Posts by Foxglovestudios

I've heard comparisons that get crazy close, and others that are quite different. Without hearing it myself, hard to pass any kind of judgement, even though the "mid hump" has been observed and addressed many, many times. That being said, plenty of times people say they couldn't hear a difference where I was able to. And don't take this as me saying I have the proverbial "golden ears" as some like to mock, I certainly don't. There have been plenty of times I've struggled to hear a difference that someone else was able to hear and pick out.

None of this makes anything bad, but if we're comparing then it's useful to point them out.

There is definitely a difference in those two clips. Which sounds better? I'm not sure. They are too close to matter. I did post another video and if you listen to that one I think you'll be amazed at just how close they are to each other. It's posted in the forum as my Part 3 video.

I had a great response to my previous video showing the comparison between my Marshall/Super Crunch Box combination and the captured Kemper profile.

There was a very slight difference between the two so I decided to try another pedal/amp combination and see if I could get them even closer.

I used my JCM2000 TSL and the MI Audio Megalith Delta Hi Gain pedal this time and I can say that I’m really happy with the result.

The clip switches randomly between the Kemper profile and the amp/pedal recording.

In fact the two tones are so close that I had to go back and check a few times to see that I had selected the correct recordings.

I also added solo guitar lines instead of just playing basic riffs to see if I’d hear any difference in the single notes but there was also hardly any way of choosing between the two.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Pretty close. If we're being deliberate, the Kemper has the usual "TS" mid hump going on that is more apparent when you hit the open A. The amp is less focused in that area so it feels fuller/smoother and not quite as harsh, but it's still quite close.

Interesting that you say the Kemper has the usual TS mid hump. I've just finished recording a new profile and I've found virtually no difference between the two. I honestly don't hear the "mid hump" in the new comparison.

Add any background sound at all, TV, neighbor mowing the yard, patrons in a bar (you get the idea) and they'd sound exactly the same. I'm not sure the only reason I heard a difference at all was because there was a visual cue isn't the case.

That's why I decided to switch between the two sources in this video. When I initially posted this I posted the two Soundcloud clips individually and it was virtually impossible to distinguish the one from the other.

I'm completely blown away by just how close the profile is to the real amp/pedal combination. It even feels the same compared to the amp.

Something else I noticed is how well the profile reacts when slightly increasing or decreasing the gain on the Kemper. It reacts beautifully! The extra gain in conjunction with the neck pick up of a Les Paul makes this profile sing like crazy.

I like the real amp slightly better on my monitors. The Kemper has an ever so slightly harsh midrange. Don't hear the topend differences described here as much. That amp actually sounds great - and is nicely recorded.

Thanks for the comments. The crunch is actually from the Crunch Box as the amp was set completely clean.

Nice work!

I hear the same thing with every comparison. The tube amps seem to have less top end.

I noticed the same thing when I swapped back and forth between my Bogner and the KPA profile of the same amp and settings (plugged into the speakers of the Bogner).

That is interesting. I'm going to put together another small video clip of my Megalith Delta Hi Gain profile. Lets see if it has the same tendency to be brighter.

I put this clip together to demonstrate a comparison between the captured profile of my live rig and the actual tone using an SM57, an MI Audio Crunch Box and a Marshall JCM2000 TSL.

I posted this before (with two Soundcloud clips) but I think that switching between the two sources in a single clip is a much better way of demoing the differences (if any).

I’ve been using this rig for a number of years and always wanted to capture it’s tone and character. The Kemper does a great job!

I've split the clip into 10 second sections where I switched between the amp and the Kemper. The clip starts off with the amp. The Kemper was recorded directly into the DAW.

Cheers.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

what impresses me the most is your ability to re-create a sound by placing the mic apparently very close to the original spot/distance/angle.

wow.

Thanks Don,

I've been recording that setup for quite a few years now so I do have a good idea where to position the mic etc. The most exciting thing for me is that I've been able to profile these tones therefore avoiding having to setup the mics, amp and pedals anymore.

Considering the variables (the inevitable mic-placement variation is a biggie even if you tried your best to repeat the exercise accurately later on), the similarity is impressive IMHO. 8):thumbup:

Thanks guys,

Yes, mic placement is critical and makes a huge difference. The interesting thing for me was that during the recording process I couldn't get over just how close the "feel" was between the real amp and the Kemper profile.

The best way to do a side by side comparison would be to record the Marshall on a session and take a DI track at the same time. Then swap the mic input from the desk/interface into the KPA and profile it . It will only take about 2 minutes to do but will remove all guess work from the mic positioning etc. Then reamp the profile woth the DI track you already recorded. All of the hard work os in setting up the mics etc for recording/profiling. Once you are happy with that it is a simple jub to make a live recording and profile back to back.

Nice playing, by the way :thumbup:8)

Thanks. Yes, I should have done that but only decided to do the comparison after the fact. I still think that it's pretty close considering all the variables.

I’ve wanted to do this for a while now but just didn’t have the time. I made a profile for my Kemper of my live rig about a month ago and recorded a few clips to demo the profiles.

I decided to record the same clip using the actual live rig setup and make a comparison with the recorded Kemper version.

I eventually got around to recording the MI Audio Crunchbox into my Marshall TSL with an SM57. Admittedly, this actual amp and pedal version was recorded about a month after I created the profile, so I had to try and remember where the mic placement was on the speaker and also what settings I used on the amp and pedal.

I thought that it would still make an interesting comparison with the Kemper profile of this setup. What I can say is from a “feel” point of view, they both felt exactly the same.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Peter.

External Content soundcloud.com

Here is another clip from the same profile pack. This features the Hi gain Megalith Delta. The most impressive part of the profile for me is how well it responds when backing off the guitar volume. You can hear this just over halfway through the track.

Thanks GT, I'm nearly done with the video.

Cheers.

Hi GT, the Profile Pack is available and the video has been uploaded. There is also a free profile from the Pack which can be downloaded. This is all available from my website.

http://www.peterhanmer.co.za

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

I've just uploaded my profile pack of my live rig. The pack consists of 14 profiles and includes profiles of the amp (Marshall JCM2000 Clean, Crunch and Solo) along with all of my favourite pedals (Crunch Box, Blues Pro, Vintage Marshall Drivemaster and Megalith Delta).

I also provided profiles using the JCM Extension cab 92X12) with the two different Celestion Heritage and G12 Vintage. The speakers were miced with an SM57 and the profiles include a switchable eq which I adjusted to fine tune the profile and remove any harshness in the tone. The video demonstrates these tones as they are in the Kemper.

The profile pack can be purchased from my website (http://www.peterhanmer.co.za) as well as a free profile from the pack which can be downloaded. The cost of the pack is US$9.99.

Cheers,

Peter.