Posts by Foxglovestudios

Great job , sounds really good

Thanks for the comments, guys!

@ ST, yes you're absolutely right. I could have played all the parts on the one guitar but changing looks at certain parts also works better from a visual point of view.

Cheers.

I posted a clip of this song recently of a gig that I did which was recorded with a camera using the camera audio. We've now recorded the song in my studio and created a proper production. I used my Kemper rack for the guitar parts.

This may not be one of Santana’s most popular instrumentals but it has always been one of my favourite songs! Thanks to my two very good friends, Dave Sharp and Larry Rose, we put together a version that I’ve wanted to do for the longest time!

My first thought was to do a completely different take on the song but after listening to the original I realised that the song is perfect so why fix what aint broke! This is therefore my tribute to a guitar player who has been and still is a great influence in my life.

The only change that we made was to the length of the song... the original version being just too short!

I hope that you enjoy our version of this beautiful song.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Great playing and great Santana-ish sound, well done! And indeed an interesting scenery. But well, I think those are the experiences that add up to you being who you are as a human and as a musician. Great idea there to celebrate something like this in those times probably for some enthusiasts. Cool thing :thumbup:8)

Nice sensitive playing and tone. Sounds expensive! Those were some lucky people who got to hear it live, social distancing certainly adds a whole new level of complexity to everything we do.

Thanks guys,

Yes, it was quite strange but it has opened a few doors in terms of doing a few more gigs like this.

The thing that I enjoyed the most is that these guys being serious audiophiles listened intently to every note that was played and were most appreciative.

My take on a Santana song – Life is a Lady

I’ve done some very interesting gigs over the years but the one I did this past Sunday was something that was quite new to me. I played straight into an extremely high end Hi FI system at HFX Systems for a few of their special clients.

The audio was captured with the video camera mic so the audio could have been a bit be better but you’ll get the idea.

My Kemper was plugged into an Allen and Heath mixing desk which was connected to two mono Mcintosh 901 Valve power amplifiers. These amps sell for roughly $17500 each!

The amps were running into the top of the range JBL Everest DD67000 speakers. These speakers are selling for roughly £70 000!

Due to social distancing etc, only 8 clients were allowed into their listening studio at a time. There was quite a queue outside the listening room so the songs had to be played quite a few times.

I don't know how to embed Facebook videos but if you click on the link it'll take you to the video.

https://www.facebook.com/peter…videos/10160103070494097/

This has been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things that I’ve done musically (for myself) during this lockdown period. Larry (drummer) and I had a lot of fun recording this. The track forms part of my next solo album which I’m busy with at the moment. It was quite tricky doing all the filming and playing but I'm quite happy with the result. I also showed which VSTs were used in the making of the track.

I was able to use the Kemper Profiler for all the guitars in the way that I think it was meant to be used, in that most of the profiles were created by me. The profiles used in this track were created from my live rig using all the various pedals etc. This device has been a revelation for me in terms of guitar tone and ease of use.

Please note, if you normally listen to three or four minute songs this is definitely not for you. The track runs for around 12 minutes and is structured into three parts.

Hope you enjoy,

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Our band performed live from my studio last week. We did our CCR Tribute via streaming and I used my Kemper rack for the first time in a "live" situation. I actually had to borrow a remote from a friend for the performance.

I used my three basic profiles - clean, crunch and solo with various effects added. I was very happy with the results. We set up four cameras - Vocals, Guitar, Bass and Drums and I edited the footage into one video. The bass went through the Line 6 Helix.

I thought that I'd share one of the tracks - Suzie Q.

Thanks, Peter. It was interesting having the Pod version for comparison (I had the Pod Pro rack mount version). I personally wouldn't classify them in terms of better or worse, but rather just two different guitar tones.

For my taste the Kemper / Marshall version felt a bit smoother and fit into the mix more easily. On the crunch parts I could also hear more of the Les Paul's character. But honestly, the differences are probably pretty subtle to anyone but us guitar folks. You could easily picture either version on the radio.

