Posts by SeanChristopher

The cool thing about the cabs that get used in pre-made kemper amp profiles, is that often they are cabs or speakers I have no idea about. Which is cool. I feel like instead of going down the IR rabbit hole, it'd be better to just change a profile if I dont like it lol

Yeah I typically like most of the cab sections in profiles.

And yeah, going down the IR rabbit hole is time consuming and expensive lol. Instead of auditioning a bunch of IRs to find the right one, I just dial one in and it's like virtually mic'ing the cab up yourself and then shooting IR that way. So it's easier than going through hundreds of IR wav files for me personally lol and its easier than finding another profile. Because I usually dial in an IR for profiles that I really like the feel and response and gain structure of, and I only go through the trouble if I find myself wishing I could tweak the way the cab was mic'd up in the Profile. So I don't need to for every profile I use.

For me, it's an easier process and eliminated my constant looking for IRs and that rabbit hole. But it might not be for everyone.

I just making the suggestion based on the threads title and your original post. I personally usually like most stock cabs, and when I don't I use the Mikko plugin to make IRs just for the profiles I really like, instead of going down an IR rabbit hole lol.

Edit: I've also saved the cab sections I really loved from certain profiles, as presets. So that way I could try them with other profiles and I've gotten some really great results that way too ^^ I'd definitely recommend trying that out too if you haven't yet. Having access to really cool cabs and being able to save them as presets and then use them with the profile of your choice is an awesome thing! The Kemper is so powerful, it's ridiculous and awesome lol :D

Do any of you use these or just use the cabs that come with the profiles you buy? Not interested in getting the Kemper Kabinet yet since I only have the stage and it's not powered.

I usually find that I like a lot of cabs that come with profiles but almost always want to find a better cab sound that works for me.

I use a plugin called Mikko by ML Sound Labs to create my own IRs. You get to use a bunch of different mics and can blend up 9 mics for an IR and depending on the pack you buy, you have access to a bunch of different speakers in great cabs to make your IRs. You virtually move the mics around on the speaker to get the IR you want. So basically, you're virtually shooting your own IRs using the cabs that have been captured and using the mics provided in the plugin (there's 6 different mics and you can blend a combination of 9 mics in a mix).

For me, it changed my workflow and has eliminated the need to buy and go through thousands of IRs lol. It's given ne the ability to make IRs tailored for each profile if I'm not loving the cab section. Being able to fine tune IRs virtually and the UI being so easy to use, has been awesome.

There's a free version but you can't export IRs unless you buy one of the Cabs in the plugin. I personally got the Essentials pack because it seemed like the best value (there's like 9 cabs in it)

If you're not happy with the cab sections in profiles and want an alternative to trying out ridiculous amounts of IRs, I'd highly recommend it. I recommend it every time I see someone ask about IRs. Being able to make your own seems better than buying a pack and hoping you find some good ones.

Or if you're looking for free IR packs, check out SeaCow Cab Impulses. Their IR packs are all free and they're very extensive and include a lot so if you don't wanna make your own, that's a good option too.

I hope this helps!

e1614e36a3b051571d61cb8fdc50c4becad982a2 For some good free IRs, check out SeaCow Cab Impulses. There's a ton of totally FREE IR packs and they're pretty good imo. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for free IRs.

On the other hand with paid IRs, I'd HIGHLY recommend a plugin/standalone program called Mikko by ML Sound Labs. You basically get to virtually create your own IRs. You can mix up to 9 mics on different cabs and you get 6 different mics to use (SM57,MD421, E906, KM184, M160, R121). You virtually move the mics around on the speaker and create your IRs that way. Wayyy better than going through thousands of files lol. I recommend the Essentials Pack which is imo the best value (you get 9 cabs to use to make your own IRs).

Being able to make my own IRs has been awesome and it's eliminated my need to buy IR packs (unless I wanna buy another Mikko cab for access to more speakers for my IR creating 8o) over and over in hopes I'll find some IRs that work for my sound. I can literally create an IR just for a profile if I'm not loving the cab section in a profile. And it's changed my experience with the Kemper for the better. Having total control over the IR's to shape my tone is a factor that's SO HUGE and very underestimated.

There's a free version of Mikko and you get to try out one of the cabs, but you can't export IRs. But it's a free way to try it out and see what you think.

But if you're trying to go the other way and strictly looking for free IR packs, check out SeaCow Cab Impulses https://seacowcabs.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: im not affiliated with ML Sound Lab or anything like that lol, I realized re-reading my post that I sounded like an advertisement hahaha!

Honestly I was just blown away by Mikko when I tried it so, I recommend it when it comes to IRs.

welcome to the family ?

As Ingolf said, ultimately it’s your choice. For me it was about the feel, not just the great tone.
    on “ToneWars “ my friend Jarrod had 5 players (mostly metal, hard rock) I was the old classic rock guy. All but the owner of the Axfexlll picked the Kemper for tone&feel

If you aren’t into endless tinkering, I would go with the Kemper

Good Luck

I love Tone Wars and really enjoyed both Kemper vs Axe FX III Fight Nights! Lol

If people in basically a blind test not knowing which is which, almost all picked the Kemper between the two units when asked to pick which felt more like a real tube amp, then that really says something!

