Posts by Gandalf_The_Blond

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)

Got to try the Yorkvilles yesterday, only for ~15 minutes tho...
    My initial thoughts?
    So far so good, but they are not set up properly (on the floor etc...), and too little time to dial in things.
    No chance to a/b actual amps yet

The Yorkville seems to be powerfull but heavy to carry as well at 60 lbs!

Hehe... features/specs say light weight abs plastic cabinet,but there must be some other heavy things in there ;)

I noticed you are in Montreal pick909, there should be an L&M there which would have these ready to demo, and
    prolly a KPA there also if you want to see them first hand. Carrying them is easier than I thought; strangely, 2 are easier
    than one, must be a balance thing...they are not really bulky, or awkward, but that is different for every person.
    2 people can move them fairly easily with the way the handles are. I don't always lift 60 pound cabs, but when i do...I lift two ;)

Speaking of specs, thanks for the heads up and paste Viabcroce (Bendetto Croce?).
    Watts are a particulaily nebulous one, with some fairly eggregious abuses in the past,
    some bordering on ridiculous--if you want a good laugh I can link some later.
    What Jay wrote in that quote you posted is a pretty good statement on the matter.
    Poor guy, if he designed them, asking him to explain wattage misconceptions is a little
    like asking a Formula One driver to drive a forklift instead (must be boring for him).
    I have read (probably here) some of his other things on acousitcs, reflections, and
    speaker placement.Interesting stuff and some practical info as well.

I do wish there was a way to do a direct comparison he mentioned, especially with the CLR's,
    because I am curious about them. Be nice if any store carried a demo model.
    Do you know if there is an "FRFR" graph for the CLR's that can illustrate how flat they are etc?
    I noticed the Frequency Response for them is 70Hz-18kHz, +/- 2.5 dB, and am not sure how well
    this would illustrate flatness.

The Yorkville's Frequency Response is (Hz +/- 3dB) 45Hz to 26kHz. Could the wider band mean a larger +\- dB?
    They can get pretty loud, (133dB Peak, 128dB Continuous) I turned them up a bit, but any more would have probably got me "discovered" and
    signed with the local police immediately ;)
    Interestingly, they have a defeatable mixer on board (pic on 15" model page, mouse over to zoom. but it is the same input/mixer as the 12's...link below), with the ability to control
    bass, if you want to add a sub (thinking of testing that later on also). I am going to email them and ask for an "FRFR" graph, can post here too.

http://yorkville.com/loudspeak…parasource/product/ps15p/

I have also heard a Matrix QSC 10" (was not too fussy on it),
    EV (Electro Voice iirc) 12's 15's mono, stereo, with/without subs. They were pretty good.
    a yammie DXR 8" which was also quite good.

I am trying to find a pair of DSR 112's to check out, but the closest place I know atm is 500km away, and they only have one...

Right now, I am travelling, so don't have access to the Yorkville's untill the weekend, or Thanksgiving on Monday (holiday).
    Should be able to post more info then.

Hope everyone is having a great day and weekend to come :)

Long time reader here, but this is my first post. Got a massive education here, so much great
    information, didn't have much to say...still much to learn.

Firstly I should thank the Kemper team for creating such an epic machine. This truly is one of the best things you
    can have with a stringed instrument. Kudos and major props for standing behind it, and bringing something totally
    new into the world!

Next, is grats to everyone here for a kick ass forum, one of the best on the net imho. Lots of really nice people,
    who are very knowledgeable, and happy to help other users. Also a fun place to be. An island of stability with
    the usual internet elements out there ;)

It is really good to see this forum grow; almost 9k members now, and the free rig exchange with over 5k rigs and counting.
    This ratio speaks for itself, and shows the efforts and wonderful generosity of this community. When looking at the member
    page I noticed a few prolific members with more posts than rigs in the exchange (you know who you are ;) and the great thing
    is seeing these posts as very often an answer to questions other users have about gear, settings etc. This is a knowledge
    base that is only gaining momentum. Should also say, from what I have read of the profile vendors here, they are very skilled,
    and class acts.

Having got a second KPA 8o (non powered E.T.'s toaster/lunchbox model) I figured it is high time I got my act together and took the
    time to say hello, and thanks for all the info and rigs.

I will also be testing out a pair of relatively new speakers (link below, not sure how insert link works yet) over the next little while,
    but not sure when I will have the time (not even hooked up yet). Let me know what you think based on specs, or if anyone has
    used them, experience, tips etc. Don't worry about posting any opinion/data about these speakers, good or bad. I won't be
    offended, since I am not very defensive about any gear. More focused on what it can do, and how well it does it. Curious to know
    what people here think :)

http://yorkville.com/loudspeak…parasource/product/ps12p/