Studio One 3 - Demo of Pro

• Im a Pro Tools lover i must admit, When i was 14 i tried N-track lol (it was cheap) and i also tried Cubase, but being the industry standard i moved on to PT. I've never wanted to learn my way round another DAW as its taking me long enough to get where i am with pro tools as it is. Like Andy mentioned Avid have screwed their customer base quite a bit with somethings and then again so have Waves plugins. I see lots of bashing of these two companies on forums and ive had run ins with both of them. IMO what ever DAW you get used to is the one that you normally stay with.

• I hear you all you guy's. I started in Pro-Tools and quickly got mad that they were releasing new versions every 10 minutes. Got too expensive too fast. I used Logic for awhile, which I really liked, but I switched to windows and that was that. I've always liked the intuitive layout of Studio one, but am currently deciding between that and Reaper.

I'll just have to bite the bullet and marry one :wacko:

• Well, if this is a DAW show and tell, here's my contribution to the class:
    I started out on Cubase on the good old ST, eventually switching to Cubase Audio on PC (which sucked badly). For a while I used Acid Pro before it was Sony branded, but back then it was very loop orientated and not so flexible for audio streams, so then a school mate turned me on to Cakewalk. I loved it for its audio editing (although looking back it was very clunky), and the natural progression was to upgrade to Sonar. Once I started to get serious however, I had to switch to Mac (that's what all the pros had back then!) so I bought the fastest available (dual 2.0 GHz G5) and Logic 6.4
    I'd tried Logic 5 on PC after a programmer I'd worked with sang its praises over Pro Tools, but never 'got' it. A steep learning curve, but I got on with 6.4 and have been locked in to all the upgrades since. Better the devil you know, even though in my sound design day job I use Pro Tools HD 11 and miss a LOT of the audio editing facilities when I switch back to Logic X.
    I'd love to have the patience to try out one of the other, newer DAWs that don't have their DNA tainted with old, analogue workflows, but I think that my brain couldn't handle another set of shortcuts! Speaking of which, I forgot about a brief flirt with Reason, though that was pre Record/audio. Now that was fun, paradoxically enough!

• Yup. Avid and Waves appear to be in a class of their own... when it comes to screwing customers.

I just remembered that it was Edit Track first for me on the ATARI, then CueBalls; I reckon many folks of that era went that route.

SOS this month has an article on the latest Digital Performer if you wanted to check it out.

• Thank you, db.

I bought the mag every month for 10 years 'till I couldn't justify (and afford) it any more. DP's monthly usage tips were squeezed out when Reaper hit the market (for free). The tips still appear from time to time, but not every month. On the plus side, Robin "Biggie" (that's what I call him) Bigwood, it seems, still gets to forward a review when integer releases of DP occur. I assume this one's for DP9?

No matter; I'll check it out once the article becomes available for free in a few months. I rarely read reviews on DP these days as my long-term choice was made 15 years ago - MOTU all the way for MIDI and audio I/O hardware and DP for DAW.

Glad to hear you're having fun recording... guitar no less(!) with your new baby, SO3, db!