Posts by drog

I use a certain commercial set of profiles for my main live sounds .....

I've done all those and when a profile needs to be maxed out on Volume (c.80% ) and the Cab section is up ( 60% ) and the Boost is up ( 60%) with an already clean sens at -12 and its still breaking up then there must be an issue....microphonic pups maybe ?

Is your input hot on clean amps or distorted amps? I had to drop my DS by -1.4db as it was overloading my distorted sounds. You might want to try that. It made all the difference for me and the amps finally were usable and sounding like I Thought they should.

Okay, after hours of playing around, here is what I have.
    I have two different input settings. One for very low level guitars (strat) and one for my higher gain humbuckers. I Went this way because using the EQ as a boost worked well, but I would have to turn it on after each patch change, or save a new rig. Setting the input eliminated that step.

I also lowered my DS a bit, as I was finding too many rigs sounding woofy/muddy. This made everything a ton better, I am now hearing the kinds of sounds I expected.

Here are my input settings:
    Low Level guitars
    CS 0.1db
    DS -1.4 db

Humbucker guitars
    CS -1.7 db
    DS -1.4 db

Not a lot of change, as I still wanted to keep the instruments individual differences. Note that I kept the DS for both the same.But it has a made huge difference so far. One patch in particular became useful again "TAF HIWATT CRANKED" :thumbup: . It was so muddy before, now I can play my HiWatt!!!
    one other thing, I keep the main noise gate down to 4. That way I can use my guitar volume to clean up the amp.
    Going to keep playing around.

Ok, so I went and adjusted the CS for my hottest guitar, then tried swapping between that and my strat (lowest output). I noticed on some of the rigs, I still needed to add an EQ as a boost for my strat. Otherwise it sounded really low and washed out. I noticed that Andy with his TAF rigs also has added some EQ as a boost (had to turn his down a touch). For when he had a low output strat.

My goal is not to have a large volume jump, so I Can manage live playing easier. Especially on smaller gigs with no sound man. So as I do with my tube amps I add a little boost to my strat.

Gizmo, thanks for that link. I had done a search but did not see that. Maybe its time for me to go back to the drawing board and simplify. I will try with the hottest output guitar I have and get that set first. If that works, it would simplify things and save time.

Maybe my approach just needs to be finding a couple of amps for the sound I want. Need to get out of the tweak everything mentality.

Ok, I have that guitarist problem, where I have too much choice. I have 17 guitars (Les Pauls, Strats, EVH's, Semi-hollows, Arch tops, Ibanez's) none are the same in sound or pickups. So I have the dilema of trying to wade through hundreds of amp profiles, to find what works. Some profiles lend more to single coil, some to humbuckers and many grey areas. But the choice is overwheming and try to find a system so I can find those profiles that worked for that guitar again.

I am looking for tips, maybe share a bit of what I do and learn from others.

- So first step for me is setting my input sensitivity for each guitar. I use a db measuring tool to get in a familiar range, then go by ear. Save for each guitar
    - then I search for a good clean sound that works or is close to what I want.
    - then I set my ouput EQ to dial in the clean sound I want, then save for each guitar. So now when I change guitars, I recall my saved input and output settings.
    - then I search for my dirt sound(s) for what I want to hear and also compliments the clean sound.

so now at this point it starts getting harder, since you now need to adjust the EQ a bit for that dirt profile so that sound works, and need to save a new profile.

so I tend to limit my choices for number of profiles and add a designator at the end of the profile name for the instrument, or type. I.e. LP
    on top of that I need to setup the footcontroller so I can find those patches. Bank one f five LP profiles, bank two five Strat profiles, etc.

Since it is a daunting task, I have named my controller patches to show the guitar name, So I can remeber what is where.
    I think with the new Remote releasing, I may want to rename my profile name to my guitars.

Anyone else have any tips, ideas or suggestions?

Well I think the remote is fairly priced. Considering the ease of use and simple design thought that went into this, there was a lot of time spent. Going from playing around and setup on my current midi controller to the ease of the Remote, it is well worth the money spent.

Think in terms on what we pay for entertainment. Heck, two concert/sporting tickets can easily be over couple hundred bucks. What about a dinner and movie? Yup a couple hundred bucks. How many people smoke? Look at the cost of a pack of smokes!

Its all perspective and I guess where you wish to spend your dollars. I guess someone could always, I don't know....try saving up for it? I know, sounds crazy, eh!

Hey Andy,
    I am a guy on the fence about purchasing. Why? Well I don't want a ton of profiles, instead I am trying to seek out the few best amp profiles for my needs. Most times in the packs I hear one or two sounds that peak my interest, but not all of them. It might help to somehow separate the different amps in the audio clips, so the customer has a better idea of which amp is being heard. You could even do this just with an audio cue i.e. " this is a bluesbreaker sample".

I really like the idea of the singles and custom shop profiles, since they are more focused on one amp. That marshall custom shop is one I am most likely going to purchase. I would love a fender custom shop (vintage 57 deluxe).

i also want to say that I like the vision of the custom shop profiles. It adds a greater value to the customers purchase, is a fantastic idea.

I also do not think you need to offer free profiles, just list them as lower priced singles. Audio samples work fine for me.

I checked a pedal train out Saturday when I was buying my DVP3 and I must say they seemed very big and bulky, light but to bulky. some times we play venues where I hardly have room to move let alone fit a big pedal train in.

They have various sizes, should be able to get one that is no bigger than the Kemper Remote and a couple of expression pedals. If you can't fit that, then you won't fit the Remote either. :P

Another board I am looking at is the Gator case G-tour model w/hardshell case. They also have the GPB-BAK boards that have a soft case. http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16108-2198/gpb-bak-gr have not seen the Gator stuff in person