One little thing - one huge new world of TONE!

• Evening All,

Until Saturday, I had set and locked my input settings for the Clean and Dist Sens...

Then, I decided to turn the lock off - and manually adjust it for some very well acclaimed TAF and Morgan AC20 profile.

BAM! Damn - that's what's been missing.

Because I don't have any amps to profile - yet - I have been using some profiles to record, jam - but something, something has been missing. That bit of mojo, the connection of a player, guitar and equipment.

Simply adjusting the Clean and Dist Sens per profile has brought the 4-5 tones I have tweaked to life. Like the amp is there in-front of me life - those moments where you just get lost, and your fingers play - and a bit more of the person behind the guitar comes through.

So, now I'm going to work on my favourite 15-20 profiles and sort the individual input settings for each one. It REALLY makes a huge difference to my ears and setup. Takes a good sound profile, makes it 'pop' and come alive.

A very, very proud Kemper owner. :)

-Tonerider

• Honestly, I don't get it. There's just one situation, in which I could see that changing the clean sense setting may alter the sound a hair and that's with a profile, that is not fully clean, but also not distorted - so just in the middle. In this situation, if you raise clean sense, the clean portion of the sound comes a little to the fore. However, if you have your clean sense adjusted so that clean profiles are balanced out against distorted profiles, changing the clean sense does not change the sound at all.

• Honestly, I don't get it. There's just one situation, in which I could see that changing the clean sense setting may alter the sound a hair and that's with a profile, that is not fully clean, but also not distorted - so just in the middle. In this situation, if you raise clean sense, the clean portion of the sound comes a little to the fore. However, if you have your clean sense adjusted so that clean profiles are balanced out against distorted profiles, changing the clean sense does not change the sound at all.

You can't both freeze the clean sense at the balance point and and adjust it at the same time :)

I have an inkling that you would get the same result by simply adjusting the gain. At least the dist sense would be the same (although the controls are scaled differently). I don't know about the clean sense. For break-up / in-betweeen type sounds, the clean sense would, as mentioned, alter the balance. I think maybe the gain knob does this also??

But either way - if how the unit actually works differs from what you perceive and what makes you play better and enjoy it more - I'd go with the placebo effect any day ! :)

• I need to re-read CK's post on the Distortion Sense as I've noticed I like it turned back (-db) for my LP.

But that's just a turn back of gain?!? When I turn the gain back on such profiles, I don't get the same seeming sound.

It's like I get more of a clear top end, or treble, without losing the distortion of the gain.

• No, it's exactly like a gain control, but with a different excursion.
    But, on a dirty sound both clean and dist sens act. The former sets how much volume (level) the clean part of the sound gets, the latter ow much gain the distortion component has got.

Feel free to see this thread for a deeper view :)

• Sorry, must clarify -

Only adjusting Clean Sens on Clean Profiles and both sens on o'driven ones.

I've found myself backing off on the Dist Sens, and if the amp was not profiled with a TS, then dialling that in to taste to ensure the input is not getting too saturated or distorted - and I'm getting that 'big fat distortion tone where you can hear each string but with chunk'. So the TS just give an slight boost and reduces the bass.

I know it's just adjusting the gain, but for me, and how I play - it's working wonders. If I find after adjusting the 20 or so profiles I use, that there is a common setting among them, I'll record a few clips with the global setting locked - and again with the individual ones in place.

Btw, I only have alnico II pu's - 11.8k bridge and 7.9k neck.

• Sorry to be a killjoy, but distortion sense just lowers or raises the gain and clean sense makes your clean sounds louder or quieter, if set too high it will introduce clipping and some digital compression. That's all.
    Turn your volume up for the same effect.
    This and "system reset made my Kemper sound better" are the two biggest urban legends on this forum ;)

• Sorry to be a killjoy, but distortion sense just lowers or raises the gain and clean sense makes your clean sounds louder or quieter, if set too high it will introduce clipping and some digital compression. That's all.
    Turn your volume up for the same effect.
    This and "system reset made my Kemper sound better" are the two biggest urban legends on this forum ;)

Thanks for that!
    Incredible how often threads with a "I improved the sound of my profiler by changing xxsens" come up", although it has been stated so often by CK that it is not true.
    This kind of permanent misconception is very surprising to me.
    Legends are hard to kill and sometimes I feel that particularly guitarists seek for a kind of 'holy grail procedure' even in something that's so magically logical as the profiler.

• Thanks for that!
    Incredible how often threads with a "I improved the sound of my profiler by changing xxsens" come up", although it has been stated so often by CK that it is not true.
    This kind of permanent misconception is very surprising to me.
    Legends are hard to kill and sometimes I feel that particularly guitarists seek for a kind of 'holy grail procedure' even in something that's so magically logical as the profiler.

Yes. If X sens can't change tone, the will affect the feel of crunch sounds tho, because they basically change the Profiler's response to dynamics. So it's true, in a... sense (lol), that sound can change. But agree on the mythological aspects of human mind :D

• It will change the response when one overdoes it (set it too high) - then CK. magical soft clip kicks in, giving some compression I suppose, which makes the guitar easier to play and less "stiff".

For me the best trick to improve the tone of my profiler is 2 hours of practice a day, every day. Some profiles are so unforgiving as a good botique class A amps cranked :)

• It will change the response when one overdoes it (set it too high) - then CK. magical soft clip kicks in, giving some compression I suppose, which makes the guitar easier to play and less "stiff".

For me the best trick to improve the tone of my profiler is 2 hours of practice a day, every day. Some profiles are so unforgiving as a good botique class A amps cranked :)

Interesting... Any tips on which profiles? :)