Posts by theplayer

If I want to change an amp in a rig I choose AMPLIFIER and then FROM RIGS. But how is it possible that the allready used amp is not present in all of my RIGS from my Powerd Kemper?

Like topic starter, I'm beginning to wonder about volumes too. Very recently I bought me an almost as new looking ENGL E212VHB Pro Straight 2x12 cabinet 120 W mono or 2x60 W stereo for my 600 W. powered black Kemper. It has an impedance of 8Ω mono and I use it that way.
    At home I like to play loud, but somehow there's no body, no warm and full rich sound, and no real loud volume before soon clipping in the output led on right top of the Kemper. I looked everywhere:clean sense, dist. sense (0.0) stomps like delay and reverb, gate, compressor etc.
    In the early days I had my all EL34 valve amp head volume also at around 3/4 and that could tear the walls down (as a matter of speaking...)
    I can't figure out how to get that fat rich sound again that keeps on cutting through the mix in a convincing way. Would nothing beat a real valve amp then afterall? Or is it due to all those rigs in Rig Manager where to choose from (yes...I got 13818 to choose from now...!) Are they all bad or do I have to try them all before finding one which sounds right? Or maybe be satisfied with less good sounding rigs. Finally, did I buy me a bad cab?

Guys, you are really complicating things.

I'm sorry for everyone but I do agree with this. I'm not a tone master unfortunately.

Turn up the Power Amp Boost on the last page of the output menu.
    If then cuts through the mix, but too much bass, turn down the bass in the Monitor EQ.
    Consider to switch of that graphic eq in the signal flow.
    If the result does not sound good, then another rig/profile might fit better.

To me this is more understandable and easy follow.
    Though I don't understand that I have to increase Power amp boost. Does everyone have to do that to get through the mix? My other bandmember plays also a Les Paul but with a 1 speaker ENGL amp. He has no problem getting through..He sounds very balanced like a les Paul supposes to sound. I really wonder if my sound has something to do with my poor and old Marshall 2x12 with Goldback speakers. I wonder if a far better cab with ??? speakers would do magic and can make much eq or other tweaking redundant.

Hi,have you tried the monitor volume on page 2 of the output settings?

Of course. I check this on a regular base

Something I have learnt is that when I first when out live and in isolation, I LOVED my guitar tone, but when I took on stage it was completely lost.

This is exactly what I experiencing too. The big difference between home and rehearsal or on stage.

Well, your EQ settings are scooped and look a little like a bath tub. If these are indicative of how you dial in your sound it's no wonder you don't cut through the mix, because your lack of mids steals the body from your tone.

OK. I have to work on that!

General mid boosting is the answer for cutting in a mix.

Also convincing.
    It seems that I can tear down my bass knob....or turn it counter clockwise...

Thanks all!

Is power amp boost (from the output menu ) switched on?

Always, but only 0.6 dB

Sorry if you already know this but cutting through the mix isn't all about volume. It's about finding your space in the frequency spectrum.
    Think mids and Fletcher Munson

Fletcher Munson curve is too complicated for me...I'm sorry. It's a very difficult manageable unit.

My Monitor cab is off (through Output section). I guess this is global?
    Settings here: Bass: +1.0, Mid: +0.6, Treble: + 1.5, Pres.: +0.9
    I usually use Speaker output to Marshall 2x12 input.
    If I use a powered speaker I use Direct output or Monitor output on stage. Main outputs to mixer.

As a corollary to "not enough mids and highs", too much low end in guitar tone makes a guitar very hard to hear when the bass player is playing.

Yes, I know. You get that humming sound and get lost in there.

In this case, if he cuts the lows by high-passing and raises the volume a little, it should cut through but without any gnarly / harsh changes to the tone.

But I don't want shrill guitar sounds by increasing treble and presence, especially and just by increasing volume. All tones high and low strings should be in balance

Cut the low freq slightly 30 to 80 Hz.
    Boost the mid freq around 800 Hz to +2 to 5dB
    Boost the low Mid around 400 Hz to have the whiplash.
    Boost the high freq.

Generally, you have to boost the middle and high freq.

