Posts by Monkey_Man

... and if all else fails, Guido's heavy profiles have as much if not more punch than any others I've heard, IMHO.

The energy of these profiles is palpable at any volume.

Well Skoczy, I think the real value of what Gianfranco has done is to provide a reference DI signal that we can use in troubleshooting.

If, say, somebody claims his / her unit "sounds funny" in some way or another, both he / she and we can pop this file through our Kempers to see if the issue manifests on both ends. If the Rig in question isn't on the exchange or a factory one (home-made, for example), it can be shared via attachment or placed in the exchange so we can all use the same signal as well as Rig. This ought to help very much in exposing (or otherwise) noise / glitch / hiss / scratchiness / volume / tone or response issues.

This was the general idea back when we discussed it last year, IIRC; I was keen for this to happen both for this reason as well as for general tweaking / auditioning without having to play.

Well, don't eat too much Bert; we'll need you to be in tip-top shape if you're ever going to do it again... profile that is. :D

Hey man, I choose to live in a world where Bert needs a whole new bunch of amps for his session work and will profile those, road test them and then send a new pack out. You're really bringing me down with all this "reality" garbage! :D

Sorry Maxy. LOL

There's still room for a bit 'o fantasy 'though, it seems, as Bert has confirmed above. I'll join you in the lobby, but be sure to bring your Kemper; it could be a long wait... :/

In case anyone's missed the bleedin' obvious:

This behaviour ensures that no parameters involved jump unnaturally to new values when you touch or move your control pedal.

In my experience, as basic a need as this behaviour is, attention to detail in virtually every other product I've owned hasn't been sufficient to have addressed this issue. This goes for synths and all other gear sporting control knobs or sliders, or devices that can be controlled externally as well.

In fact, I can't think of a single device that scales a reduced range on the fly this way.

Bravo, Kemper Team!™ 8o

Gear slut!

Shame on you! :D

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening unless Bert decides to borrow or hire amps specifically for this purpose.

He has, after all, shared (as far as we know) the profiles based on his amp collection that he's been using for years on his sessions. The refinement of the tones was borne out of practical session experience using these amps. Unless and until he finds it necessary to use different amps due to shortcomings of his existing "tone base", I reckon he'll continue to record with what he's got or the profiles thereof.

Thanks Nicky! Yeah, my sound is inching closer and closer to old school thrash/metal. These three songs I'm finishing up are more punk sounding due to the pace/feel, but the other stuff I'm working on is a little different. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Hey no worries, man.

I forgot to mention that I thought the energy level of the rhythm guitar was great; it really sounded like it was pushing some serious air. Fantastic!

I can sleep better, now. I was concerned that I might be neglecting the care and feeding of a bunch of little gnomes living inside the KPA, responsible for recording and maintaining the memory states. :thumbup:

Ha!

I don't worry about gnomes; the Kemper Team™ has created an unfriendly environment for them within our beasties. Still, if one got trapped in there it could rot and the stench could attract something I genuinely fear...

Gremlins! =O

Thank you, db.

I bought the mag every month for 10 years 'till I couldn't justify (and afford) it any more. DP's monthly usage tips were squeezed out when Reaper hit the market (for free). The tips still appear from time to time, but not every month. On the plus side, Robin "Biggie" (that's what I call him) Bigwood, it seems, still gets to forward a review when integer releases of DP occur. I assume this one's for DP9?

No matter; I'll check it out once the article becomes available for free in a few months. I rarely read reviews on DP these days as my long-term choice was made 15 years ago - MOTU all the way for MIDI and audio I/O hardware and DP for DAW.

Glad to hear you're having fun recording... guitar no less(!) with your new baby, SO3, db!

Hey KoMa, I like the name of your band!

I'm not used to hearing the words "monkey" and "class" in the same sentence, except of course when folks say I have no class. :D

and guido , great tunes on soundcloud , youre an amazing guitarist ! diggin it

Yup. He's the Maestro!

Monkey_Man - that's what I meant... where is Lance Link Secret Chimp hiding??

I can only hope that when I release an album one day folks will hype it up for me. Perhaps I should pay Bobbo to start generating some hyperbole right now to get the momentus-titty-yum going... :D

No worries there, mate:

30 mins play time with the Kemper, 3 mins with the wife, and back to the Kemper. A man's gotta get his priorities right. :D

I know how you feel Rusty. What you suggested sounds about right, but be sure to create one or more favourites folders in Rig Manager. That way you can store the best, say, clean, crunch, dirty, song / artist Rigs you come across. As the fave folders become bloated, you go through them and ruthlessly delete to cull 'em.

I recommend muting (switching off) then locking the stomp and FX slots so your comparative judgements aren't influenced by fairy dust. I keep one of the stock Kemper wahs locked in slot 1, and mute and lock everything else. I only keep the wah there in case my brother "Fingers" gets an itchy foot.

I also set Pure Cab on 3.9->4.0 and leave it there as an insurance policy against phase issues induced by less-than-perfect micing technique employed by profilers. It's not a high setting, but it's enough to take the edge off some of that high-end harshness of some Rigs a little. This phenomenon is much less common with commercial profiles, as you might expect.

This is how I "manage" RM and auditioning anyway. Hopefully it helps you settle on a method of your own.