Posts by V8guitar

Thanks Calaban.

Stupid question Lash, do you mean the global monitor switch or cab button on each profile ( I assume the latter).

As you have a similar set up to me, can you suggest your favourite profiles and any tips for settings? I'll look at the Pete turley and OK strat ones :)

Love it!

Paults - I would have thought so but SKB cases are quite shiney and the Kemper is relatively light ( I took great pleasure in pointing this out on Sat when our other guitarist was lugging his marshall head in :)

Hi Sam,

I've struggled to be honest. I had a gig Sat, had a profile I thought was sounding good at home ( a JCM 800) and for some reason it at volume it didn't sound very good - very muddy.

It wasn't eq as we played with this ( otehr guitarist, bass player who is a sound engineer and me ) and still couldn't get it to sound good. So, changed profiles and it was better but did this 2 mins before we started playing. Yes this could happen with a regular amp but you usually know that the basic sound is good.

I know it's about discovery and time with it but with a regualr amp with less choice and variables does limit to user error factor, which I fully accept as m

BTW - I was really stressed pre gig becuase I hadn't had enough time to set it up..and it feels like you need that time.

Sorry not explaining this very well.....but any help with suggested profiles does help, particualr if they are for similar set up's so you at least have a chance of starting wiith a good basic sound.

Sounds like I don't like my Kemper, but I do. Just not found the sounds 100% that I want yet...I will get there but this is where otehr users can be really useful..

Thank goodness for the forum :)

All,

So whilst I aprpeciate its down to what you like rather than votes, as a new users it's good to get a starting point.

The problem with the rating is it's based on who has used them and then bothered to rate. Plus everyone is using ther Kemper in a dfferent way.

What would be good is just a simple list that people can contribute to that covers useage ( live or Studio, FRFR or guitar cab etc), music style/gain level, single coil or humbucker users and other settings ( e.g. cab monitor off, volume at x db).

Don't get me wrong, the rig exchange is brilliant but it's still a lot to go through and I think you get sound "blind" after 20 or 30 rigs anyway.

I am going to go through a few peoples favourites on this thread which has been massively helpful so even just to continue this thread on peoples favs...it's no different then people sharing fav amp settings..

Another perspective - My mate is very inetrested in a Kemper but is worried it's too complex to get a good sound. He's basically said, when I get mine set up he would like it set very similar - this is becuase we aren't sound engineers and as a lowly guitarist we sometimes struggle to understand all aspects of sound. We know what we like but not necessarily how to get there. Whilst I like the challenge and the exclusivity of the Kemper, it would open up a massive market if the sounds were straight out of the box. I know the signal chain issues etc all come into that but those are discussions you rarely have when buying a regular amp and sometimes adding this in just makes decisions worse rather than better. I suspect most people who sell their Kempers is becuase they can't set it up..

From day one I knew that if I get a bad sound, it's my fault rather than the Kempers' :)

Just used my Powerrack live for the first time last night housed in a shallow Gator rack case.

However, it's very unstable sitting on top of my 4x12 and given at the moment I'll stay wired, a possible risk of pulling it off, with a high chance of damaging it.

Anyone know of a clamp or some way to fix it to the cab for a gig?

The only alternative to to fashion a platform myself or strap it to the cab using the cab and case handles.

At some point I will try to go without a cab and go straight into the PA but for now I need to sort this..

Ideas???

In the band we do one song on acoustic guitar...can the Kemper be used effectively as a DI box?

In other words can I run it intot he Kemper and use the monitor out direct to the PA. Does anyone do this, importantly to alternate between that and electric.

I'm assuming this is possible/sensible ??? Obviously it would need to be balanced with the right profile/volume...

All you need is DI profiles, the sound of the whole amp (pre & power amp) without the cab. You could check 2 DI profiles from this free pack --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqxx…iStation_FreeProfiles.rar or this --> http://www.devilusion.de/devilusion_rigs.zip which were shared from one of Devilusion's guitarists (Sascha) on facebook's KPA User Group. Check this one too (Peavey 6505 with a Maxon OD808) --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nlfkwi4bknmvkw/eS%26C 6505 TS PPDI - 2013-12-24 00-20-00.kipr it was shared from a guitarist of the same fb group called Chris Schmid. I have checked them personally with my Kemper Powerhead and they are amazing.

Thanks Mike, I'll give those a go.

Had my first gig with it last night...as it was a triple header, even though we headlined, we got no soundcheck, just a line check before we started - plus I used the other bands 4x12....

The initial sound I had sorted at home didn't sound great and I starting to wish Id taken my Engl.

I was dreading the sound becase I had no "fiddle" time. Ended up changing my main profile minutes before we started...Argh!

In the end it was OK, the sound not too bad, so confident I will find what I need but please keep bringing the advice as I want to find the best base sound to build from there..

Also found my midi pedal whilst compact, was a bit hit and miss, so ordering an FCB1010.

I will persevere..

No worries about hijacking all useful.

I am in a Whitesnake covers band ( early stuff) so the JCM 800 TAF sounds idea for that. Happy to shell out £50 if I get the right sound. Thought I had the TAF JCM 800 from their free downloads but it's another JCM800 profile so I will get that sorted...

I know there is some psychological aspect and I trust others more than me. It will take time, LOVING the versatility...just need that golden sound.

I haven't even started profiling yet...maybe that's the key as well.

Viabcroce - I think I have cab emulation off...is that by switch the monitor cab off in the main section? Does switching the cab on an off in the amp section on each rig alter the sound. I think it does but not sur ( I know that sounds stupid!!). If not, pls tell me the best way to do it :)

All,

Just had my first run through with my Powerrack at rehearsal.I though it sounded OK, but not blown away.

So just after some general advice or tips on getting a better sound via my 4x12 with V30's/G12H's.

So what is wrong ? Just sounds too digital...Not fizzy just not natural enough ( sorry can't describe it). Might be psychological knowing there isn't a valve amp sitting there...

Played a bit with power sagging, tone, gain etc and they are very responsive but don't know how to get what I want.

Anyone got any toptips or advice on best profiles - on Rig Manager just too much choice even though they are rated, would be good to get some suggestions from you guys of a good starting point with a similar set up.

All I want is a good rock sound, not too heavy. Currently using a JCM800 and it seems to be closest.

I don't want to get into a an "FRFR is the only way to go" debate as I need a good sound out of my 4x12 for now :P

Just as a footnote - couple of people in the band thought it sounded good, so it could just be me just not used to it.

Help!

Just thought I'd share this tip from a first time Kemper user...

Took my power rack to my first rehearsal. Set it all up and....no sound!

Checked the link into the cab, all ok. No signal on the input...so swapped the lead.

No difference.

Swapped guitars, still nothing....now getting worried...

Asked the other guitarist to have a look. He suggested....

....that I plug into the input and NOT the headphone socket.

Funnily enough it suddenly worked...

Do I feel like a donkey?

+100...

An editor is better for setting up the basics such as naming, midi mapping, organising etc.

The current Rig Manager is great and verty simple to use for auditioning rigs, it is a pain to then have to set up on the Kemper using the dials. It's far better than other products though, I hasten to add.

I do agree I'd rather small incremental changes than wait for a big release...as a manager of software development, it makes sense :)

Started doing this and it all seemed to be fine, then I took one rig, added some chorus, renamed it and for some reason when I try to assign it to a program, the program change number slection insetad of adding the rig goes blank. Tried other rigs and it works fine.

I'm sure this is a rookie mistake but I can't work out what I've done wrong. I can work round it but it would be good to know what I did wrong...

Ideas??