Posts by benifin

I have heard good things about the REDDI boxes

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/reddi-all-tube-direct-box.htm

Probably the absolute single best DI for live use ...... however it is specifically designed to "tube-ify" your DI output .... precisely the opposite what you don't want if you are doing DI profiles - unless however you want to deliberately "color" the sound of your DI'd amp signal during the DI profiling process - horses for courses - the beauty of sound and music is that there is no "correct" answer :)

Ben

The release date for the 3.0 firmware in the announcement is wrong. The info about availability will be updated in a timely manner. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your patience and understanding! :)

Is this is hopefully humourous joke -or- true ?

Its not like the website front page wouldn't have been written and proofed well in advance ?

Ben

And yes the Profile pack are all DI+Merged Cabs..

My understating of the new Profile Pack rigs it that as they are DI + Merged Cabs -and unless I am way off the mark- all you simply do is change/swap the Cab to whatever you want -or more simply for those of us only wanting pure DI profiles- remove/delete the merged Cab and ....presto..... fully standalone DI Profile ...... take the moniutor out to your linear amp if choice, plug it in to your own regular real guitar cab and ..... bingo ..... and no FRFR cabs needed ........ true, real, actual %100 amp and cab separation.

Ben

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…?postID=193462#post193462

In short, given you will need no-cab-simming and/or no tone filtering ( you definelty don't want any sort of cab-simming or tone filtering for DI profiling ) its the Behringer Ultra G ( ~$70 ) or the ARTZDirect ( ~$40 ) both dirt cheap - both do the job - both well built and both totally neutral in terms of tone.

If Kemper do release a DI, and its under $100, I may get it just because its a Kemper ..... then again, no :)

Whilst the Behringer cab-simming can be turned-off, I went with the ART ZDirect as it has a switchable low pass thay shelves off -3dB @ 30kHz to eradicate system / computer / hardware noise and interference.

Given guitar fundamental frequencies top out 12k [max] and guitar harmonic frequencies and overtones top out at 18k [max] the -3dB @ 30kHz low pass wont even remotely get within a light-year of your guitar frequencies but it will get rid of some/most of the system / computer / hardware noise and interference.

Ben

This is fantastic news ..... couple of quick questions / thoughts:-

-> are the new Michael W. profiles. DI. Profiles. ?

-> the the new Michael B profiles DI. Profiles. ?

Also, my reading of the "smoothest preset switching ever" comment. Is that it is related to the upcoming FSW controller (?). - hope I'm wrong.

Although as I have said before there is really no reason why. Standard midi controller switching can't also be improved ...... will be interesting to see :)

Ben

Hey all

Not too happy :( as my local retailer called me today and said the local supplier is out of black KPA non-power toasters ....... he did however say he could get me a Powered Rack in black ......

My question is regarding the "Power" Amp part of the Powered Rack.

My guitar cab is a standard [ mono ] 2 x 12 ~60w 16 ohm cab.

The Power Rack at 16 ohms is 300w per side stereo ...... ouch!!

Two vey quick questions:-

( 1 ) if I were to run the Power Rack at 16 ohms mono, is the max. mono wattage still 300w -or- 600w ?

.... but more importantly ....

( 2 ) is there a setting in the Power Rack menu's' / software whereby you can pre-set the maximum wattage / volume the Power Rack can go up too ?

ie: set it to, say, a ceiling of say 30w or 60w or 100w etc....... so when the volume controls are max'ed out the power amp only puts out the pre-set selected "ceieling "

If I go the powered rack route, I really want to -not- blow up my cab speakers :( :)

Thanks again,
    Ben

Holy guacamole - I just checked locally and it looks like the ART ZDirect is even cheaper than the Behringer ...... amazing.

Out of sheer curiosity I also just checked the [ quoted in the manual ] Frequency Range specs on the Behringer and it states 10k<->160k ... as opposed to 10k <-> 50k for the ART ZDirect ....... had a good chuckle to myself ...... honeslty, I'll probably just grab whichever one is in stock locally.

