Posts by boyce89976

I'm really surprised with guys wanting to sell the Kemper due to fizziness in Kemper tones. I don't have that issue at all. I use mostly low gain/clean amp profiles with drive pedals in front, and use the Studio EQ, with low/high cuts (generally at 90hz/8.5khz), after the amp and Stereo FX loop stomp. The fizzyness is just over 10khz, so the cut at 8.5khz pretty much kills it. Without the EQ, I get exactly what you guys are saying, but with it, it's gone. I can turn on all three drive pedals and not have any fizz (Morning Glory>Klon KTR>TS808). My live tone is full and meaty, but still cuts through the mix without being harsh or shrill.

EDIT: The Kemper profile I use the most is MBritt's Matchless SC30 BC R4 from Rig Pack 1.

Put a Studio EQ stomp in one of the blocks after the amp and set the low cut at 80hz and high cut at 8500hz.

ooooh! I can't wait to go home and try these out! Thanks!

I'll give these a try as well . Thanks for the info

I hope you like them. I will say, these tweaks are more apparent live than they are here at home, and the EQ settings are fairly profile dependent. The biggest change I got was dialing the input clean sensitivity down a little and turning the direct mix up a little. The comp stomp on for clean-ish profiles is pretty dramatic as well.

Please let me know if the settings work for you. If nothing else, I hope it gives you some ideas on how to get where you want to go.

I've had the Kemper for about the same amount of time and here's what I've done to get some additional punch out of the profiles. First, I'm using both a humbucker equipped guitar (both bridge and neck) and a humbucker/single coil guitar (bridge/neck respectively). I'm using MBritt profiles almost exclusively, and in particular clean and low gain profiles (I run a pedalboard in front of the Kemper).

1. Set input "clean sensitivity" to less than zero. I set mine to -6db (lock it so it applies to all profiles) so that the input LED never even thinks about turning red/clipping. Backing down the input clean sensitivity keeps the clean profiles from breaking up too early, and thus increases dynamics.
    2. Increase the "direct mix" parameter in the amp controls to between 1.0-2.0. This will mix in some of your "clean" guitar signal (or guitar and pedals if you're running a pedalboard into the Kemper input) which further increases punch/dynamics.
    3. Increase the "compression" parameter in the amp controls to between 1.5-2.5. This will add some "squish" or "sag" back to the amp to compensate for the above changes, while NOT affecting the dynamics of the amp.
    4. On a lot of his "clean" profiles, Michael adds a compressor stomp in stomp position 1, to give the profile some more volume and "oomph." I leave this on, but I turn the "squish" to 0, "attack" to 5, and the other first page parameter to 2.5 (I can't remember what it's called and can't get to my Kemper at the moment). I leave the other compressor parameters where they are.
    5. Place a Studio EQ in the last stomp slot (or just after your FX Loop return), and set the "low" parameter to 300hz and +1db. On some profiles (Vox-based profiles mainly), I'll set the "High" parameter to 3.35khz and +1db. Set the Low/High cuts at 80hz and 8.5khz. This adds a low-mid bump and cleans up the top end while adding some presence.

You may have tried all of this, if so, I apologize for the repetition. These steps have added a lot of punch and presence to the profiles I'm using.

Impressively close, I don't know that anyone would dispute that, but not exact.

Some people actually prefer the profile to the amp because it can add a compression which feels "tighter". Even in many comparisons people can hear a difference, they just may not be able to say which is obviously the KPA and which is obviously the amp. The most famous comparison was the Anderton's video, which was also assisted by being played through the same Victory cab. Regardless, the differences were noticed and voiced, they just didn't know which was which. Chapman, if I recall correctly, preferred the KPA tone to the amp due to the "tightening" that occurs in most of the cases.

I was a tube amp snob for a long time, until about 2 months ago, when my torn rotator just couldn't take hauling my amps around to gigs anymore. I tried the Helix first. Loved the UI, hated the time it took to get a decent sound out of if. And hated even more that my amp tweaks couldn't be saved and recalled for a different patch. I know you can copy/paste amp profiles, but that was a deal breaker for me. Plus, I have a great pedalboard that I love. So next was the Kemper. It's taken about a month to really understand each of the parameters and what they do, but it's much easier to get a great tone out it. I'm using no/low-gain tones as I'm running OD's in front of the Kemper, and every week, so far, our FOH engineer has commented on how good it sounds.

I'm sure if I listened to this test through my studio monitors and not the cheap Logitech speakers I have currently connected to my computer (I'm remodeling my music room for a dedicated recording/monitoring space), I could hear the minute differences you're talking about. But through the Logitechs, the first amp clip, and the first Kemper clip are identical to my ears.

What is the real amp your are pluggin your ODs into ?
    If this is an amp with less headroom than the DC30, the amp is probably breaking up when you are loading it with your OD, which could help sweeten this high frequencies you don't like.

I'm not sure I understand your question. The Kemper profile is the MBritt SC30 and my real amp is a HC30, so they should be identical. I set the amp clean on the neck pickup and just on the edge of breakup on the bridge pickup. My first drive is at unity, as is my 2nd drive. My 3rd drive is set above unity for a boost. The 1st and 3rd drives have the gain set to 10 o'clock, and the 2nd drive has the gain at noon.

@boyce89976 - with a Sick As, MG and a TS808, you're probably a P&W player eh?

Returning to the issue, I don't know why, but running OD pedals into the Kemper always results in some degree of noise. I know the sound you speak of and I tried to negate it with the gate and various parameter tweaks. Then I got rid of the pedals and mastered the Kemper OD stomps. That's honestly your best bet.

Haha, yes, primarily.

