Posts by Wheresthedug

The Whammy DT doesn’t use standard midi. I had a real pig of a time trying to control mine with a dedicated RJM Mastermind midi controller and eventually gave up. I contacted RJM (who were keen to help) and Digitech ( who basically said “tough that’s how we made it”). I wouldn’t fancy my chances of setting it up to change transpose intervals via midi with the Kemper.

There is no acoustic sim at the moment but I seem to remember CK saying that ths was in development and would be released at some point. No date yet though.

Somebody just profiled their acoustic tonedexter and uploaded it in another recent thread. You might want to try that one out.

Think I'll have to go back to using the LEFT XLR out into the speaker, and just have one set of patches for this band where the delays and mod FX are all mono, and another set for the other band with everything in stereo (so I can use the dual XLR outs). At least then I won't have to change the Main Outs between mono and stereo all the time.

Could you not just reduce the level of the main XLR outputs by 6db and leave it there rather than try to boost the other out to match?

Thanks Nicky. You are correct........ as usual ?. I had forgotten that the outputs sent a different level. However, that is configured inside the device rather than the result of balanced Vs unbalanced signals.

Am I correct in my understanding that simply adding a TS to XLR adapter to the unbalanced Monitor Output won’t suddenly create a second in phase signal to boost the level by approx 6db and equal the level of a balanced source with the same send level?

A true balanced signal doesn’t care what kind of connection is on the end. Two TRS, two CLRor one of each makes no difference. It is the output and input of the equipment being connected that needs to be balanced. The Monitor out is an unbalanced output. Therefore, I don’t think it makes any difference what cable adapters you use you are still sending an unbalanced signal so 6db quieter than a balanced one.

Using a TRS to XLR from the Main outs should be the same volume as an XLR to XLR from the main outs as the output is balanced in both cases.

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

As paul and others have said the feel is amazing. When I bought mine I spent nearly a whole day in the shop A/B testing with a Helix. They both sounded amazing but the Kemper just felt better and responded more like a real amp to changes in the guitar volume etc (to me anyway).

Tone Junkie have just done a video called Is the Kemper Touch Sensitive. Have a watch at that it should reassure you.

I agree with the others about the EQ also.

However, I would expand on tue gain knob a little. I assumed that turning down the gain knob on the Kemper would respond like the real amp s the Kemper captures all of the information up to the gain level at which the real amp was profiled. On the other hand it has to estimate the effect of turning up the gain beyond the original profiled amps settings. I decided to test this by making multiple profiles of a THD BiValve with the volume (it’s a non master volume head so there is no separate gain and master) at every number between 7 o’clock and 5 o’clock. I then A/B them with a higher gain profile but with the gain knob reduced to match the actual gain level of the lower gain original. What I heard was that reducing the gain on the Kemper behaved almost exactly like turning down the volume of the guitar which isn’t quite the same as adjusting the gain level on the real amp. The set of profiles are all on Rig Exchange if anyone wants to do the test themselves.

A 2:ninety is overkill for anything ?. I love mine but it a monster heavy beast and loud as hell.

It really depends on whether you want to reproduce the sound of the Kemper profiles cleanly or add the colour of another power amp on top of the power amp tones baked into the profiles themselves. There isn’t really a right or wrong answer to that. A class D power amp would be a much truer representation of the profiles but a valve power amp will add a unique character which some people really like.

If you want to hear how much the 2:ninety power amp colours the sound ty this experiment. I make some direct profiles of my 2:ninety and put them on rig exchange as an experiment. Take an OD stomp (or even better a modelling plugin from your DAW and feed the output of this into the Kemper. Start with the Stack section off then begin loading the power amp only profiles of the 2:nibety into the the Amp block with a suitable cab loaded afterwards. Listen to how big a change the 2:ninety makes to the original sound. If you like it then a valve power amp might be for you in which case a 2:ninety is a great amp.

If you want to add a valve character to you tones and are only using it for studio use something smaller like a 20:20 might be a better option.