Posts by Monkey_Man

I forgot earlier that there's one small request I've had since day dot, and it's not even for me, although you never know I s'pose:

A variable-slope high-pass filter in the output section and perhaps in all EQ menus. DSP doesn't get much simpler than this.

This'd be super-handy for live use, I'd imagine, enabling one-knob, simple dialling of mix-muddying thump and boomy lows out of the equation. All venues' resonances differ, so placement of said EQ at the start of the list in the output EQ menu (I'm assuming there is one!), would make sense.

Other uses might be to reduce the amp block's signal bandwidth prior to sending it to the virtual cab; the effect would differ from sending prominent lows to the cab and tweaking them out from said module.

EDIT: Might as well throw in an equivalent LPF as well while they're at it.

Once set, the parameter could possibly be locked / unlocked in the sys prefs menu; that'd be an easy fix. Most folks would set and forget this anyway. For those who do Malmsteen jobs with international orchestras, a special feature to save the tuning defaults under different names could be implemented. I'm thinking, for Yngwie, "Jam with Marty and LSO at Tokyo Dome", for instance.

Please, folks, don't ask for new buttons, or any hardware mods for that matter! What we want are solutions implementable in software, not to add to the pressure to release a new hardware unit, no? I mean, we want maximum value from what we have, right?

I've just proved (as if most of you didn't already realise this) with the above tuning solution that in theory virtually all concerns can be addressed through software. It's not like we don't have enough knobs at hand, is it?

Myself excepted, of course...

Column order in RM should be draggable.

USB-stick preset browsing should be possible, including sorting options.
    Rigs as well as the various flavours of presets should all be included, all sortable.

This would allow one to use the Kemper anywhere sans computer, with one's entire rig and preset collection at hand. That right there'd be true power, brother!

I've no issues with RM whatsoever, but have been waiting for someone to say something about that mis-dated profile.

Yes, it's dated 2015-08-29. It's highly annoying to see this at the top of my list all the time; yes, I sort by date too.

Now, if this was intentional, it's at best a clever way to promote yourself, and at worst a bloody selfish thing to do. If it was a mistake, hey, we can all relate to that.

What I'd like to see is the author of the profile edit and correct the date. If he can't do so or is uncontactable for whatever reason, I'd like to think that the Gods of Kemper could do it.

Thank you to whomever can get this one sorted!

Aha, a Springbok in OZ. :)

Nice to meet you broer. :thumbup:

The honour is all mine, boetie.

Funny you should mention Springbok as I wore my tie, which I earned when I was 13, for the first time at my mum's 3rd wedding just the other day... 35 years later! Went nicely with the $2 opportunity-shop shirt and fish-moth-bitten pants. That's what I got for smashing Blackbeard's records : a touch of class for my cheap suit. :)

I assume you've done the show by now. Hope it all went well, mate.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said, brother. Bravo!

Funny, I too was lookin' for a Marshall tone - a decent, creamy Slash-like one. The nearest I got was, I think, with the JTM45 model, with the Park not doing too badly either. The JCM model just plain sucked.

All 'round I fought the scratchiness just as you did, and probably for a similar amount of time. Oh, how different our lives would have been had we known what we were missing out on, eh?

Take care mate, and enjoy the new love of your life,
    Nicky

Curious: what would be the Option for? do you think it would be unwanted under some circumstances?
    :)

Yes, indeed it would.

An example might be where you've stored, say, your favourite / heaviest or whatever rig in the last slot. For the sake of argument, you might have placed your fave clean rig in the first slot. By turning wrap-around off, you'd be able to rely on these end-stops' being there, even if you're turning the dial without looking; you may even be blind.

Further to this, if you cluster a bunch of rigs at either or both ends of the "list", just as I mentioned before, you could quickly reach them and then, knowing how you've arranged them, scroll x number of clicks back (or forward) to call up a specific rig... all without looking.

This was what I was thinking of when I suggested the Sys Pref off / on option.

For visually handicapped people "wrap around" is a nightmare. Therefore, 'wrap around' was decided against. Nevertheless there could be a kind of shortcut of that, but this needs to be discussed.

Well, I'll never. There ya go.

Ha! You seem to think similarly to me, mate.

Even on my "meagre" budget, where it takes years to save between purchases, my patience and ambition are my worst enemies. I want to do it right, and to do the music I'll be making justice as opposed to churning out 2nd-rate waffle made with sub-par equipment in the hope that a sugar daddy in the form of a record company or whatever'd step in to save the day... someday. Sure, I'll be starting 30 years late due to unavoidable hold-ups as well, but I figure once the ball starts rollin', it won't stop. Success for me will be defined by the ability to kick back in the lounge room, pop one of my songs on the hi-fi and... be satisfied. That's all. I only want to impress myself!

Anyway, I've been checking out some reviews on the Yammy DTX900 / 950 kits. They look pretty good. Big pads (just as you like), and 3-way triggering on all of them. Even the cymbals (all of them) are 3-zone. Looks the biz, as well as being built like the proverbial brick craphouse. Half the price of the Rolly, I think, and loaded with more "natural" kits.

How one of these puppies would be used to track VIs (and overdub parts) whilst using the onboard sounds for latency-free monitoring is still a bit of a mystery to me, especially as I'll be replacing the MOTU I/O with the same company's AVB system, which is hugely sophisticated in its routing abilities... and confusing to me!

