Posts by yeky83

FYI a Kemper that couldn't profile would need basically the same amount of memory, tech, I/O, connection options, etc. But yup, a powered Kemper Stage would be great.

The SD-1 and TS808 sound the same at the settings shown in the Addendum pictures? lol if you've used them you know that ain't true.

While I have no doubt the new Kemper Drive sounds great, it purports to sound identical with various pedals with just a twist of the drive and EQ settings... no it won't. The Addendum lists various pedals under one umbrella, but they're pedals with different clipping topologies leading to verifiably different sounds.

CK's said before "Our Green Scream is really spot on," but we all know it ain't. When I read in the Addendum "These presets are sonically indistinguishable from the originals," I can't help but think this is another claim that ain't. It probably sounds great though, looking forward to trying it out.

Can anyone tell me what the Slim Down parameter is actually doing? The description is really unclear. Intensifies the tilt filter how? What's it slimming down exactly?

depending on the circuit in question, fuzzes can be very sensitive to changes of the guitar's volume pot for exsample (all Fuzz Face circuits like Fuzz Factory etc.) while others don't really care that much and actually just lower the gain quite evenly (more modern fuzzes like Narwhal Industries Pandemic Fuzz)

General statements about fuzzes will only get you so far, because for every 'rule' (guitarists sure do love those) there's at least a dozen exceptions to it if you look long enough or your fuzz collection is large enough :D

Yup I made a generalization, but I think it's a fair one given that most classic fuzzes behave as I described.

I think the biggest challenge is going to be in the fuzz department, some of these devices really need to be first in line before the KPA input, I have a Basic Audio scarab deluxe that’s based on a tone bender circurt, love it but absolutely useless in a effects loop.

I also have a Fulltone Octavia and would love to see Kempers take on an Octave fuzz, sometimes gotta get my Jimi on.

My J.Rocket Archer Klone works fine in a loop.

Fuzzes sound like they do because of its impedance interaction with the guitar. Its low input impedance makes for an interactive filter that changes with the position of your guitar's volume knob.

The Kemper has a high input impedance, which is great but it's never going to replicate the impedance relationship and the resulting filter. So even if they put out a killer sounding fuzz it won't do the interactive thing guitarists like about fuzzes.

So you're trying to run the Kone from Speaker Out and Mesa from Main Out simultaneously, yes?

And turning the Cab off sucks for the Kone, and turning it on sucks for the Mesa.

Try downloading what's called a neutral or null IR, which is an IR that has no coloration as if it's bypassed. Convert it with Kemper Cab Maker utility, and load it into Kemper's Cab section. Now with it loaded, even though you have the Cab on it should be as if you had it off. Both Kone and Mesa will work simultaneously.

Here's some links to get the neutral/null IR:

https://www.strymon.net/faq/by…-with-a-null-cab-ir-file/

http://www.greendog.co.uk/af/cabirs.php#neutralcabirs

EDIT: Also to add, lock the Cab module after you load the null IR so you can flip through Rigs without having to load the IR all the time.

How about a Kemper AmpStack pedal for $600, a viable product in your eyes amongst the competition? Or $800 and make it powered, play in the Amp1 market? Oo that one's kind of fun :P

But yeah, it doesn't seem like Kemper is interested in making a me-too product for the sake of profit.

I am OK with you (or others) believing that my suggestion "makes no sense". I am fine with your critique; however, I can't fail to notice your lack of substantive content on your own suggestions.

The fact that I am a product manager does not make me right btw. It does make me knowledgeable about how to make a profitable product lineup though.

Sorry to be a naysayer, and you're right, I don't have much of an original idea wrt this topic. I think the often mentioned Kemper AmpStack-only pedal would make sense in terms of using existing IP and BOM to make a lower priced product... But I don't know how it would perform in the market with $300-400 amp pedals like the AmpliFirebox or the Iridium. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Just to specify it further for fun, 24-bit converters does not mean 24-bit or 144 dB of dynamic range. Well designed ADCs advertised with 24-bit converters typically perform at around 17-bit (104 dB, plenty wrt this thread topic so I'm wasting your time here :P), and the theoretical limit of converters is 20-bit which you get with the really expensive stuff.

Soft clipper circuits are called ODs. Hard clippers are distortions. There's more variety in fuzzes, but they're most popularly asymmetric soft-hard clippers.

If a Clipper knob parameter could be made to blend between let's say Soft - Hard - Fuzz (with a lotta Kemper sound design expertise behind the scenes), that'd be a very flexible generic distortion. I think it'd be cool and very Kemper-like instead of having separate OD, Distortion, and Fuzz effects.

As I’ve said several times in the past, I just don’t think models of individual OD pedals is the way Kemper is likely to go if/when they issue updated OD effects.