Its super cool you were on an episode and I had no idea you were so active on the Kemper forum. That's so awesome!

I personally decided between the Kemper and Axe FX III by testing them both side by side and taking a few days with them both together to see which I preferred and how they compared to each other sonically. (I bought my Kemper and borrowed a friend's Axe-Fx III when my Kemper arrived)

For me, the Kemper sounded more rich and dynamic, and I liked the responsiveness and feel I experience while playing through the Kemper. Both the Kemper and Axe FX III have really dynamic sounding amp emulations in them though. The Axe FX III has more variety when it comes to effects and ODs and the effects are honestly really really good. But in my opinion, the effects in the Kemper are really good as well and especially the Delay and Reverb options in the Kemper rival some of the best Delay/Reverb pedals around. With that being said, the Axe FX III has more flexibility when it comes to routing and crazy setups. But they're both great units and both can most likely cover your needs.

It comes down to how you want to use the unit, features you want and need, and price range (if that's a factor to you. To some it isn't so that I'm not sure what your situation is). I'm sure you'll be happy with either but, the question is which one will you be happier with, and which will get you the results you want faster.

I went with the Kemper Stage. The form factor was perfect for me and it seemed line the better deal (Kemper rack/Kemper head plus foot controller is more than just the Kemper Stage) but, the Kemper rack and head units definitely have their advantages!

Good luck on your journey! I hope you enjoy whichever unit you get ? both are killer pieces of gear!

Thanks Wheresthedug for all the info and all of your help.

I wasn't sure if any other users were experiencing what I was so I figured I'd ask on the forum about it. Since it's looking like it's a bug and not just me being dumb lol, I'll email Kemper support in hopes my info helps.

Thanks for replying @G String

Its nice to know the Kemper team are always on top of whatever new bugs pop up :thumbup:

i would suggest logging this a bug with Kemper and they will investigate. If it is a bug they don’t know about the will fix it quickly and release a system update.

Also, are you experiencing the issue/bug with the Low Cut and High Cut as well Wheresthedug?

No one has replied saying anything about experiencing the bug I'm talking about, so idk it its only happening to me or not. And since no one's said anything, I'm feeling like I'm just dumb and maybe that's just how Low Cut and High Cut work and maybe I just don't understand how the parameters work or something lol :D

Wheresthedug how do I go about logging out with them and reporting the bug?

Also, I've had my Kemper give me an error screen and weird message a handful of times but it was always something a restart fixed so, I've never reported any of it or contacted Kemper over it. Do you think in the future, I should report that stuff too? Or only UI bugs and stuff? (sorry for a question that's only semi - related to the topic lol)

Hi everyone,

I think there's a bug with the Low Cut and High Cut in the Editor but, I'm not sure if I'm the only one experiencing the problem.

I noticed that the values for the Low Cut amd High Cut parameters in the Output section are the same in the Editor. So the whole range of the Low Cut (up to 800/900 Hz) is before 1/4 of the way around the dial in the Editor. And if you go to the output section in the Kemper and then adjust the Low Cut from there and watch both screens, the values on the Editor are different and work differently than if you adjust from the Editor. And from the Editor it's pretty hard to find where the Low Cut is actually at. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be but, it seemed like a bug or something to me.

Also, the High Cut parameter doesn't correspond between the Profiler and the Editor. For example : if you go in the output section on your Kemper and leave that screen up, and then turn the dial in the Editor, if you watch the screen of the Kemper, the values are totally different (like a big gap apart). And if you do it the other way around and adjust the High Cut on your Kemper and watch the Editor, the dial turns but values between the Editor and Kemper are different. So idk if the High Cut in the Editor isn't working properly or what the bug is.

Figured I'd ask about this and try to find out if it's a bug and if others are experiencing it. I hope I made sense and didn't sound too confusing or crazy lol!

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't sure if we were ever able to type in values but, I thought I might have been mixing up having that feature with another program in my workflow. Thanks for clearing that up for me Wheresthedug and @G String ! ?

As for the Low Cut parameter values in the output section in the Editor, are those values supposed to be the same as the High Cut? In the Kemper Output menu, the Low Cut dial goes up to somewhere between 800 and 900 Hz I believe. But in the Editor, the Low Cut dial has the same range as the High Cut so, you hit 1kHz in between the first 2 dots on the dial (if that makes any sense lol)

So it's really hard to dial in the Low Cut from the Editor.

Not sure if i that''s a bug or not but, figured I'd mention it.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's a way in RM Editor to type in the values for parameters. I could have sworn I've done it that way in the editor a few weeks ago or something when seeing a post about a few cool new shortcuts. But I realized when trying it tonight(shortly after updating to the latest public beta), I can't do it like that lol. Is there a way to do it that way(typing in values for parameters)? And if not, has it always been that way?

Also, I noticed in the output section in the editor that the values for the "Low Cut" parameters are the same as the "High Cut", instead of just going up to around 800/900 Hz. So basically, the dial/knob goes from 0 to 1khz before it even gets 1/8 of the way around. Idk if that's normal or not but, it seemed weird so I figured I'd ask about it lol.

