Posts by Chris Duncan

If it sounds good - it is good.

I think this is the thing that a great many people forget to focus on (less so here than in other forums or gatherings where people have strong religious feelings about what's "right" or "authentic" ).

Personally, I don't care if the sound is baked by little elves in a hollow tree. What matters is what comes out of the speakers, whether that's on the stage, FOH, or the final mix on a record.

Well, that's not entirely true...

Sure, first and foremost, how it sounds is what matters. However, once that's accomplished, there are a host of benefits to the digital world, such as being able to recall the exact same sound night after night on stage or in the studio. It's one of the reasons I don't miss the tape / analogue workflow even a little bit. No more Polaroids of mixer and outboard gear knob positions for this boy! Press a button, grab guitar, rock and roll.

I bleed ones and zeros. :)

The only other thing that would be really useful in my mind is if we could see what presets are currently linked to a performance or rig.

Chris Duncan

The question is if you can do the 1 st stomp assignment with the new editor on the screen.

Sorry to appear dumb, but I'm not sure I understand.

In the second half of his post, he was talking about what presets are linked to a performance and the concern about deleting something that was in use. Is that somehow connected to the 1st stomp assignment? I don't have a lot of experience with the stomp stuff so I'm still learning about this.

Were you maybe talking about the first part and whether or not you have to use the physical remote to assign stomps?

Need. More. Coffee. :)

If its possible, I'd liek the ability to set up the remote as well using the editor? I imagine a graphic of the remote and I can set the stomps up against the relevant switch? at present, to set up my live rig I have to unpack my remote etc.

So far, I've only been using performances to invoke profiles and haven't used the stomps. I can use Rig Manager to set the profile for a performance slot but didn't realize you had to use the physical remote hardware to configure the stomps, so I'd like to second this suggestion.

I'm unsure if I delete one that is allocated to a rig that I lose it??

My understanding was that a performance stores a copy of everything it uses. Is that not the case with all aspects?

Hmm I ordered it yesterday. I did not get any order confirmation on mail at all (checked spam mail also). Package is not even shipped (should be shipped yesterday), and it's just completed on the page. Money has been withdrawn. Wonder if there is something wrong with the ordering system. Had other problems during payment yesterday also.. Can't find a support email, only phone number?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll stick to the order number on my profile page. I guess the confirmation mail is not so important.

I assuming you're talking about the remote, I also ordered directly (they don't offer the remote separately through the normal retailers). I did receive a confirmation email from Service @ Paypal confirming the payment. I then received two separate emails from sales @ kemper-americas (I'm in the US), one with the invoice and then later one with a shipment number.

I'm not sure what part of the world you're in but it's not uncommon for auto generated emails to get delayed for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's Internet problems (given that an email has to hop across a lot of servers to get to you), other times their outbound smtp server is just slammed and it takes time to chew through them all. And of course, sometimes there's just a screw up with their email system.

I don't know if it's what you mean by the order number on your profile page, but the email from the Kemper sales team included a link to the store account, which lets you login and view the status of your order. The one below is US specific, yours might be different if you're in another region of the world.

https://shop.kempermusic.us/customer/account/login/

As for the order itself, it was in fact processed without delay and got here in a few days. As Tom Petty once put it, the waiting is the hardest part. Especially for new toys. :)

Hope this helps.

Duncan, many things very serious can happen with a frustrated neighbors. Dont joke about it. I had one that came with a gun in my face coz I was playing too loud.... Your light sense of humour disappear quickly when you got a cannon gun on your nose dude . Dont make joke about it

I'm not unfamiliar with the experience of staring down the barrel of a loaded gun (it's been an interesting life thus far).

I conduct myself appropriately when dealing with actual situations in the real world. When I'm helping people on an Internet forum (or just having conversation for fun), I prefer a lighthearted approach. There are a lot of really nice people here, and the friendly discussions alone make being part of the community worthwhile. Should any of them bang on the walls because my comments are too loud, I'll be sure to use an appropriately serious tone.

And the name's Chris. :)

I'm glad the problem is resolved. My guess is that it was temporary dirty power (utility companies aren't always consistent).

Just the same, don't forget to burn incense, sacrifice a couple of chickens and give thanks to the appropriate technical deities. Better safe than sorry. :)

my point is: since the different series are very close to begin with, part tolerances blur the lines between them, effectively creating overlaps. so who is to say what a TSx sounds like, when you can find units that are 'all over the place' - same with Fuzz Faces that on paper use the same parts.

Yeah, I totally get that. There's a lot of religion over what a "real" xyz pedal sounds like, but of course this obviously negates that entire concept.

I was just saying that the cool part about you guys emulating pedals in software is that you don't have to worry what the next batch of parts will sound like, or wonder whether or not it will totally screw up your work. You find a TSx sound that you like (after the requisite Internet forum arguments about what The One True Tone is), sling some code until you get it right, and then your hard work lives forever without being at the mercy of manufacturers.

These ones and zeros certainly have their moments. :)

Sorry...

Yes I tried that. Nothing I tried changed the noise in the slightest bit. Fearing it might me the INPUT Jack?

So with the Kemper disconnected from everything but your guitar cord, headphones and the power cord (meaning all other cables not even plugged into it whether they're used or not), you're hearing the noise in the headphones, no matter what profile you use.

Here are a few more debugging questions:

1. Does the noise still change when you "touch metal," and what metal do you touch to create that change?
    2. What is the characteristic of the noise? Is it amp hiss? Is it a buzz? 60 cycle hum?
    3. With the Kemper turned off and disconnected from everything, do you then get any noise from your DAW / computer audio / audio interface / microphones, etc?
    4. Is the Kemper and your other audio gear plugged into a common power strip / Furman rack power unit, etc?

If you get noise with the Kemper completely isolated, i.e. just a guitar cable and a pair of headphones, and no other cables plugged into it, it eliminates your computer, speakers, audio interface etc. as the source of the problem because they're not even touching the Kemper.

If the computer audio setup has noise without the Kemper connected, then it eliminates the Kemper as the source of the problem.

The next thing that comes to mind is the quality of your power itself. Perhaps the possibility of a bad power strip / dirty power to your house in general / bad wiring in your house / etc. since the power is the only common denominator between the two isolated scenarios.

Take a look at things from that angle, get me the answer to those four questions, and we'll see where that gets us.

Nobody missing Input / Output and System settings in the editor screenshot? Hope it is hidden somewhere. As well as the „Lock“ feature.

It's worth keeping in mind that the summer-ish delivery date of the editor, even though it's technically a new Rig Manager version, can really be thought of as Editor 1.0. Even if it doesn't include output or other things, it's just the first version. 1.0 is rarely meant to be the last word in what software does. Usually it just gets you a seat at the table.

Since they're clearly putting a lot of effort into this, I would imagine there will be continual enhancements as time goes on.

I've plugged the powered head into a single V30 and played at 105 - 110db, which would doubtless get you evicted from your bedroom. No problems at all, and I didn't get the sense that even that was pushing the speakers too hard.

Check to see if the various gear in the signal chain is ultimately going to the same electrical outlet. Sometimes you can pick up ground problems by going to more than one circuit.

Also, if you plug the guitar into the Kemper and listen on the Kemper headphones output, do you still hear the noise? If you then disconnect the audio outputs from the back of the Kemper while listening to the phones, does the noise go away?

The idea would be to start with the Kemper in isolation, just the guitar and headphones, nothing else connected and, assuming no noise in that scenario, adding things one at a time to see when the noise comes back.