Posts by Wheresthedug

Being a former QC owner, I can say that in my opinion a touchscreen would be a very welcome addition to the Kemper world.

The touchscreen on my QC was very responsive. I didn’t have any of the problems that people here are worrying about.

And it could be optional, of course. If Kemper implements a touchscreen, I hope they would make all the functions available via buttons and knobs as well, for those who do not like to use touchscreens.

i haven’t tried a QC (and actually have no desire to) but one thing that did strike me as potentially very good design was the way that the footswitches all serve a dual function as physical knobs for data entry.

I really hope we don't get a touch screen. A touch screen belongs in my hands because every touch screen I've tried that isn't on my phone feels clunky and horrible. I must be in the minority who actually thinks that the Kemper UI is well thought out and very good. And as a UX designer, perhaps I should be worried!

I am 100% with you. Touchscreens have no pace in critical situations like on stage, in a car etc

By activating EQ, at least my sound changes a bit on my Kemper, even though I have 0. Everywhere it's not much, but it will change. It will affect the sound of Graphic EQ more, Studio is a bit better. Maybe you have a better Kemper than I do (he's just a joke). :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6xHqnShVys5U6orlKLgapQ

something else must be going on then as a Null Test literally proves no difference in sound (ie both sounds are identical).

Not Spdif then?

SPDIF is convenient but there is little to no difference in sound quality. Sometimes I use SPDIF but mostly I use the XLR Main Outs to my Focusrite interface.

As others have said already, a decent pair of studio monitors would be a big improvement and for recording a necessity as the Kones are designed for that purpose. However, if you only want it for volume and jamming to tracks you might be OK/better with a pair of powered PA cabinets/regular FRFR speakers. This will allow you to connect them to the Focusrite and get massive volume with a relatively flat tonal balance it won’t be anywhere near as good audio quality wise as studio monitors but will give you much more volume per £ spent than studio monitors.

I don't need this function to record, I can edit it there, but this is a live performance, I would use it there. I use an electric guitar and also an electroacoustic guitar.

That is actually irrelevant to musicmad points above. What he was saying is simply that he has proved that the Studio EQ (parametric eq) and GEQ (graphic) in the Kemper have absolutely no effect on the sound when set to 0. He simply used a recording to allow a Null Test to prove it beyond the subjective “I can hear a difference” approach. The result would be exactly the same for live performance.

I also use the Kemper for acoustic and electric so I would obviously be happy to have anything that makes this work better added. However, CK has already made it clear that he believes Hi/Lw cut filters are the wrong tool to use. A GEQ or Studio EQ for the monitor output would be a valid and useful tool though.

That may be true but a hi/low cut is clearly not the right tool to use for compensating for poor stage acoustics. That must surely be the reason for having a different EQ on the monitor out than main outs. CK has clearly stated that he sees no valid case for hi/low cuts to be different on the monitor out. Therefore, i wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for this feature to be added. On the other hand a strong valid case can be made for adding either a GEQ or PEQ to tame stage issues. If enough users framed the request that way they might have more success convincing CK to add an EQ.

more eq's in more places without having to sacrifice our precious blocks is a common recurrence I'm seeing.

To be honest that’s not something that really interest me personally. I have never managed to use all 8 blocks for anything (although the ability to decide how many blocks are pre Stand and how many Post Stack might be nice to have). I actually fear having too many eq/compressor/gate etc in the signal path. For most things Less Is More. The idea of eqs at every point is a bit Yngwie to me - “How can less ever be more? More is More !”

I definitely do see the case for a dedicated deep EQ for the monitor out for room correction though.

ckemper was pretty clear in that thread that he sees no valid use for Hi and Low cuts on the monitor out. I have to admit that I pretty much agree with him.

I totally understand (and agree with) the point that users are making about on stage sound often being seriously compromised. This means that separate EQ for onstage would be a VERY useful feature to compensate for poor room acoustics. I have played on some truly awful sounding stages which needed a totally different EQ for on stage and FOH. However, the right tool to deal with this isn't Hi/Low cut filter but a GEQ or Parametric EQ to carefully target specific problem frequencies. A Full 31 band GEQ or a full parametric EQ would be much more reasonable request to handle the specific problem that everyone in these threads seems to be highlighting.

That sounds like a terrible idea, but ok. Note to self: Never use headphone output.

One of the topics that used to come Up regularly on the forum was “why do my headphones sound so much better straight from the KPA compared to the headphone out on my interface.” People used to hink that perhaps the KPA had a really really high quality headphone amp but it turned out that it was simply because they were hearing Space directly from the KPA but not from the interface.

SPACE is another global option that can alter your tone and is usually better set as a stomp/effect on each profile. If you normally play on a cab/monitors then switch to headphones, turning SPACE globally on will make it sound better for your noodling session.

space is automatically on for the Headphone output.

All programs (including the program that creates and implements profiles) rely on a translation of an algorithm into machine code. Most often the machine code is translated from a high level language by another program called a compiler.

If the author of the algorithm cannot refine it to improve the device’s function, the product cannot be improved.

Physical assets such as more memory and DSP might provide the algorithm a greater functional level. But only the author knows the requirements for those needs to be met. You can bet that Mr. Kemper knows the limits of his algorithm and what assets it needs to function optimally. In fact if I remember correctly I seem to remember hearing him say that adding memory and more DSP wouldn’t improve the profiling process.

Of course more memory and DSP could potentially allow for more and better effects processing. Based on Mr. Kemper’s statements however, a hardware revision simply will not improve the profiling process. That doesn’t mean a Profiler V 2 won’t be built. Just don’t expect it to make ‘better’ profiles.

I’m no computer expert (in fact I’m close o being a Luddite) but if I recall correctly CK actually said that the current DSP chip is required to make the KPA work. More modern chips aren’t as flexible or efficient for audio purposes even though they are much more powerful in other ways.