I don't like to complain and I hope it doesn't come off like that. I just noticed these 2 things right after I did the latest update and I started wondering if it was a few bugs from the latest update or something. Or maybe, it's nothing and you could never type in values and the "Low Cut" dial just has the same range as the "High Cut" and I'm trippin lol.

Anyways, let me know you guys! ^^

I've also been a victim of the rabbit hole of using IR's with profiles lol. After a few months of endless tweaking, I finally found a solution that works for me.

For me, the solution was a plugin called "Mikko" by ML Sound Labs. It's basically a cab sim plugin, where you can virtually move around mics on different speakers from various cabs. And you can export the IRs you create, and use them with your Kemper.

Before using "Mikko", I would end up with a bunch of variations of profiles using different IRs. I realized I was experimenting because I was looking for a specific sound and couldn't find it. So now, I'll use the Mikko plugin, and I'll create an IR based on the tone I'm looking for. Being able to tailor IRs to profiles and fine tune them has been game changing for my workflow, and for the tones I've been getting.

Definitely a game changer for me so, I figured I'd share it with you guys. If you want to create IRs and be able to tailor them to profiles, then I'd highly recommend checking out the "Mikko" plugin.

P.S. I'm not endorsed or advertising or anything. I just ended up being blown away by the Mikko plugin and it solved the problem of trying to find the right IR's for different profiles.

I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping someone can help me understand.

From what I was seeing in this thread, the issue at hand is that people are experiencing more latency with SPDIF, than with Analog Outputs, right? Which is weird because SPDIF requires one less conversion or something right?

And Christoph Kemper hopped in the thread and kindly explained why latency is variable and not always in their control when it comes to AD/DA converters and that they're looking into getting the latency for the analog outs, back down to what it was at its prime back in another firmware. Which is super awesome and I'm glad he chimed in. It's really cool to see the Big CK himself in the threads here on the forum! ^^

But I didn't see any explanation for why SPDIF is experiencing more latency and I'm wondering if someone from Kemper has said whether or not it's being looked into. I thought the extra latency through SPDIF was the issue at hand?

Am I missing something?

I'm feeling like I'm not understanding all of the thread and I'm very interested in using SPDIF instead of the main outs for recording but, I'd like to avoid using it if the latency is so much more when using SPDIF.

So awesome! I'm glad you got your Kemper back Jevo

It's great to know that the Kemper team gives such a high level of customer service and user support, that they helped with you eventually getting your Kemper back after being stolen!

Congrats on getting it back! :)

Sure, I do support them.

Meanwhile, I've received a replacement unit (last one from the display) and I'll get a new one when the next shipment arrives (hopefully in a month).

I'm glad you're getting all the stuff sorted and that you're being taken care of in that way. That's great to hear :)

I can totally appreciate how you continued to support your local music shop. But I also know that buying from an online retailer can have its advantages too. Either way, we're all people in the same boat, just trying to get our gear to play/make music :) and what we're doing with the gear we have, and how it improves our lives, is what matters the most.

Sorry for the tangent. I didn't wanna give the impression that I was pushing you to buy local in my last post lol. I know it depends on the situation and, I support people just getting their gear in general. So I'm super happy that you got this all worked out and that you're getting a new and working unit ^^

That's possible... I guess it's different if you buy it on a local store or directly from Kemper (or from countries that the stock is replaced often).

I can see how that would make a difference in a situation like this. I got my Kemper Stage from American Musical Supply, and I pre-ordered it right after I saw that some of the stuff from the early batches had been fixed.

But with that being said, I always encourage people to support their local music shop! I hope in this situation, you still can get a solid unit and still get to keep on supporting your local shop :)

Good luck and I'm sure your next unit will be a great one! (any Kemper unit without any problems is great imo lol)^^

I got my Kemper Stage around September and it's been solid as well. I've had it give me an error code a 2 or 3 times but only in browser mode. I've never had any problems in performance mode and bugs reported with the Stage tend to get fixed pretty quickly once found.

I'd say it's a good call to get a Stage. They're solid and since the recent updates, have only gotten better:thumbup:

Yes SliderJeff is correct. Go back to Pete's website and click on the profiles. It tells you what kind of profiles they are. I think he also has a FAQ page that tells you about how he profiles. okstrat am I correct?

After going back and looking, it says on the FAQ page that after the 3.0 update, he does mostly Merged Profiles. For some of the packs it says what kind of profiles they contain. For a few I was looking at, the info just included how many profiles and not what kind. So I'm thinking, any profile packs like that, without the specific type of profiles in the description, are probably Studio Profiles made before the update that allowed Merged Profiles to be made. That's more than enough info for me ^^

Thanks for your help SliderJeff and rik777 ! Going back and checking out the FAQ page gave me some info on the newer profile packs and it definitely helps a lot:)

I'm super interested in the Modded Marshall packs. Are the profiles in these Studio, Merged, or both?

I checked the website and there isn't any info about what kind of profiles are in the different profile packs, just how many profiles and info about the amps.

Any info would be appreciated :)