Gotta love specs from manuals though ..... :)

Ben

Hi MirekGR10

Really great to have another option - the website states:-

" ......... The Zdirects audio transformer has an extremely flat and wide frequency response [ 10Hz –50kHz, +/-.5dB @ +4dBu ]and can handle high signal levels while still maintaining an isolated balanced low impedance output. This gives the Zdirect a very clean and neutral sound ........ a [switchable / bypassable] Bessel filter on the output is placed out of the audio range and is primarily intended to reduce radio frequency interference before it gets into the main system. The filter is also very effective in reducing any digital computer noise artefacts when using the Zdirect as an interface between a computer based audio workstation and your monitors ...... "

Thanks again.

Ben

Hi all !

Just quick heads up - and good news

I "tweeted" Michael Britt the other day and asked the following question and got the following response:-

@MBrittProfiles Hi.AWESOME KPA profiles on your site. I'll be using my own 2 x 12 Marshall cab.Are your profiles MIC and DI or only MIC ?

@benifinso far just mics. Just starting to do DI profiles

Great to know that with 2.8x / 3.0 ...... that someone with Michaels access to such great amps + Michaels great ear will [hopefully eventually] be releasing some no doubt brilliant sounding DI profiles for us mere mortals to buy and use :) ....... great to know.

No doubt that once 3.0 is "official" [ or even sooner actually ] that pretty much all "profilers" will re-do their existing rigs, and all their forthcoming rigs, in both full + DI mode for the new profiling format.

Actually - maybe we'll actually get really lucky and Kemper [ hint hint !! ] will re-do all their Factory Rigs in both full + DI modes
    :)

Ben

Thanks HappyKemper & Troy_e & others

Great to know this about the Behringer Ultra G100.

What was really surprising to me is that:

Re: the Radial JDX -> http://www.radialeng.com/jdx.php -> " ....... The signal is then processed via a carefully designed multi-stage filter to emulate the tone of a 4x12 half stack cabinet ....... "

Re: the Palmer PDI-09 -> http://www.palmergear.com/images/manuals/pdi09.pdf -> " ........ The NORMAL setting achieves the linear response characteristics similar to that of an open “2x12”cabinet. The MELLOW setting would produce a speaker sound much like that of the vintageAmerican speakers that tend to deliver a warmer, softer sound. Us the BRIGHT setting if you want themore crunchy, aggressive sound associated with a typical British speaker. ...... "

Why the manufacturers [ Radial and Palmer ] don't just put a simple " full tonal bypass " switch on each of these units ...... yet Behringer does .... well ......... I doubt it would add anything to the cost of manufacturing ..... and even if it did add a miniscule amount, it is actually a really good selling feature which would attract more buyers ...... go figure !!!

Many thanks again.

Ben

Hi all !

Re: DI Profiling Your Amp " Post-Power-Amp-Pre-Speaker "

Once my KPA arrives [ still a few days away ] I will load up 2.8x and start doing some DI profiling of my amps.

Given 2.8x beta is already here - and 3.0 will further improve this feature, can I please ask for a DI recommendation.

=> the Radial JDX ( ~$200 ) and the Palmer PDI-09 ( ~$200 ) both have non-bypassable cab simming or filtering [ so for both, the DI signal is colored ]

=> ironically, the much cheaper Behringer ( $50 ) Ultra G100 does have by-passable cab simming [ no coloring of the DI signal ]

As I don't know much about these sorts of DI's Im wondering:-

=> would there be any sonic-audio-profiling-quailty issues re: Profiling with a transparent DI like the "cheap" Behringer DI [ Ultra G100 ] " unit ?

=> anyone here know of any other alternative DI for this purpose that is totally cab / filter free ?

Any thoughts / suggestions / ideas ?

Thanks again,
    Ben

Yep - my comment about the FRFR cab makers was a poor attempt at humor :) :(

The brilliant thing with 3.0. is that for live use *if* (a) you want to use post-speaker-full-rig-and-cab profiles and run them through a FRFR cab you can - no change there- but now with 3.0 you can (b) load up a pure-post-power-amp-only-DI profile and run it through something like a Class D amp. [ ie: Quilter Tone Block ] and then into your own real guitar speaker cab [I have a great 2 x 12 Weber Alnico + Celestion Ceramic]. and it will sound like a "real" tube pumping in to an actually real (non-FRFR] guitar cab.