Yeah, there's some noise/artifacts above 9khz (especially with the SickAs). I've used the Kemper live twice now, with the settings I described above, and it sounded great. Three different FOH guys (1 last week and 2 today) were complimenting me on how good it sounds.

I'm using my full pedalboard into the Kemper (which is why I chose Kemper over Helix), and don't see changing to the Kemper's OD's at this point. Maybe one day, though.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Pardon the title, but I wasn't sure what else to call it.

I'm running a Morning Glory, Klone and aTS808 into the front of my Kemper and into an MBritt Matchless DC30 Ch2 profile, with wet effects in the Kemper's stereo loop return. The problem I was having, and getting a little frustrated by, is that the Klone (a SickAs Blackout) was adding a BUNCH of high frequency information that the amp and cab profile alone couldn't tame. Which is strange as the cab profile, in theory, should filter that out the same way the real cab does (can anyone explain why it doesn't?).

Anyway, as a result, I had to turn the treble knob on the Klone way down from how I'd run it in front of a real amp. Which bothered me as I sometimes run the Kemper and a real amp in stereo.

I added a Studio EQ after the amp. I set the low and high cut at 85hz and 9khz respectively and was able to return the Klone's tone controls to exactly how I would run them into my real DC30. I also added a small (.5 boost at 300hz and 5khz) with the same EQ.

Hope that helps anyone running OD's and distortions in front of the Kemper!

Thanks guys! Funny story, I had my tones 97% dialed in, but it was bothering me that I couldn't set my drive pedal EQ's the same with the Kemper as I do with my amps, particularly my Klon clone. I had to dial the treble back to about 10 o'clock on that one.

So I'm playing around with the Kemper, fine tuning the tone. I have a Studio EQ after the amp and loop return, and was doing some stuff with it and accidentally hit the "page" button one too many times and found three more pages of EQ that I didn't know were there... most importantly a page with High/Low cuts! Haha!

Set those to 85hz and 9khz, and very slightly boosted 300hz and 5khz, and was able to set my drive pedal EQ's exactly how I do with my amps.

I'm amazed at how deep the parameters are on this thing!

Hey Bill! (Assuming that's you)
    I tried one other time and had no luck with it. I bought a Matrix GT1000FX to run with the Welagen cab with the EVM12Ls. So it's even more a PITA to hook up now, and I'm still having the same problems using the Kemper DI Box. These last few tries not only did it try and blow my house down, but the profiler chose to make it a distorted profile. I'd turn it off and same crap. So I'm not sure at this point what to attempt next, and have just been playing with other profiles I purchased. Work has been extremely busy and I haven't been playing much either. I still have the amp, still have one CLR and still have the DI box. But otherwise haven't had the time or luck for an update.
    Chris

Hi Chris! It never even occurred to me that it was my old amp you are trying to profile! Have you tried a studio profile (with the amp, cab and mic)? I assume you have. Surprising Kemper support hasn't been any help. Too bad you're not playing as much, but hope you are still enjoying the amp. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it, might be interested in buying her back. :thumbup:

EDIT: Meant to say 'studio profile' with the amp, cab and mic all being profiled. I wonder if the amp's speaker output profiled direct is just too much for the direct box, or the input of the Kemper. Maybe a -20db pad before the direct box would help?

Hi,
    I've had my Kemper for about a month now, and I'm enjoying it so far! I'm primarily a P&W player, but do some side projects as well. Due to some shoulder issues (torn rotator) I was looking to compact my rig a little and lighten my load in/out. I originally got a Helix about a month and a half ago, but it honestly didn't sound as good as I'd hoped, and the effects, reverb especially, were just meh. Not to mention the fact that it took a lot of tweaking to get it to sound decent through IEMs, only to be told it sounded thin and lacked punch out of FOH. It sounded great recorded.

Not being completely happy with the tone, and the fact that I had some technical issues (audio dropouts), I returned it for the Kemper.

The Kemper, as you all know, sounds great through IEMs, recorded, and through FOH. I do find that I'm tweaking more than I probably should be... "this could use a little more high-end", or "this could be smoother sounding". There are so many useful parameters to tweak in the Kemper, you can really dial in some great tones. And small changes make a big difference.

Being mainly P&W, and using my pedalboard into he Kemper (love the stereo loop return) I have been struggling to find good low-gain profiles that are pedal friendly. I've purchased a few rig packs (MBritt, Kelch, TAF, etc... mostly AC30 stuff as that's more or less the standard in the genre) but wasn't getting exactly what I was looking for. A friend on TGP said he was using the MBritt SC30 channel 2 profile, so I bought MBritt's Pack 1 with the 5 Matchless SC30 profiles (my two main amps are an HC30 and a Two Rock) and BAM! It was exactly what I was looking for.

I love that it responds like an amp, the consistency of tone and the ease of setup. When I found the "direct mix" parameter in the amp section, that changed everything. That parameter alone adds so much punch and dynamics to the profile.

Anyway, that's my story. Glad to be part of the Kemper family!
    boyce89976

@heldal I'm seeing exactly the same behavior. Whenever I use RM at some point the KPA locks up. Only rebooting the KPA will restore it, typically. I just got my KPA a few weeks ago, and I'm slowly building my "favorites" list and tweaking patches for my use. Inevitably, I'll open a patch via RM, and then play it for 15 or 20 minutes fiddling with the rig controls to see what the rig is capable of. During that time, if my laptop goes into sleep mode, the KPA locks up. Thankfully, I've never lost audio, which would be a deal killer for me... can't risk losing audio during a recording session, or live for than matter.

I have never had it happen when the USB port is not being used. Hopefully, KPA will address this with a firmware update.

I'm running the latest MacBook Pro with the latest OS (Sierra).