Posts by mikegrahamguitar

It depends which type of signal you want to record.
    The dry stack signal of the Profiler is mono. Only if you use any of the effects (X,MOD,Delay,Reverb) the signal turns into stereo.

I do use the built-in effects. To get the most out of the effects is it better to record in stereo?

The digital signal coming out of the Profiler is being converted into an analog signal in your audio interface. Apparently the DA converter of your audio interface sounds different from the one that is being used in the Profiler. The same goes for the headphone output amp.

Thanks for the response but why would my interface be converting the digital signal to analog? I though the whole point of SPDIF was to avoid that. When using SPDIF is the chain not as follows: analog (guitar) - Digital (Kemper) - Digital (Audio Interface) - Digital (DAW)?

More likely, it's du to the impedance of your interface's headphone output being different from that of your kemper. Or alternatively because the output settings are different between spdif and heaphone outputs.

I think this sounds more likely - either impedance or output settings. I'll check output levels. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I use SPDIF to record from my Kemper. Last night I was having a jam and decided to just plug my headphones directly into the Kemper for a change. The sound quality seemed much better than usual, which was weird. The sound I get from SPDIF is great but there did seem to be an improvement when I listened via the Kemper. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the replies guys.

In the output / master section you might want to configure SPDIF:

"Output Volume and Output Volume Link are also available for S/PDIF OUT."

I am not aware that S/PDIF needed additional leveling. Set the proper gain stage at the Kemper and just send it. The Audio interface should take the bit stream as is.

@SpinnerDeluxe I'll have a go configuring SPDIF in the output/master section.

Also, when you say, 'Set the proper gain stage at the Kemper', how does one go about that? :/

Is it just a case of having the selected profile at a satisfactory volume while ensuring the output LED doesn't flash red? Thanks!

Hello fellow profilers,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding setting gain structure when recording with the Kemper.

I use SPDIF from the Kemper to an audio interface to Logic Pro X. As far as I'm aware, while recording, you want your level to be around -18 DBFS, which you can then turn up during mixing.

I have a couple of questions:

1. When the Kemper is connected to my audio interface using the SPDIF output, the Master Volume on the Kemper does not impact the signal going into the audio interface. Is that meant to be the case? I can adjust the level using the volume knob for the individual profile but the master volume knob has no effect.

2. To set the appropriate level for recording, should I just turn down the level on my audio interface or should I also turn down the volume of the individual profile on my Kemper?

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks for this nightlight. I got to stage 3 and ran into a problem. I was hoping you could help?

I'm using SPDIF cables, a Roland Quad Capture and Logic Pro X to reamp. However, when I press play on my DAW I can't hear any sound.

The DI signal I have recorded is a stereo track. I have set the output of that track to 3-4 which should be the output that feeds into the Kemper. I've set the input on the Kemper to "SPDIF Input Reamp".

Could it be because the DI track is stereo and not mono? I'm new to the Kemper Profiler, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've watched the reamping tutorial video like 20 times now lol

Cheers,

Mike

Hi guys,

I mainly play blues, jazz and hard rock. Are there any rig bundles out there that cover all three of these? I'm new to Kemper and find the choice of rigs a bit overwhelming. I don't know where to start! 8o

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Michael_dk,

I started reading the thread you directed me to. I've a few beginner questions:

1. You wrote "1) Let's assume that you record like me, which is to a stereo track, where the DI signal is on the left, and the "amp" signal is on the right."

How do I do this using spdif?

2. I see you are using a Focusrite Safire interface and Mix Control software.

I don't have either of these. I'm using a Roland Quad Capture, which just has a control panel. Can I use your method of recording and reamping using my current set up?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.

I'm new to Kemper and relatively new to home recording. I've watched both tutorials and I'll now read through the guide in your signature, Michael-dk.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks,

Mike

Hi everyone,

I am using my Kemper with a Quad-Capture Interface and Logic Pro X. I'm connecting the Kemper to the Quad-Capture using a S/PDIF cable.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice on how to achieve the following:

1. I would like to record a dry guitar signal via the Kemper into Logic Pro X so I can edit the rigs I use at a later date.
    2. While recording I would also like to be able to hear the current rig selection so I can get a feel for the sound rather than just hearing the dry signal.

Is this possible and if so can someone explain how to achieve this?

Cheers,

Mike