Posts by V8guitar

For me the powered version was great because:

It was designed for the Kemper

It doesn't seem to add any colour ( which is what I want rather than something else to " balance"

Convenience - I have 3 leads now to set up - speaker lead, power lead and remote lead...that's it! And I then plug FOH in ( which I suppose is technically 4 leads)..

Takes me minutes..

Now if kemper could make a wireless remote with rechargeable batteries or dongle to interface to the KPA, I'd be even happier!

Thanks. I think I am going to buy one but you mentioned there might be other options out there which could maybe get me 90% of what I need. What are those options? Thanks!

There are so many, its difficult to answer which are your top 90% needs, for example Helix stomp, AX8, Boss GT1000 etc. Can't comment on sound quality but probably better than a Katana...

Hmmm what else would I need right off the bat other than the Kemper itself?

Only whats been mentioned:

Power amp to drive a speaker

A foot controller - any midi, controller, or the remote

Any expression pedals

Some new guitar picks and strings as you won't stop playing!

Amp in the room is the sound of a good amp through a guitar speaker...

Some people ( not me) think the KPA isn't quite the same as its misses something...

The KPA can do it 2 ways:

A Di/Merged profile ( which is just a profile of the amp) through a regular cab

A studio profile ( which includes the cab) through an FRFR speaker like the camper. This does also include the mic sound which is closer to what you would hear through a PA than straight out of an amp

Both to me are excellent ad I use both options live.

...effects wise, just everything and totally configurable. Flangers, pitch, wah, transpose etc..

You should ideally get the powered version to run a regular cab ( or you can get a separate amp as mentioned or powered speaker). The remote is also excellent but more cost...

You will be blown away with what it can do but make sure you budget for everything you might need...

Hmmm difficult one...

On one hand, I am convinced a Kemper would give you what you need. It is a world away from something like a Katana ( different league in my mind).

On the other hand you might get something that does 90% of what you need for a lot less. Sound is so subjective its difficult to advise what is good and what is not.

My philosophy is to buy the best I can, so its really down to your budget and how much you can/want to invest in an amp. I gig regularly so making the investment was a no brainer....if I wasn't then not sure if I would have bought one..

Are Kempers worth the money? Persoanlly I think so, especially when compared to a high end valve amp, limited to certain sounds...

Of course more suggestions are welcome. Regarding the linear/circular knob behavior: it might be that we offer that as an option in the final version, but linear will always be available and default.

I think the confusion is from the speculation (which we have to do because we don't know).

There was a concern that the circular knob display would require a circular motion ( which is unusual). I don't think anyone wants that. I think the real debate was between sliders and knobs..

So, should it be sliders or knobs - differences of opinion on this, pros and cons outlined by Per.

If its knobs, I think everyone agreed not a circular motion.

Its been confirmed this isn't the case so all good.

I'm using it, and I'll just copy paste everything I've wrote about it from another thread with some additions)

• Could not detect any noticeable latency
    • It's multichannel (scans for free frequencies automatically, when you plug in transmitter into the receiver)
    • Transmitter holds it's charge close to declared in specs 12 hours
    • Receiver has 1/4" input, so you can play guitar through cable, while charging the transmitter
    • Has stable signal when used with power supply
    • If using receiver with batteries that start dying, you may have some minor dropouts if radio signal is obstructed. But I've didn't have any dropouts when using it with power supply.
    • Comes with no power supply in the the box. But if you buy it to fit it on your pedal board, you don't really need it, because WL-50 has standard 9V power input
    • Fits nice with pedalboards: again, has 9V power input and also has clean profile, when transmitter is plugged into the receiver, so nothing sticks out, if you want to put your pedalboard in a case or a bag. It also it detects that it is plugged into receiver and uses almost no power

And also I've just looked at G10s, and it's a direct competitor to WL-50. Both are pedalboard oriented. Both are multichannel: G10s – 11 channels; WL-50 – 14 channels. G10s has twice as much range as WL-50, but WL-50 can hold up for 4 hours longer (according to specs, at least :) ). Both have cable length simulation. G10s has additional output, WL-50 has additional input.

So if anyone looking for a wireless unit for pedalboard, consider these first)

Thats really useful info.... becuase I want the guitar bug type, these are of interest - just wish I could get a rack version...but mounting a pedal board version in my rack should be OK. I do worry about range though as I like to go a wandering!

Small follow-up. My Stageclix Jack V4 is for sale. I just ordered a brand new V3! The V3 receiver has a smaller footprint (not 1/3 19") and will fit on my "floorboard" perfectly. So it isn't necesarry to put my rack next to me anymore.

Just to let you know, line 6 have upgraded their G10 to the G10s which looks better. Boss have the WL-50...

Also sennheiser have launched a guitar bug version ( annouced at NAMM)...

Its weird, but I've never had an issue with my cable after 3 years of gigging...

I wish they would affer a wireless capability anyway...there must be a way to have an external ethernet wireless transceivers, obviously the remote side would require phantom power capability to power the remote...

Anyone clever enough to do this!! The cable woes then disappear!!

LOl thanks You guys made me realise I need to be more precise so I changed my title to : Apart from the player, good sound =50/50 Guitar/Kemper ;)

I'm so sorry Dennis but I don't agree still...I think the guitar is actually quite a small part, given the quality of even cheap guitars these days..

Let's be honest, everything in the whole chain can affect it, it depends how bad. I doubt many people can detect the difference between a George L cable and Planet Waves one because they are both good. But put in an ultra cheap cable that crackles, of course you will.

The guitar in my Avatar is a £250 Epiphone, albeit a Korean one....Very few people would notice the difference between that and a Gibbo, sound wise..

Law of diminishing returns..

Promise I'll shut up now because I think your general point about expecting cheap equipment to sound as good as good quality stuff is true..