Posts by Dogmatix

It wasn't a guess :) My guess is that I'm not making my point very well, so that's my fault. I completely understand and agree that the "interaction" is captured in the DI profile. That isn't the issue. The issue is trying to replicate that with a SS power amp. With the with the kemper, and any SS power amp, you are essentially reamping a profile of a tube amp rig through a SS power amp and guitars speakers. Since SS and Tube amps do not react in the same manner to speaker loads and impedance changes, the feel(and/or "compression" as stated by the OP) will not be the same. It is impossible to replicate that in this scenario. Simply amplifying that interaction is not the same.

I personally don't mind this sense of extra compression in the profiles. I find that it is present to varying degrees in all digital amps/modelers. Actually the Kemper does a great job of capturing a lot of nuances that some modelers miss. Assuming the profile is well done, the KPA is great.

Mr Kemper is right. You are wrong. Resonances in a load are a function of frequency, not voltage. This means you can profile this resonance (interaction) provided you’re using the same speaker and the same gain and it theoretically should be able to sound exactly the same. You can profile these resonant points as said, and then the class D power amp can just replicate this. The maths works out.

When you make a direct profile properly you connect both the speaker and the amp to the DI box, and the kemper monitors the change in voltage as you play and records these resonant points. Now I’m not arguing how well it does this, just that mathematically it can be done.

If you’ve ever tracked guitar from a normal mic’ed up amp it sounds extremely similar to using headphones on the kemper. Definitely not as nice as through a cab, but that’s the sound you get. Just tweak the profiles to be less harsh and it should be easier to play with (less definition, treble and presence) and obviously space as you said and a bit of reverb (if it’s for playing and not recording).

It will technically try to supply 1200 Watts at 4 ohms. The power amp boost is 6 dBs meaning if it’s at zero it will output 300 Watts.

4 ohms on a Marshall cab sounds better to me. Running the speakers in parallel gives better damping and more low end.

Though just running it at 16 ohms with the power amp boost max is also ok and perfectly safe.

Main thing is what sounds better.

Set your power amp boost to zero.

Use the cab’s 4 ohm input. It will work with 16 ohm as well but 4 ohm should be louder.

It shouldn’t reach maximum power unless you max out the volume which will probably be too loud. If it does the kemper will automatically cut itself off to protect itself.

You can plug the kemper into any cab. It’s 600 Watts so make sure the speakers in the cab can handle a lot of power and keep the volume low if they can’t. If you keep the kemper’s Power amp boost at 0, then the kemper can pretty safely work with a 150 watt cab at max volume.

Note that if the power exceeds the power rating of the cab the speakers might blow but the kemper itself should be fine.

It will not be damaged if you unplug the cab while it’s on (a regular amp will).

There are usually 16, 8 and 4 ohm cabs. The kemper works with any of them but towards maximum volume a 4 ohm cab might try to draw too much power from the kemper. The kemper will automatically shut off in this case but should be undamaged. This will only be when it’s very loud.

With the kemper you are more likely to damage a guitar cab (at loud volumes) than the kemper, which is quite advanced and should protect itself.

So I just updated the OS and some of the Spring and Natural Reverbs some just awesome, but most of the preset reverbs that came with it sound awful. Am I doing something wrong? I placed the reverbs before the amp stack as recommended, but it still sounds awful on most rigs. There are some melodic harmonies and chromatic harmony effects that (at least to me) are brand new and sound fabulous. Are they truly new? Are others finding some REV presets sounding awful or is it just me? Or is it rig dependent?

Either way - thank you Kemper team for your awesome FREE updating support, what a rarity in this market!

As per the updated manual only spring reverbs on a mostly clean amp should go before the amp stack to replicate the sound of old non-master volume amps with spring reverb. Other than that all should go after the amp.

A merged/direct profile is one created with a DI box. So basically for a normal studio profile the Kemper has to guess where the amp ends and the cab begins when you turn off cab simulation.

A merged/direct profile is created without the cab involved. So you theoretically get exactly what the head sounds like.

I think you should mic up an amp, listen to it with the headphones through your interface/soundcard, then profile that amp with the mic in the same position and listen to that profile with the same headphones and see how different they sound. If it’s drastic there’s clearly an issue.

Class D power stages deliver certain power across certain loads. If you turn it to max volume on a 4 ohm cab it will try to deliver 1200 Watts exceeding the limit.

The power amp has a 6 dB boost to reach maximum 600 Watts of power. This means technically, if you limit this boost to 3 dBs or less with a 4 ohm cab it should not exceed 600 Watts. (Every 3 dB doubles the power).

You’re using a random YouTube video which has had audio compressed multiple times to justify your point.

I would rather have something that samples at 44.1 khz (the absolute limit of what people can hear) properly than something that samples at a higher rate with a risk of more noise and lag.

Also very few guitar speakers go more than 5 kHz.