Now, I wanted to mention the Yamaha option for your purposes to you for two reasons:

1) The naturalness of the sounds, which, in a pinch, might be passable on a gig, but would definitely suffice for monitoring whilst tracking to a VI, IMHO.

2) That A2E setup you're contemplating's gonna be noisy, something I suspect doesn't matter to you, but if it does in any way, the Yammies seem to be the quietest eKits out there, and possibly by quite some margin.

Just puttin' this out there for ya, bud.

Oh well, guess it's time to check back in on the VDrums thread and see if anything's been added. Thank you for the chat, Redoubt.

Well, you're definitely not a simpleton, my dear fellow!

So articulate. Your punctuation and grammar are impeccable; I especially like your use of the semicolon and correct placement of the apostrophe indicating plural possession. Bravo!

More seriously 'though, I think the reason you're finding more diversity in the Kemper's tones right out of the box is that, as opposed to the AFX's limited, albeit comprehensive set of modelled components or interactive building blocks, the Kemper's profiles are "captures" of real-world rigs, the components of which, along with their natural ageing, oxidisation, dirtiness and so on, are literally, especially if worn-in, one-offs. By this I mean that to model a single real-world rig to the extent that all these and many other variables are taken into account, and their inter-dependencies and interactions accurately reproduced, would be quite a feat; the result would have to sound like the real thing or a Kemper. Now, imagine doing this modelling for, let's be conservative and say, 50 different setups (as opposed to "amps", 'cause every setup or rig is unique in its sound). Even if you could achieve 100% real-world accuracy after the many thousands of hours' work you'd have put into it, you'd still have, what, 8 000+ rigs to go in order to match the sheer variety of what our beloved Kempers offer us... for free. Then there're the many thousands of commercial profiles out there.

Just figured, although I know I'm preachin' to the choir, it'd be fun to put this into some sort of context, especially one that all those wannabe modellers out there could relate to. Happy modelling, folks. I'm figuring thousands of coffees and a few years off your lives will get you part-way there. Might be worth a try, no? Don't forget to rehydrate following all that caffeine or you'll end up looking like prunes.

Thank you for the fun read, Stringtheorist; I enjoyed it so much I felt I had to provide something in return.

Take care man,
    Nicky

Well, I'm 2 months late to the party also, but first up:

Ale, I think you made a sensible choice for your situation with the Yammys. I've always admired Yamaha's quality control and build quality. The service is excellent too should you run into any issues, which you won't.

Congratulations, and enjoy, mate!

100% agree My focal's are simply amazing sounding with a huge tight bottom.

So tempting to go there... but I won't.

Similar situation with my Opals. Started saving my pennies for 'em the day they first came out, and after, I don't know, 5-7 years (lost count!) I was finally able to get 'em last year. No need for subs here, mate. Ear plugs, maybe, but not subs.

They have a notched sensitivity / operating-range switch that goes from 1 to 5. I run 'em on 1, and have never been brave enough to go to (or even heard 'em at)... 2... or beyond...

Late to the party, but I think my Dynaudio BM5As are really really good. The Kemper sounds excellent through them and you can hear a lot of the little details as much as the big ones.

Classy monitors. Hankered after them for many years until the Opals appeared on the market. Good stuff, man.

My room on the other hand is a monstrosity. I'd treat them, but now there isn't any point.

Yeah, the mids in my room are hugely terrible, especially the shrill, high mids. The top end's not great either.

My solution is to sit close to the monitors to reduce the amount of room I hear, and to run 'em quietly so as to not excite the room modes.

Hi MKB, and welcome mate!

... have been so frustrated at all the lost time trying to tweak good tones from the Line 6 gear. In the short time I've used the Kemper, it is promising to be a killer product.

Take a look at my sig, mate. Lost many years through editing and also trying to get Variaxes that actually worked!

Kept 2 Variaxes in the end after going through 6 over a period of 7 years, but those PODs simply have to go. I'm so over it, even 'though I bought everything since POD v1.0.

I chipped in on the thread over at the L6 forum ("Leaving the HD500 for Kemper" or something like that) to thank them for having me for many years. Unfortunately all previous posts were lost when the forum changed / moved across to its "new location" or something, so I looked like a noob with 0 posts, which is kinda funny after 20 years of using L6 gear since its first physical product hit the market.

Kinda sums it up well, really, 'cause I've nothing to show for all those years of editing anyway!

Enjoy the real deal, mate. Our battle is finally over. The only problem you'll have now is that you'll have too many tones to choose from, which is the other extreme to where L6 sits, but a problem I'd much rather have, any day!
    Nicky

Wow.

I've heard of bots but not sure I've ever seen one... 'til now. Amazing. What a waste of forum space.

I wonder if the 10 pages thus far can be removed completely, rather than chew up the space and become an annoyance?

EDIT: I can't help but wonder how the bot made it through the serial # screen... or perhaps it didn't? Not sure for this section of the forum.

Yeah, here too mate.

You've probably seen all the responses that suddenly appeared in that thread I pointed you to, no?

Starting to wonder whether I should forget about module sounds altogether and, as you suggest, just use the brain for interpretation to MIDI and even for replay from MIDI whilst song-building, and then trigger SSD or whatever later on.

It's a friggin' minefield out there. So many options. Definitely confused, so glad there's no major hurry.