Posts by stratdude

Thanks.

That's cool... I guess I'm a bit more selfish in that regard, meaning that I see myself as an equally important "consumer" of my sound on stage, because it inspires me to play better / differently or to enjoy myself more (which in turn might improve playing etc).

That's my way of thinking as well, if you believe you sound awesome, then you'll play awesome, your sound reinforces your ego or something like that... Maybe it's just 'cause I grew up in the '80s

Awesome stuff, been a Nuno and Vai fan since back in the Extreme 1 and DLR days before I even started playing. It's amazing It's taken 30 years for my 2 all time fav's to start playing and collaborating together. Hope they bring their show down to Adelaide once the craziness is over!

P.S. any idea what Nuno's name is on the forum, he's on here right?

4) Second cabinet, stacked. Obviously

1st post by new user so be gentle lol. Kabinet arrives today - I have the Top Jimi everything bundle - do I want to use the merged profiles with the Kabinet or studio for most accurate sound to the recording?

Thanks in advance for answering a rookie question!

Studio or merged, whichever sounds better, I generally prefer merged through a cab or Kones, studio is probably best for foh or recording. The commercial profilers will generally say they've got more control over the end sound with studio profiles (mic selection, placement etc.)

Just remember to wire the Kones in series to get 8 ohms. If your cab is currently rated at 8 ohms then the speakers are likely 16 ohms inside and wired parallel, it's impossible to have two 8 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms.

Either way just make sure you understand series/parallel wiring before you hook it all up.

Regarding running 600w in to 2 vintage 30 speakers, your eardrums would fail before the speakers would give out, no real danger of damaging v30's

You'll be real happy with the Kones

I found the same thing when I was playing through my cab with Celestion G12S-50's. The only hi gain profile I liked was the one I made myself with my JCM800 2210 and a modded SD-1. I was borderline going to sell the Kemper until I profiled my own amp.

Now I'm running Kones I'm really liking a lot of other profiles, a particular 50w plexi profile with the gain pushed up slightly is now my go to rig. However I can't get the profile of my amp to sound any good through the kones at all. I'm only now starting to realise how dark my old speakers are and how well they're matched to the overly trebley sound of the 2210, they really throw a blanket over most other Kemper profiles though.

It makes sense that your sound through your gear is going to sound best. However awesome the Kemper is it pays to remember, particularly for hi gain sounds that the speakers and cab your playing through affect your sound possibly more than the amp itself.

One other thing I've noticed is that a lot of the hi gain rigs have been profiled with scooped mids and poor string definition/clarity (I guess that's what most other hi gain players like) hence why I tend to go for slightly lower gain rigs that sound better and then tweak the gain to taste

Check the tutorial videos on the home page, it'll make more sense than anyone trying to explain it here ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cab needs to be on, the Kemper then bypasses the cab module for monitor/speaker out if you have selected imprints. If you turn the cab off the Kemper thinks you want no speaker emulation at all (ie; for acoustic guitar etc) and turns off the imprints too.

Keep in mind when you are running Kones, the imprints are just for the Kones, the main outputs to front of house are still using the cab module, as will headphones so don't try to turn this off.

I've only used vintage 30 imprints for hi gain stuff, none of the others gelled with me, but I'm really liking a lot more profiles now that sounded meh with my G12s-50's.

Good luck!

I've found with other digital gear I was able to tweak until I could make a stacked humbucker in the bridge sound like a full humbucker.

This is impossible with the Kemper, it's just too honest, it always sounds like a single coil.

I think the answer is easy: Turn the gain up.

I've only ever seen that suggested three times on this forum, and one of those was me. It's good to see we subscribe to the same church :evil:

I've only had the Kones in a 4x12 so far, I'm about to make two oversized 2x12 cabs soon (I hate lugging 4x12's). I'm definitely after the big cab sound though, but it's easier to make a big cab sound small than vice versa with the kones, that's my theory anyway.

My plan b was to have 5 kones, a 1x12 for portability and a 4x12. I've read at least one other user going that route

I was doing something similar when I first got my Kemper switching between a cab and powered monitor, but that was using a gcx switcher (before the power amp). You could probably do something similar by panning, but you'd need a second amp obviously.

I wouldn't think switching after the speaker output would be worth the risk of damaging the power amp.

I now have 4 kones, Marshall cab is just for the Marshall now

Seen Diesel live a couple of times, was chatting to his roadie about his gear once. Can't remember what he was using sorry, too many years, too many beers