Posts by Wheresthedug

i hear what you are saying and it might be quite nice to make the GEQ behave like your GEQ of choice. Whant a Mesa 5 band no problem. What about an MXR 10 band........ etc

however, you have hi the nail n the head with your own explanation. In reality you are using the EQ to “fix” a problem area either to enhance or reduce certain frequencies. How many times are there actually 5 frequency bands that are all problematic?if that is the case there is probably a better profile to start from. It should be possible to fix an already good profile with one or two bands. Or to run two Studio EQ in series (although this obviously ties up a slot that could be used elsewhere).

i can remember the actual frequency centres for the main Kemper tone stack but I wouldn’t be surprised if they already fall in between the bands of the GEQ.

i can actually think of several good reasons for more than one morph “group” So that you can independently control individual parameters but I can’t understand why you would use morph as a way of turning effects on and off (mixing from 0 to 100% rather than just assign the effect to an on/off switch.

you have it right . Unfortunately, you can’t save the poweramp on/off status as part of an output prest which kind of defeats the whole purpose pf the presets. To be honest, I actually haven’t managed to find any use for the presets so far because the things I would want to save are all excluded.

i would be really interested to hear how/if anyone is actually using the output presets. Maybe I’m missing something really useful.

I have my PRS P22 and Parker Fly set up with magnetic PUPs into the front input. Then I put a Loop Mono in Stomp A with the Piezo into the Loop’s return (no send used). Now the Piezo can be switched in and out as required on a Rig By Rig basis.

You can also use Parallel Path to send the Piezo through one FX in Stomp B then bypass the Stack section an go straight to the output. Th magnetic PUPs bypass Stomps A and B but go through everything else from Stomp C onward.

You can also morph the mix on Parallel Path to blend the two signals in real time using an express pedal if you want.

It would be even better if Parallel Path was more flexible though so that you could decide how many FX to use on each path rather than the current fixed split. It would also be great if you could merge the two individual paths wherever you want rather than send Parallel Path straight to the output. That way you could share Delay/Reverb etc for example.

OK, got it now! I use the Toaster and have now experience of the Stage but the functionality should be the same even though some of the specific buttons may differ.

I mistakenly assumed that since Kemper moved the EQ from its own separate block into the Amp section (I believe this happened with the launch of the Stage but can’t remember for certain) that the EQ would be bypassed when the Amp section is turned off. Clearly it isn’t. However, it doesn’t change the fact that the profile you start with would have no impact on the use of the EQ when using the AS.

The EQ on the Kemper is a fixed generic tone stack which doesn’t change with the amp profile. In the donor amp (the amp that was profiled) the EQ tone stack varies from amp to amp and often from channel to channel on the same amp. However, once this is profiled the original amp’s EQ is baked into the profile itself. The Kemper EQ is more like the EQ on a mixing desk. It doesn’t matter what signal you put into it the EQ itself doesn’t change. Therefore, even if the profile was seriously mid scooped (think classic Mesa V shape graphic EQ), the tone is baked into the profile not the EQ settings or functions of the Kemper. Of course the rig may or may not have ben saved with some tweaks to the EQ but more often than not profiles start with the EQ flat so distorted or clean profiles should have no impact on the starting point for using the AS.

Many of the Rig settings such as Clean Sense are mainly guitar specific rather than profile specific so again whether the starting point is a clean or dirty profile shouldn’t really make any difference.

i still don’t understand how the Rig EQ settings are relevant. If you turn off the amp section you also turn off the EQ as it is part of the Amp block. There is no EQ in the Rig menu. How is the Rig EQ affecting the Acoustic Sim in this scenario?

Just from an eq stand point. In my opinion, the eq'ing of a clean rig will lend itself better to a good starting point for a better acoustic tone.

But with the rig bypassed the EQ is irrelevant.

Are you using the Acoustic Simulator into a profile of an amp?

I initially tried it into the profiles of some top acoustic preamps like the Fishman but even that wasn't as good as just bypassing the stack completely.

i would approach it the opposite way round. Set the profiles for full gig volume and make sure they sound awesome. Then when playing at bedroom level apply a “loudness” EQ which boosts bass and treble relative to mids. that’s the way higi “loudness buttons worked in the old days and how Two Notes contour control works on the Torpedo Reload attenuator.

Just wondering why it would matter to start with a super clean program if you're going to turn it off anyway? If you had an ENGL invader amp there and turned it off, wouldn't you have the same thing as if you had a Jazz chorus and turned it off?

you are correct. It makes no difference as the profile os bypassed completely.

you need to be systematic in tracking down the problem.

first check the Kemper itself by using a good quality set of headphones in the front panel socket. obviously headphones won’t sound the same as a speaker in a room and may not be the sound you are after but they should at least be good enough to know if the basic sound coming out of the KPA is in the ball park or totally screwed.

If headphones sound just as bad then the issue is something in the Kemper and you need to follow the full signal chain from beginning to end checking all settings.

If the headphones sound OK, then the problem isn’t the KpA but something else in you monitoring chain. Start working along the path one stage at a time until you fond the culprit. It will be tempting to jump around as each eureka moment idea hits you but don’t do it or you will miss something. Stay methodical and work through the entire signal path until you find the problem.

Finally, do you always listen in the same location or does this happen at home/rehearsal rooms/stage/etc? If you only listen in a single location such a at home then don’t underestimate how big a part the room itself plays. if you and/or the speaker are placed in the wrong point in the room you can have massive peaks and dips in the sound due to standing waves causing phase cancellations. It is entirely possible to have +/-60db at specific frequencies. If you have a huge dip in your room around 200hz for example everything will sound pretty thin no matter what you do.

if the speakers are connected with crimp on ends and fitted properly it is unlikely (though not impossible) that they are coming lose.

If you are only pushing 200w then it is also unlikely you are over loading either the amp or speakers.

stratdude may be on to something though. If you are using a regular instrument cable instead of a proper speaker cable you could easily melt the inside of the cable. This would not only cause the sound to cut out a could short and totally fry the amp. Although instrument cables and speaker cables look similar and both have regular TS connectors they are not the same thing and instrument cables should not be used to connect amps and speakers together.