The way they approached the Delays and Reverbs suggests that they are more likely to create some sort of super flexible generic model which users can tailor to their own requirements. This methodology would conceivably allow us to create our own versions of Koln, TS etc.

I could be wrong but it just seems much more Kemper’s style to do it this way.

I think ODs are harder to cover with a flexible generic model than Delays or Reverbs... for the same reason there's tens of thousands of amp profiles to cover the different amp distortion and EQ characteristics, rather than just a flexible generic amp model.

That said, what could be some knob parameters that would allow for such a flexible generic model? Here's some I thought of for fun:

Characteristic EQ (TS Mid Hump - BB Flat - Treble booster)

Clipping (Asymmetrical - Symmetrical - Asymmetrical )

Clipper (Soft - Hard)

Cascading Stages of Gain (1 - Multi)

Along with bass, mid, treb, pres EQ of course.

I think that would cover a lot of ground. Anything else that might be cool?

"it is still a modern AxeFX III at less than 1K .... albeit with a crippled user interface"

You have it completely backwards. The FM3 shares the exact same UI as the Axe-Fx III. And it isn't the Axe-Fx III at $1k, as it has a fraction of the power, I/O, available amp and effect blocks, etc. So... completely backwards.

Anyone can say "Kemper should come out with something for the lower priced market." Great, but what and how? It's the specifics that are worth having fun discussing, and your specifics continue to make no sense... which honestly is a strange sight to see from someone who's pulling out their product manager credentials.

I believe the Kone is moving to much air, I think I have a better sound quality with speakers for lower volume? or is the Kone also perfect for quiet playing at home/bandroom (alone with no drummer)?

Volume level's got nothing to do with whether you should choose the Kone or not. You can play it quiet if you want... there's volume knobs on the Kemper and whatever power amp you're going to use.

The general idea you're putting forth is great -- use existing IP and BOM to make a sub $1k device, which would enter Kemper into a new price bracket and sell many units, profit!

It's just that the specifics you suggest don't make much sense. Your previous suggestion was basically the Kemper Stage for $1k less, and now it's too far the other way with a multi-effects unit that can't be edited at a gig... would be pretty frustrating to use, and dunno why Kemper would want to make such a lame device.

I haven't implied any such thing. You proposed a "Kemper Mini" that's basically the same as the Kemper Stage other than being slightly smaller for $1k less. You realize then no one will buy a Kemper Stage anymore, right? lol And it'll eat into the sales of the other Kempers too? And after the main Kemper products get priced out of the market with your proposed Kemper Mini, they'd need to sell 5 times their current sales volume just to break even. If they came out with a Kemper Mini, it wouldn't be the slightly smaller Kemper Stage that you're suggesting they make.

Only you can decide what is better for your band room or home use.

What do you mean "authentic as possible?" Authentic amp & cab sounds? Or authentic DI sounds? This choice is also up for you to pursue.

Read Kemper Main Manual 7.5 page 92-93, "The Sound of Guitar Cabinets versus Mic'ed Speakers" to understand the choices you have available and why you'd choose one over another.

The Kabinet is more versatile than a regular guitar cab. With a regular guitar cab, you have one characteristic sound. With the Kabinet you have a variety of characteristic sounds with Kemper's Speaker Imprints.

FYI the Wattage Meter described in the manual is a feature inside powered Kempers. You could buy a separate wattage meter device I guess, but I wouldn't get one just to figure out what to use with the Kabinet.

Look at speaker specs from manufacturers like Celestion or Eminence, and you'll notice there's two power ratings listed -- an RMS and a rating twice the RMS called program power. You can usually pump twice the speaker's rated RMS power with program material and it should be fine. So in the case of the Kone, 200 W RMS rating should mean it'll safely handle 400 W of music/guitar pumped into it. Maybe more depending on the program material and how robust they decided to rate it. I wouldn't overthink it.

I didn‘t talk about an adapter. This is too far away from the core business and can be done with standard 3rd party hardware.

I meant that the app would also work with modelers being connected to an existing network using ethernet cables. Most mixers are connected to switches / WiFi access points and are controlled via ethernet-based protocols. So could the Kemper be, the Kemper Mini could use a built-in WiFi module, whereas older hardware could be connected to a WiFi access point. It does not matter internally as long as there is an ethernet SOCKET. The physical layer, the ethernet INTERFACE uses does not matter for the implementation of the protocol itself. :)

However, if they do it, I hope they work TCP based, otherwise syncing / handshaking is a pain. Maybe they even build upon a standard communication protocol that can be consumed by other hardware. Why reinvent the wheel ... :saint:

FYI there's a WiFi module in the Kemper Stage, see photos here: https://www.thegearpage.net/bo…ge-this-and-that.2190614/