So this means I always have to insert an eq for any rig? I use a graphic eq in a number of rigs: here's one:
    80Hz: 2.9 dB, 160 Hz: 0.6 dB, 320 Hz: -1.5 dB, 640 Hz: -1.6 dB, 1250 Hz: -1.5 dB, 2500 Hz: 1.5 dB, 5000Hz:8.2 dB, 10.000 Hz:6.2 dB. And Low cut: 206 dB, High Cut 33488 Hz. Volume 0
    Maybe this is not right?

I have the Powerhead. You should say that with 600W you'd have quite a lot of volume power. But often that's not the case. One says that my Kemper doesn't cut through the mix. I want to have some reserves so I don't want my master knob to open 100%. My regular volume knob is mostly at 12 o'clock for any rig. But I often have to reach for the option within the amplfier knob to increase the amplifier's volume. I can't imagine that's normal...right? Is it the rig that I choose? is it the amp in the Kemper? Is it my speakercab ( a 2x12 Marshall)? I can't figure it out.

For some rigs I used TRP because of pitch problems for the singer. Went very well, No audible harmonics when set to -2. Only close to your guitar you could hear these different tones, not through the cabinet.
    But now, I get really two different tones with each strike on a string. Haven't a clue why it isn't working anymore. disconnected every stomp, even delay and reverb but there's no way of hearing just one straight other pitch.

Thank you all for this clear explanation. I understand now the need and advantage of monitor cab ON when using an FRFR speaker cab. I'm still using a regular cab, now with monitor off but a good FRFR cab will make the difference.

OK.
    Do I understand right that having a real FRFR-speaker cab with monitor cab ON you really can try different profiled cabs in the Kemper for their identical sound? I tried several cabs in cabinet button (with just my regular Marshall 2x12 cabinet) but they all sound alike.

I found this topic from saschak

Cab Sim affecting sound on monitor out

Jul 11th 2014
    Hi there,

i have a problem that i could not solve yet.

I run the Kemper thru the monitor out (cab sim off) into my tube power amp into my 4x12.
    The main XLR out is going directly to the mixing desk.

It now ofund out that the cab sim is highly affecting the sound that is coming from the monitor out. I love the sound when cab sim is off. But then it is useless for the mixing desk.
    Obviously, when i switch on the cab sim, mixier sound is good, 4x12 sound is not good (monitor out cab sim of is definately enabled)

Anyone has a tip for me how to solve that prob?

Thanks, Sascha

Can anyone explain? Surely he talks about cab sim too...!

Hi everyone,

I'm confused. Finding Monitor cab on/off hasn't been a problem. But I have been really looking for cab sim but in vain. And I'm sure that this option was available. Now I'm beginning to think that, due to new updates, this option has been renamed in Kemper. Anyone to support this and remember it was previously called CAB SIM (for the same purpose): differences in speakersound, using different profiled cabs in conjunction with an FRFR speakercab ?

Hi DaanJM, I explain what it has to do with my question.
    I want to play stereo in stage. I have two selfpowered QSC K8 PA FRFR speakers:
    https://www.idjnow.com/qsc-k8-…with-cables-and-case.html

Since connecting to the speaker out is out of the question an also the two main outs for FOH, that leaves me to the direct out en monitor option. Can they handle two powered powered speakers, or an an extra all valve stereo amp with two non powered speakers ( in case this is an even better option...? If yes, what to do with the 600 W internal mono amp?

Youtr answer is confusing to me. Since the speaker out is not meant for an amp (or powered speaker) that would lead to damage, is it not?

And you mention perfectly possible with the correct settings in the output menu. But it would be more clearer to me if you explain how.

The subject above refers to a diagram in the Reference Manual for connecting two speakers to Monitor Out and Direct Out.

I have read somewhere that you should never connect a powered speaker to the Speaker output. Is this right?

But is it possible to play stereo, using these Monitor Out and Direct Out for 2 powered speaker cabs, ( or connecting a stereo amp with two non-powered cabinets?) This would mean: stereo through main outs and stereo through Monitor Out and Direct Out.

BTW I'm talking about my Powerhead, so can it damage something? Or would setting volume to zero prevent this?