EC-1000 with alnico II pu's.

Hi All,

I'm finally making progress with my tones - getting creative and being able to play with feel again. For a long time I've been hiding behind a large amount of distortion, different tunings and playing without paying attention to myself. Now, I've lowered the gain, dropped the pu height and getting back to basics.

One thing I LOVE is a smooth high gain tone. So, I've been using some different cabs (blackstar 2x12) with profiles. This sounds smoother, and gives a bit more 'amp in the room' feel. But I'd love some pre/post eq tips, other cab recommendations and good mics to look at for a smooth, off-axis tone. Warm, with just a bit of bite.

Not owning any amps, I've been trying lots of combinations - so if any other users know of any golden tips - please share!

Thanks,

-Tonerider

First off - apologies if this is not the right area for my glowing praise!

So, I've had my Kemper since January...and I love it. It's made me realise what amp/cab/mic characteristics I love in a tone. But, having no amps of my own to profile...it can be hit and miss getting this right. I've tried quite a few commercial profiles - and enjoyed them - but without the 'X' ingredient.

I like a warm, full sound with not too much treble or 'fizz'. I often reach for the Cab parameters to tame highs, use eq before or after - or swap the eq on an amp to pre to get things working right for my ear. I've gotten down to only 60 profiles on my Kemper - and want to whittle this down further - to a core bunch that I use for recording and jamming/gigs. Less is more....

So, I decide to try the Soundside.de profiles. Yes, they are pricey - but after reading some reviews/threads and videos. I take the plunge....

I bagged the following -

Diezel VH4 pack
    Elmwood 60
    Rock Pack (aka Brown Eye tone)

I'm floored. No cab eq needed. Sounds freaking awesome with my LTD EC-1000 and alnico II pu's. Sweet as hell. Rich, warm and finally the 'amp in the room' feel. Wow. It's illustrated that the magic 'X' is in the mic and cab elements. That's what hit me auditioning these profiles. I was pretty underwhelmed by the stock profiles, then found some great free ones - Fastredponycar's profiles are KILLER. Now with a few TAF and Armin's Soundside profiles - I'm in tone nirvana....

So, the whole point is to sat a BIG Thank-you to Armin and anyone else @ Soundside for the time, effort and profiles. Yes, they are pricey - but - but - but - the difference for ME is palpable. I'm a happy riff-monster - but tone and feel snob. These. have. nailed. it.

Are there any plans for further high gain amps Armin? I'd love a 5153 pack (yes there are lots already) or some more 'different' stuff such as the Verellen Meat Smoke and a few others. Not my place to beg - but I'm a VERY happy Kemper owner right now. :)

To anyone else on the fence about buying some profiles from Soundside - DO IT. the attention to detail, tones and methods of capturing an amps 'soul' are spot on.

Freaking.Genius!

-Tonerider

Sorry, must clarify -

Only adjusting Clean Sens on Clean Profiles and both sens on o'driven ones.

I've found myself backing off on the Dist Sens, and if the amp was not profiled with a TS, then dialling that in to taste to ensure the input is not getting too saturated or distorted - and I'm getting that 'big fat distortion tone where you can hear each string but with chunk'. So the TS just give an slight boost and reduces the bass.

I know it's just adjusting the gain, but for me, and how I play - it's working wonders. If I find after adjusting the 20 or so profiles I use, that there is a common setting among them, I'll record a few clips with the global setting locked - and again with the individual ones in place.

Btw, I only have alnico II pu's - 11.8k bridge and 7.9k neck.

Evening All,

Until Saturday, I had set and locked my input settings for the Clean and Dist Sens...

Then, I decided to turn the lock off - and manually adjust it for some very well acclaimed TAF and Morgan AC20 profile.

BAM! Damn - that's what's been missing.

Because I don't have any amps to profile - yet - I have been using some profiles to record, jam - but something, something has been missing. That bit of mojo, the connection of a player, guitar and equipment.

Simply adjusting the Clean and Dist Sens per profile has brought the 4-5 tones I have tweaked to life. Like the amp is there in-front of me life - those moments where you just get lost, and your fingers play - and a bit more of the person behind the guitar comes through.

So, now I'm going to work on my favourite 15-20 profiles and sort the individual input settings for each one. It REALLY makes a huge difference to my ears and setup. Takes a good sound profile, makes it 'pop' and come alive.

A very, very proud Kemper owner. :)

-Tonerider

Afternoon All,

So, after being away on holiday, I came back rejuvenated, reassessed my Kemper tones - and this one popped out (FRAENGGERS 5153) - and so did the riffs...

Tonerider - Kemper Clip 280514

Just a one-hit riff take - and I'd appreciate some comments/ideas on where to take it. I like to use inversions and slides to add more to my riffs - but not sure if this gets lost...then the 'chugging' part sounds a little pedestrian to me - but I'm glad to get something recorded other than mindless jamming - so a bit of a purpose here.

I'm using my Maxon od808 infront, as prefer it to the built in versions. Just seems a little smoother. Guitar is a LTD EC1000 with Alnico II pu's.

Style, it's definately metal - but don't let that put anyone off - I'd appreciate any comments and feedback. As much as I like the Alnico II in the bridge - I think I'll put a Duncan Distortion orJB in and keep the Alnico II neck.

Hope you enjoy it,

-Tonerider

My only experience with good cans is with the Audio-Technicia ATH-M50's - I've been using and abusing them since 2008 with no complaints. And this is working on everything from classical to drumfunk, breakcore, metal and ambient sludge stuff.

Listening back to the 2.4 v 2.3 clip on KRK VXT 4's and Audio-Technicia ATH-M50's...I prefer the extra audible 'chunk' to 2.4 vs the 'hair' on 2.3.

So, it comes down to chunk vs. hair - which do you prefer?

I guess it just highlights how tone can be very subjective. Everyone has ears, go with what tickles yours.