Posts by Tonerider

Thanks for all the responses guys - after comparing some clip recordings, it's interesting how much warmer/darker the nickel wound set are in C# - the standard tuning set I use is Rotosound 10-46 which are nickel-on-steel strings. These have a lot more 'zing' and using the same preset from the roto's to the ernie balls sound like the gain has been dropped considerably. Hmm, might just keep the ol' faithful in standard e.

K, looks like this issue is all sorted -

I did install the latest firmware, and try a global reset as recommended by db9091 - this combined with reducing the dist sens to between -8 to -10 globally has sorted the issue. Stomps like the Green Scream now react as I would expect. I think it must have been a case of the hotter SD pu's driving things further despite not clipping the input light. I still have plenty of gain on tap, more clarity and the harsh frequencies are much more tamed.

Back to writing and enjoying music - priceless!

-Tonerider

So, I've recently had issues with annoying frequencies when using distorted profiles - and a combo of changing the strings / tuning on my guitar and a global parameter reset has fixed this - so back cookin' with gas!

I've just recorded a quick clip with one of Thumas's Rockmaster profiles - It's a bit sloppy in places - but want to build on this and enjoying writing again. Would like to tighten the low end, and make a bit more percussive - so appreciate any stomp / eq suggestions - and if this sounds like any other artists people know...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Kemper - Rockmaster Jam.mp3

Just a one pass take - but main thing - is my ears are enjoying the tones now!!

-Tonerider

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Kemper - Rockmaster Jam.mp3

Brilliant - thanks for the reply Michael.

Not done any truss adj myself before - so just wanted to do a sense check. Have done general maintenance and wiring own pu's etc - just always been wary - but guess if I don't try I don't know - and as long as careful, can't do any harm!

Thanks again,

-Tonerider

Hi All,

I'm currently experimenting with different tunings - and just wanted to check advice on possible truss-rod adjustments -

I have been using E standard with 10-46 strings - which gave an approx tension of 97.6lbs on the neck.

I've re-strung with 12-54's in C# standard - which is coming up as 103.9lb.

So, overall difference is an extra 6.3lb - do you think I need to make any truss-rod adjustments? I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the guitar in this tuning as it's only been re-strung for 24 hours. I like a higher action - so both treble and bass side strings are 2mm @ 12th fret.

Checking the neck relief today with capo @ 1st fret and holding down on the 16th where the neck meets the body gives a good neck relief @ 7th and 8th frets - (under a business card thickness) and no buzzing. Eye-balling the neck doesn't show a visible bow - and neck was almost straight in E.

So, hoping extra tension is minimal - and I can evaluate the tuning for a few weeks - and do my axe no harm??

Many thanks,

-Tonerider

Gate is set on 0 for all stomps and input is locked, so current on -12 for dist and clean sens.

Can anyone else hear the frequency boosted @ approx 0:52-0:54 on the clip? If not, I'm going to get my hearing checked.

Do notice with ribbon mic profiles, the issue is no where near as apparent...

Input light is always green also.

Thanks,

Hi All,

I've been jamming with my kemper tonight using my Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans - almost two hours now, and noticed a frustrating issue that's stopping my playing. On almost EVERY heavy distorted profile there's a frequency that's bugging my ears.

I've tried different headphones and cables - no difference.

I initally thought it was the definition parameter within the amp block - turning it down helped, but it was still niggling me. Then, I have dropped my dist sens to -12 and that has cleaned it up - but still noticeable. I've then tried with the eq - and reducing the treble / presence helps but dulls the guitar tone...

So, I recorded a clip with me going from 0>10 on the definition parameter - around 0:52-54 I can really hear this annoying issue when playing muted 'A' power chord - does anyone else hear this?

I did notice this previously with my alnico II pu's - and now it seems a little more pronounced with my SD Black Winters - bridge pu is around 4mm away from strings. Dropping the dist sens has given me a lot more string definition when playing chords.