Prior to the 3.0 FW (b) above was only possible by letting an algorithm makes its best guess - hence the hit/miss nature of running DI profiles live without FRFR cabs....... now the algorithm is replaced by actual real-world hardware separation ...... no mathematical and digital guessing needed.

That's why for people like me who plan to replace their existing tube heads [ and even most of my efx ] with a Kemper for live use but who also want to keep using their awesome sounding guitar cabs and speakers, this is a big, big game-changer .

I have no doubt that with 3.0 we will now start to see all new profiles [ free or bought ]. come in "full" mode and "DI" mode .......... not to mention that as long as you have a good suitable DI like a Radial JDX or a PDI 09. Or an Ultra G100 or similar, profiling your own or your colleagues amps now could not be easier ie: no mic issues, mic placement issues, mic pre-issues, room-reflexion issues, room acoustic issues etc........

Good times !!!! :)

Ben

Hi Zappledan.

I'm more than happy to be corrected, but my understating is as follows:-

Took me a couple of reads of the attachment in the release note, but here it is:-

The current profiling algorithm and methodology automatically splits the profile into two portions: an
    Amplifier Profile and a Cabinet Profile - it does this regardless of whether your are profiling with a mic in front of the speaker -or- with a DI after the power-amp-but-before-the-speaker.

Then the current Cab Driver algorithm does its best to guess / estimate the best separation point between the amp and the speaker.

This is the reason that current DI profiles dont sound "quite right". To elaborate further, even though there is no speaker being mic'ed when doing a DI profile, the current Cab Driver algorithm will still guess / calculate and then apply its best seperation point between the amp and the speaker .... except of course that with current DI profiles there is no speaker to separate out as it was done with a DI

Firmware revision 3.0 "fixes" this

3.0 enables perfect separation between DI Amplifier Profiles and Cabinet Profiles as any new profiles created without a speaker cabinet [referred to as "Direct Amp Profiles" ] are automatically assigned to the Amplifier Module only with the Cabinet Module switched off and totally out of the algorithm.

So ..... in short, with 3.0 Firmware - anyone can super-easily DI profile their own head and then run it through their own power amp [ like a Quilter Tone block ]. of choice and their own real proper guitar speaker cab of choice [ no FRFR cabs needed ] and it will " Kemper'ize " their own amp as close as a Kemper can.

You can still profile the usual way too if you prefer and are using. FRFR cab.

In short - for live use, with 3.0 - you can now go post-speaker full amp rig tone of your choice to FOH [and foldlback or your in-ears if you want ] -and- amp profile of your choice in to your own real existing guitar amp cab for you on stage.

3.0 now makes the Kemper a true and real Amp duplicator / replacer for guitarists to use live as they
    want.

The only losers that I can see are the FRFR cab makers as guitarists will now be able to use their own real cabs on stage as they always have and get the full Kemper benefit live, whilst at the same time, giving the FOH / Foldback / In Ears the full post-speaker profile at the same time as they get. "their own real deal" next to them :)

My Kemper doesn't arrive for a few more days yet, but the above is my understanding of the new 3.0 world.

Please - if I am wrong - someone please tell me :)

Thanks, Ben

Hey all - first post here - found this forum from TGP.

I have a Kemper on the way and was just doing some research.

Im going to use the KPA with my own actual "normal" [ non-FRFR cab ] 2 x 12 guitar cab and a Quilter Toneblock 200

The website says:- " Play it live - The monitor output supplies a cab sim free signal for your (build-in) power-amp and cabinet on stage, while the FOH receives your signal with the cab sim intact. "

It seems that %99.99 of all profiles I have seen anywhere are all " mic-in-front-of-speaker " profiles and not amp-only-DI profiles.

Given I will be using my own real / proper guitar cab [ 2 x 12 Weber Blue and Celestion Ceramic ] is the above bolded website info real / correct. ?

- does this mean that the KPA profiles are now 2-in-1 being a DI and non-DI version ?

- if not, are they saying that the profiling methodology is able to perfectly separate the cab tone from the amp tone even though the profile was done with a mic ?

-is this something new in. 2.7.4 ?

- is this even possible ?

- for those also doing what I do, how does it sound going out from the. Monitor-Cab-Free output ?

If the above is all true and good and real, it will be fantastic for people like me who want to use real-existing-guitar-speaker-cabs live on stage.

Ben