Thanks for the comments Chris. I do agree that most listeners wouldn't hear any difference but we are guitar players and we do want the best tone possible.

I think the Kemper is by far the most natural sounding as far as tone is concerned. I didn't have to eq anything, whereas the POD...

Digital modelling has certainly come a long way since the first Pod Bean. Our band recorded a track in the late 90’s using a POD2 and I remember being pretty happy with the results.The band is Off the Edge and the song is entitled "Just Another Band".

During this Covid lockdown I’ve had a bit of time on my hands and just for fun, I found the original multitrack and decided to replace all the guitars with the Kemper using my own profiles.
    While the POD sounded great for its time (and still isn’t too bad) it just shows how far things have come in the modelling/profiling world.
    I’ve added the link to the original POD version as well for comparison. This is just for interest sake and the fact that since we can’t perform in a live situation I had to find something interesting to do.
    The link to the original song with the POD2 guitars is: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6326809
    Cheers.

Peter.

I made some profiles yesterday using the Swart Atomic Space Tone. Wow, what a lovely little amp.

Here's the video of the profiling session.

Thanks! These are some useful and interesting informations. And also something to have in mind, when comparing sounds! For example when I play (your) profiles for myself, I can't expect them to sound exactly the same.

But your videos proof, that the Kemper is able to react very much the same to your picking as the original gear chain did- at least that is what I can hear.

Yes, what you might have to do is to add a little or subtract a little gain to compensate. I can say that the profile does respond quite nicely to slight tweaks with the gain control.

The Kemper has done an amazing job of capturing my own setup. Even with the "feel" side of things.

I've used modellers for many years and had a lot of success with them. I even managed to get really good recorded tone with the POD 2 and the POD HD500xX. I also liked the Helix a lot. My only gripe was the fact that I couldn't get the tone of my exact setup... until I bought the Kemper.

Foxglovestudios Watching the u-tube videos I noticed, that you have a rather unusual playing technique. It seems you hit the strings with a LOT of energy and strength. But at the same time it sounds very fluid and emotive!!

Isnt't that more exhausting to play with so much "energy"? Have you setup your guitar with high or lower string height? Sorry for all the questions ^^

No problem Ibot,

I do play pretty hard but a long time ago I forced myself to change picks from a 6mm piece of plexiglass (perspex) which I had to make myself, to a red sharkfin. I just found that I was breaking too many strings with the heavy pick. I also upped my string gauge to 11s from 10s.

Playing with the sharkfin I haven't snapped a string since and I'm quite used to it.

My guitars have a fairly low action but not too low as to cause fret buzz.

I also have a bit of an exaggerated vibrato and was wearing out frets until I changed to stainless steel ones.^^ Best thing I ever did!

Thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers.

I watched the "Kemper comparison ... -Part2 " video on utube. First time listening I totally forgot to "watch out for any differences" - the playing and the melodies had my full attention.

So I gave it a second try - same thing ^^ Just got carried away by the awesome song and playing!! So for today I don't care if there are any differences :D I had a long day - for now I just listen to some Hanmer stuff on youtube and enjoy it... with another cold beer in my hand and a big salute to that great guitar player... (and just because I am in the mood: Cheers to ashtweth another day you are missed here... the next bottle(s) for you) :*

Thank you for your comments Ibot,

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thanks, GT,

I am definitely going to profile that H&K amp. It's one of the best amps I've had in the studio.

You have done a very good job here. So often people just play the same 'thrashy' type metal riffs, and not solos or single notes. To me, tonal differences are far more obvious when you hear them in the context of a solo. If I didn't already love my Kemper, your video would have convinced me!

Great work :)

Thanks for the comments, Liam.

I'm also convinced. In fact I haven't played this much since I purchased the Kemper.

Cheers.