Btw, this clip is with NO stomps - as soon as I put a green scream in - it BOOSTS the issue. I sure it's linked to the EQ.

So, does anyone else hear this - and what can I do?

Headphone volume is on -76.6 db - and main out - master stereo / monitor - master mono / direct out - git+processing...

I hope there is a way to fix this - it's making me not enjoy playing guitar.

I did suffer a perforated ear drum over 7 years ago - which gives me slight tinnitus. This frequency seems to irritate it - but listening to music on the same headphone a LOT louder produces NONE of these issues.

Same issue is apparent both with headphones connect direct to kemper and through audio-interface.

I notice a lot of the H.gain profiles I like have the definition on 9-10 - lowering to 5.5 helps, along with the dropping of dist sens and eq - but I'm not sure what else to do.

One profile that does sound good - if a little bassy is 'Peavey RM Ultra' by Thumas - this is WITH the EQ engaged after amp.

Hope I can sort this ASAP -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46395535/Kemper Frequency.wav

-Tonerider

Hmm, so - If I'm understanding this correctly, the new DI profiles will mean those like me who have no amps can use the DI's - mix and match with some cabs converted from the Redwirez Big Bundle and start adding that bit more 'personal' touch to our Kemper tones? And, it should sound like it would...I'd love to work on some up close 57 and off axis room mics to see what that can bring to the table...

Is this reasoning correct? Or am I confused?

I have found with both sets of pickups I have used with my Kemper (Alnico pro II and SD Black Winters) that the main culprit for making the Green Scream sound 'fake' or too boosted was the definition parameter in the AMP block. Most high gain amps had this profiled/tweaked to 10 - dropping back to 5-5.5 and then using the GS as normal yielded much more usable tones.

Hi All,

This is one thing I am struggling with the Kemper - I LOVE to add a touch of reverb to high gain tones to give them a bit more 'width' and it adds something, that just make me play better than when using a dry amp tone.

But, for the life of me, I can't dial in a natural sounding reverb - things seem to very quickly become too artificial or ott...

Do I need to pay more attention to the other parameters than Mix and Time? I know I should go back and read the manual again, but hoping a few people can chime in with some quick tips to start sculpting better reverb sounds with high gain profiles.

I do jam using headphones 95% of the time, and the headphone space is off - should I turn this on to assist? Or just completely separate?

Cheers,

-Tonerider

Thanks all,

The guitar originally came with an EMG 81 (b) and 60 (n) - I LOVED the 60 for cleans and leads - but never got on with the 81....

Black Winter's just work great - just playing around with pu height and getting that 'sweet' spot dialled in. :)

Well, for the last year I've been fighting my life long metal tendencies - and working with some Alnico II pu's. Nowt wrong with them, but I always felt that playing was a bit uphill, and it's the only guitar and pu's I had with my kemper after forking out for it - so it's all I have known.

Recently, I did some research, sold some gear, and wired in a set of Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups....

Well...

Um...

H*ly
    *hit*

DAMN. and I mean, DAMN. And an added barrage of expletives.

In the last 36 hours I feel like I have heard my profiler for the FIRST time. Clear, Stereo image, proper harmonics, clarity, and my playing has gone through the roof, knocked the dust and socks off my right hand and put a big grin on my face.

Recto's now sound like Recto's - Pete's Profiles all sound kick ass without fighting and eq - Arthur D's profiles SLAY and James's 5153 means I never need to buy any amps again. Effects seem more clear and EQ is more pronounced......Kemper is born again....

Roll back the stone - Pickups DO make a BIG difference.

Proud to have wired 'em all in myself also :)

-Tonerider

Glad you got it sorted Shimmer!

The only other issue I get similar is when the definition parameter is raised too high in the amp block - that leads to an almost 'half-cocked' wah sound, if you have high output pickups, it might be worth experimenting with this also.

Main thing, go play, enjoy, record and track down your favourite tones -

-Tonerider