Posts by dB Cooper

Some random heavy riffing with the v30 Kone.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Holy smokes! I can't wait to try one.

Hello Kemper,

I've been doing a number of bass profiles lately with amps and outboard gear. Two feature I'd like to see in future OS builds are:

1) A wet/dry cab blend — Rather than just turning the Cab module on or off, could we have a blend knob to add just a touch of cab color to the direct sound? This is a common recording practice. It would be handy for acoustic guitar IRs as well.

2) A wet/dry direct blend — If I've got a highly saturated profile, I'd like to be able to blend some of my clean tone straight from the bass back into the signal for clarity. I know we have the Direct Mix option now, but with my setup, it doesn't seem to do what I'm trying to achieve. The sound is still colored and I can't achieve the blend I want.

Even just making these options available via stomps would be a godsend. Thanks for your consideration.

Not only do I agree with you, I’ll go one farther: I prefer the sound of Studio profiles even if I’m replacing the Cab module. Crazy, right? I did an experiment last year where I captured a 6505 Mini into a Two Notes Torpedo Reload (reactive loadbox) two ways: directly into the Kemper without a cab, and out of that same box into a miked speaker cab. Same settings, same signal path. I found I got more pleasing results to sub in cab IRs for the Studio profiles than the Direct.

I also tend to prefer the baked-in cab sounds running into a full-range speaker or monitor than a cab-less Rig run a traditional guitar cab, based on my experience.

I’ll echo what others have said: the mono folddown on that pedal is not great. I had one given to me and ended up giving it away after one use. By design, it’s going to mess with your timing and phase if you’re monitoring in mono.

Hi Kemper team,

I’ve been playing with the GGD Zilla Cab plug-in this week. One output option I’d love to see in future Kemper OS builds is the ability to do Stomps and Stack without the cab engaged.

Ideally, I‘d like to record Master Mono and Stack-Sans-Cab channels simultaneously over S/PDIF so I can replace and enhance sounds using 3rd party IRs and cabs within my OX.

Yes, I know it’s possible to achieve this result by recording the DI track and -re-amping. But then I’ve got to turn on Constant Latency, reverse my S/PDIF setup, and record an additional real-time pass. It would just be simpler with the output options right there.

Just throwing it out there. Thanks for all you do.

Hi Kemper team,

Now that we have a fancy new Editor and an awesome floor unit, how do we feel about adding USB direct recording to the current Kemper lineup? I transitioned to the Kemper from an Eleven Rack and miss this feature more than anything.

I'm unlearned in this area, so forgive my ignorance: is a driver all we're lacking to make audio-over-USB happen? Or is the Kemper lacking some fundamental hardware?

I've seen a few threads saying this has been "asked to death," but I wanted to bring it back to the table for 2020 in case CK's feelings had softened. Thanks for all you do!

Thanks for the mention! :)

Also, thanks for mentioning this app- I think I tried the initial version of it. I may give this a try, too :)

Of course. Thanks for being so generous with your Rigs. Just a heads-up: the tracking on the free version of the iOS App is crippled. You've got to spend about $40 in in-app purchases to get the improved performance and remove the nag screen.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just wanted to share the latest rabbit hole the Kemper has led me down the past month. NO AFFILIATION with any company mentioned here — I'm just really excited about the new world of sounds this has unlocked for me and wanted to pass on my experience.

I discovered an iOS App called MIDI Guitar 2. It converts polyphonic analog audio coming straight off the guitar to MIDI data. It also supports AUv3 inter-app audio, which means I can route that MIDI information to any synth App on my device. The tracking is really, really good, all things considered. I've bought standalone MIDI conversion devices that were straight garbage compared to this. The great thing about this App is it uses standard pickups, so I can run it from all my electrics and acoustics.

So, for setup, I'm running the Kemper's Monitor Out into channel 1 of my FRFR. Pretty standard. I'm also running a second cable from the Kemper's Direct Out, configured as a dry guitar signal output, into a volume pedal and out to a 1/4" iOS guitar interface (I'm using an old GuitarJack 2) plugged into a 2016 iPhone SE. This I run into channel 2 of of my FRFR. The results are breathtaking. For the band I play in, I'm using an App called AUM to layer multiple synth sounds (mostly IK Multimedia Syntronik) on top of my guitar, which I blend in via the volume pedal. For Sunday mornings, I've been blending sampled strings in with my acoustic guitar from an App called iSymphonic Orchestra. And since it all runs into a single speaker, I control the blend myself with my feet — no soundperson required.

Now I will say that, for as good as the tracking is, the latency is noticeable. But I feel like that's just a limitation of the hardware I'm using. With a more powerful device, like an iPad Pro or a laptop, I'll bet you could get the latency down to where you wouldn't have to "play around it."

I'm happy to answer more specific questions or take photos of my setup. If you want synth-type sounds but don't want to go down this path, definitely check out paults incredible pad and synth patches on the Rig Exchange.

it has been asked for many times already but ckemper doesn’t seem to like the idea as that’s not how a real Leslie works. However, even real Leslie cab can still be tweaked and there are more rotating speakers than just the Leslie. also many people want to use a Rotary effect as a unique effect in its own roght rather than just a faithful recreation of one specific Leslie model. I predict this will be added at some point in the future.

To be fair, the Profiler doesn't work a like a traditional guitar amp. 8o But I see where CK's coming from.

I've used the .44 Magnum and the Duncan Powerstage 170 with traditional cabs. To my ears, the Powerstage is much cleaner and has loads more output. I'm not sure the 44M would stand up to much more than club and practice duty. I also found Duncan's 3-band EQ to be useful for reining in cabs for a particular room. Of course, at $400, you're talking real money at that point. The Camplifier would certainly be a neater solution if it performs.

It's a second day of NAMM and no video/presentation of Kemper Kabinet? Or am I missing it somewhere?

I'm baffled by how there doesn't seem to be a single video out from NAMM. What, did Kemper get stuck in a utility closet this year?

Has anyone heard if the speaker virtualizations will be available to all users? I mean, surely there's not a hardware dongle that only lets you use them with the Kabinet/Kone, right? I've got a pretty flat powered FRFR that I'd like to try them on first before I pull the trigger on the new cab and speaker.

So it looks confirmed that they are passive. I was hoping they might be active. Even still — I can't wait to hear one.

They are not going to write new software that supports a soon to be deprecated OS. If you're not upgrading your OS, there will be tons of new programs that wont work soon.

+1 for this request. Kemper has been clear from the outset that there wouldn't be a Win7 version, but I'm hoping against hope they'll change their minds. There are plenty of developers who are still supporting Win7. Universal Audio just released the Windows OX app a few months ago, and it's Win7–10. That said, for me, the Editor is reason enough alone to consider updating/dual-booting a newer OS.