Posts by V8guitar

I have seen good players playing all levels of gear. Why do people assume that if someone has expensive gear that they can't play as well as they do? I have made a decent amount of money playing my guitar. I use a variety of guitars and other gear, some expensive and some not. Should we all be ridiculed for having an expensive Kemper on the stage?

To me these complaints sound more like jealousy. I have seen people crap all over PRS guitars, until they can afford to get one. Then they brag about them to everyone. I have never subscribed to any of this. We all get to spend our money on whatever we want to. It has nothing to do with your level of skill.

I don't think anyone is saying because you have good gear you can't play. I think the point is that gear is not a substitute for good playing - which i know you also did not say this.

The way I look at this - I love gear and will spend what I want to spend - as long as my wife allows it. I'm a mediocre player at best, I know gear does not make me play better but it does sometimes inspire and I also know I have the best shot and sounding as good as I can - gear is not the limitation.

Lets be honest an Epiphone sounds nearly as good as a Gibson, a Squier nearly as good as a fender....but you don't feel as good unless your vibe is to enjoy playing junk and squeezing as much out of it as possible - which is also valid. I had an Epiphone Les Paul and Gretsch Electromatic for my Cult tribute band and I've now upgraded to a 70's Gibson Les Paul Mick Ronson copy and full blown White Falcon. I love them and feel privilidged to own and play them but I don't sound any better.

No one should feel guilty playing good or expensive gear and I don't think that is the intention of any of the comments so far.

Thanks everyone, I've ordered the power head for now, I'm gonna use it in to the speaker in my valve amp for the time being but I might pick up a kone or it's own cab if everything is ok with this one.

Fab. I have the powered rack and love it. I use a Kabinet but I have run it with a 4 x12 and FRFR previously.

Just be aware that the speakers make a huge difference to the sound. Way more than I ever realized..

I agree and actually the KPA has helped with that. I chased True Bypass for so long and I no longer worry about a pedal board at all now.

However, I'd buy anything that made me sound better than I actually am :)

Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to give it a go. I've had some reliability issues with my valve amp so it's not like they're indestructible either! I'll be sure to post back here once it turns up.

Do you know anyone that has one? Always worth trying someone else's as well :)

Good luck dude.

Well the itch really is for that Two-Rock / dumble style clean, but of course it comes with a high price tag and also an element of risk that I don't actually like the amp after taking the plunge (I can't try before I buy) so the Kemper removes that really given a profile is much cheaper than a Two-Rock..

When I did have the Kemper and used it after the hiss had dissipated it was great, used it with the Kone and loved it, but I just couldn't get past the issue. Seeing so many that have owned one for years (a decade for some!) with no issues makes me think maybe give it another go. The shop I'm looking at has a good returns policy so I'm thinking it's relatively low risk.

Then I would go for it.

My concern was that it was on an issue with the Kemper but somewhere in else e.g. through a DAW. That type of hiss is definitely not normal.

The Kemper for me has bene the most fault free, reliable guitar tool I have ever had. I only have experienced 2 issues in 8-9 years of ownership:

1) I did have an issue with it crashing, but that was an identified software issue with a beta release. That was resolved very quickly

2) The ethernet connection became loose - I had that swapped out and now have it per connected so it won't ever happen again.

I played a show 2 weeks ago and one of the guitarists had an ENGL ( I used to run ENGL's so I'm a huge fan)...and during sound check, a valve went...he became very interested in my rig after that :)

The problem is you never located the fault and so that risk will exist.

I've had my Kemper for over 8 years now, never experienced that type of issue, so definitely not typical.

A Two Rock and Kemper are totally different beasts so it does depend on what that itch is, but of course I did vote Kemper :). What is probably most telling from my perspective is since I've had my Kemper I've NEVER had that itch....used to have it all the time, buying amps, cables, pedals....now its only guitars....so....

Not TRYING to be opposite but..

I really can't hear the difference between My Line 6 G10 and an expensive cable. Recorded in a mix I don't think Eric Johnson could.

The latency isn't any worse than standing 3' from the amp and I'm usually farther than that.

Sometimes I'll have my amp in the live room and run my G10 and end up recording with it. It doesn't sound any different than using a Mogami gold cable. Not saying the G10 is the best wireless ever and I'm sure it's not, but It sounds like a cable to my ears.

Personally I went down the whole Van Damme cables and George L's....and I felt it was a waste of money. Why? I didn't do a back to back test so I can't claim if they sounded better or not, but if they did it was a very small difference e.g. putting on new strings probably has a bigger impact.

The actual point is, we like what we like and sometimes we also get used to or work around things that aren't perfect e.g. the Hendrix example. It also doesn't matter if its really not better, if it makes someone "feel" better, they play better.

The only comparison I have is I have played live using my Sennheiser wireless, recorded the gig, and then overdubbed at home using a cable...I could not notice the difference.

JEverly - yeah here in the UK I can get Van Damme cable for £2.50 a metre or 12m lead with Neutrix connectors for £45 so supply must be harder in the US.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ryan Martinie truly is one the most underated bassists ever IMO. Always loved this jam. :)

I like this...sort of :)

This guy is badass.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the UK we haven't been exposed to Hee Haw but apparently he was a big influence on many country players and John 5...

Make sure you check out the latency, that's where some corners can get cut that you won't want. Even with a perfect connection without droputs that cloud will still be hovering.

I suspect ( but I don't know) for indoors and what the OP needs it for, its unlikely to be an issue

Without starting a new thread, does anyone have a recommendation for cheap wireless? My xVive are dying and I need something for use in the house. They won’t be gigging

Is the Boss Wl 20 too expensive?

I looked at these but they went out of business for a period of time and were very expensive - otherwise looked great!